Difficult to get the pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Difficult to get the pennies

Postby balz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm

I live in Canada and it is pretty difficult to get boxes of pennies. At first banks will give me one or two, but then ask me to get membership. So I got membership and then after getting some more boxes they say I need a commercial account to get more. This is frustrating as I can waste hours only to find 2 boxes of pennies... I'm not sure I want to waste money and time to get commercial account too.

What is your trick? I tried honesty, I tried to lie, I've been kind, I've been an a$$, but every time it's the Big Bank against me the freak who collect pennies...

Thanks
balz
Penny Collector Member

Re: Difficult to get the pennies

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I would guess it is just a Canadian thing, I have no problems in the USA. Maybe because the government sorts out the copper?
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Same here, however, I found a few branches from Desjardins (Credit Union in Québec) which do not apply the same corporate rules.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby balz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

I had the most trouble with Desjardins. Some of those folks asked me in front of other customers if I was going to melt the pennies... With TD there is no problem getting 3-4 boxes at first, but when I ask for more they tell me I need a merchant account. I don't know what to do; I need 10 boxes a week and it's getting complicated
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 am

The only thing i can say is keep looking for other banks. Meet the people and hopefully find a few that have nice employees. Although banks are not made equal, all of them CAN order you coin. It's a matter of whether or not the employee's want to deal with you.

I lost all my suppliers about 3 months ago... :(

Now i'm back with a new group of banks. :)

Piece of advice. Don't be an ass to the bank employees. If you find a particular branch is giving you a lot of trouble, move on. You'll find another branch nearby that will help you.

I don't know if there are a lot of banks in your area. But good luck...

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice... Got many banks in my area, but I need half to dump the pennies, and they are all nice to me at first until they find out that I want to order pennies every week...

Any other advice beside been friendly with the teller?

Sometimes I wish I live in the U.S. Seems easier to get pennies.

Thanks!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 am

balz wrote:Sometimes I wish I live in the U.S. Seems easier to get pennies.

Sure it's easier.. but the copper percentages are lower. What, you thought this was easy? If it was, everybody would be doing it. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby balz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 am

You are right...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:24 am

But still, it seems to me it may be easier with 25% Cu in USA than with 40% Cu in Canada... Not talking about ARP which make any try at nickels or dime completely useless...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 am

Are you serious that it's still 40% in CA? That's crazy. I thought it was like 30% at best...

That really makes me consider making a run to CA buying 10k and sorting it here in the US...
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:40 am

Have you tried talking to any local business' that take in coin. I have about 10 shops such as donut and coffie shops who take in large amounts of coin. Bars and clubs are the same. Also try charity places hate to roll coin so they will sell you the coin. Just make up a card or leave your name to call when they get some. I'm in Nova Scotia and go through phases of [shucks] trying to get coin but I try to shift every once in awhile. My coin of choice is nickel but every 3 week I will only buy quarter or dimes. If anyone ever asks if you melt them tell them if they were melted then you would have to prove what the compostion was. You don't have to the way they are. The government does it for us.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm

JobIII wrote:Are you serious that it's still 40% in CA? That's crazy. I thought it was like 30% at best...

That really makes me consider making a run to CA buying 10k and sorting it here in the US...

Yes, about 40%, and sometimes even more... Got a 60% yesterday... Worst score so far was about 30%...

And I prefer canadian pennies because the date is more easy to read and you know immediately if it is OK or not simply looking at the queen (crown, no crown, young, old). In comparison, Lincoln is always... Lincoln.

The only thing that is more complicated is that because the pennies changed many times in the last decades, my automatic sorter does not run that good. I am sure it would be easier with US pennies for that...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:35 pm

nero12345 wrote:Have you tried talking to any local business' that take in coin. I have about 10 shops such as donut and coffie shops who take in large amounts of coin. Bars and clubs are the same. Also try charity places hate to roll coin so they will sell you the coin. Just make up a card or leave your name to call when they get some. I'm in Nova Scotia and go through phases of s--t trying to get coin but I try to shift every once in awhile. My coin of choice is nickel but every 3 week I will only buy quarter or dimes. If anyone ever asks if you melt them tell them if they were melted then you would have to prove what the compostion was. You don't have to the way they are. The government does it for us.

I should try this, but I feel like it could be a lot of work...

I'm trying something new those days. I call different banks and try to order 3-4 boxes of pennies. Then, I will give them a 2-3 weeks break and will try again then. Maybe if they feel like it is occasional they will help me better.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Common Cents » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Preview of what's to come here in the States. Getting coins from banks will become increasingly difficult as more and more people become aware of sorting. When copper passes $5, I think word will start to get out. Banks tolerate us now (for the most part) because relatively few people search coins for their metal value. This will all change before long.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby balz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Common Cents wrote:Preview of what's to come here in the States. Getting coins from banks will become increasingly difficult as more and more people become aware of sorting. When copper passes $5, I think word will start to get out. Banks tolerate us now (for the most part) because relatively few people search coins for their metal value. This will all change before long.

Exactly. One of the bank I go to just received a memo saying to stop selling boxes of pennies to people unless they have a merchant account.

I hope I won't have to get a merchant account because the fees will eat the profits... :?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 am

Regardless of the troubles mentioned above, sorting CA pennies is really tempting. If only I lived closer to Canada.
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing