Nickels or Pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Nickels or Pennies?

Postby njoElec » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

Hey everyone.
I would like different opinions on saving copper pennies and nickels.

Which one would be better to stack? Lately I've been buying nickels in small amounts from various banks. A lot of banks don't care if you ask for a small amount (like $10-20) compared to a big box of $100.

But here is a trick question - would it be better to invest in silver compared to copper?
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Nickels or Pennies?

Postby balz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 am

Hi!

I think if you live in the U.S. nickels can be a good option if you don't have time to sort. You just buy the boxes and store them.

About silver... I will buy some myself; I think it is a good option. In the future, 1/10 oz silver might be our today's 100$ bill while copper pennies might be our 1$ bill! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:01 pm

I think it's best to wait to hoard nickels on a large scale. It's not like they are going to change the composition tomorrow.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm

SoFa, It might be wise to at least get a start on stacking nickles. Once they announce a composition change, it might not take long before it gets really hard to acquire them. There would probably be a lot of people jumping in the game once it is announced because the melt is already above face. I think banks would start telling people to hit the road if they had a steady stream of people coming in asking for nickles. Maybe I am wrong, but I have a feeling that there is not going to be much of a window once it's officially announced.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby njoElec » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:35 pm

NHSorter -
I definitely agree with you. My minimum goal is to have 5 boxes of Nickels and a 5 gallon bucket of copper cents. Once I get the bucket goal completed, I'll focus solely on nickels. Right now I'm going through cents as much as I can and it works out perfectly since I don't have classes holding me down as hard this semester which gives me more free time to sort pennies. I prefer to sort by hand anyways :D
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing