Feeling guilty?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Feeling guilty?

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello all!
Only been here a bit but I am noticing (I think) that more than a few people here seem to feel as though what they are doing is wrong somehow?

I can't say I feel guilty or wrong or bad or any other thing collecting pennies and it really doesn't take much to make me feel bad!

Am I missing something? Should we be sneaking around (I don't even know how to do that) from bank to bank? I tell the teller IF they ask I am taking anything over face value and nobody has cared. I'm not doing anything illegal, going to a bank for change, no matter how little, OR how much, (with a little notice) it is just banking. Isn't that what banks want us to do, bank?

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Feeling guilty?

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Who do you feel is implying they feel guilty? I think you have taken it the wrong way. The "sneaking" is because OTHER PEOPLE might get upset. I doubt anyone here feels any guilt for collecting and/or hoarding. And they should not.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:15 pm

No guilt here. Why would I? If anything I feel sorry for all the suckers out there that have no idea what's going on. Not that they would even do anything about it if they knew.... Hard to sneak around when you wheel in dolly after dolly of penny bags.

Banks don't want you to just "bank". They want your money....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 pm

barrytrot wrote:Who do you feel is implying they feel guilty? I think you have taken it the wrong way. The "sneaking" is because OTHER PEOPLE might get upset. I doubt anyone here feels any guilt for collecting and/or hoarding. And they should not.

You are right.
I should not have used the word guilty, thats not quite what I'm seeing.
For instance on my "trouble" thread

balz wrote:
Honesty does not work. This is what I do believe now. I tried to open an account with a new bank and told them about the coins I needed and the fact that I am a collector etc. and they refused...

The only strategy that seems to work for me is going from bank to bank and not ordering for weeks with the same banks."

So I guess what I am seeing is it looks like a lot of people on here would rather that the banks don't question, or know about WHY we want all the pennies and I am wondering why that is? The bank doesn't care what you do with your money.

IF I am "seeing"it wrong which I admit I might very well be, would you please explain why almost secrecy about the whole thing.
Thank you.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:No guilt here. Why would I? If anything I feel sorry for all the suckers out there that have no idea what's going on. Not that they would even do anything about it if they knew.... Hard to sneak around when you wheel in dolly after dolly of penny bags.

Banks don't want you to just "bank". They want your money....

Deal

This is true. Walmart doesnt just want me to buy a candy bar either, however they are more than happy to sell me one, or one million. As often as I like.

Edit for bade spelling
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I don't know about everyone else but I do not like to let anyone know about the value of copper pennies because I don't want everyone in my area hoarding, maybe I am just selfish. Maybe some of the guilt you are talkng about is people trying not to let everyone know about copper
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

I sort....order boxes and such......the bank gals know what I do.....Hell they call me when something cool comes in.......No Guilt.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Only time I feel guilty is when the little girly tellers have to change the machine bags because of me. :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Verbane » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 pm

I think you're seeing two different mind sets in the posts here.

First is apprehension, (which could manifest as guilt), by new people becoming informed in metals. Think about the first time you asked a bank for a box of cents/coins. Unsure of the response, there are numerous feelings/thoughts running through your head. You know that some of the coins you get are worth more that face value, yet society in general sees everything at a 1 for 1 value. As you gain confidence the second mind set kicks in, Secrecy.

Second is secrecy. You are informed. You know the value of a copper cent. You want more copper cents.
Do you want Joe Public to know you hoard? Joe Public thinks Preppers are freaks and teabaggers, hoarders are "sick".
Do you want Joe Thug to know you hoard? Joe Thug doesn't care that your cents have an increased tangible value, cents are spendable.
Do you want Joe Government to know you hoard? Joe Government thinks you have had a capital gain, gains equal more tax revenue.
Do you want Joe Banker to know you hoard? Joe banker realizes profit from the uninformed, you are certainly too well informed.
The relationships you develop with Jane Teller are special, Jane teller helps increase your net worth. You don't want someone else moving into your territory. Therefore, Secrecy.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Ok, thank you!
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Verbane wrote:I think you're seeing two different mind sets in the posts here.

First is apprehension, (which could manifest as guilt), by new people becoming informed in metals. Think about the first time you asked a bank for a box of cents/coins. Unsure of the response, there are numerous feelings/thoughts running through your head. You know that some of the coins you get are worth more that face value, yet society in general sees everything at a 1 for 1 value. As you gain confidence the second mind set kicks in, Secrecy.

Second is secrecy. You are informed. You know the value of a copper cent. You want more copper cents.
Do you want Joe Public to know you hoard? Joe Public thinks Preppers are freaks and teabaggers, hoarders are "sick".
Do you want Joe Thug to know you hoard? Joe Thug doesn't care that your cents have an increased tangible value, cents are spendable.
Do you want Joe Government to know you hoard? Joe Government thinks you have had a capital gain, gains equal more tax revenue.
Do you want Joe Banker to know you hoard? Joe banker realizes profit from the uninformed, you are certainly too well informed.
The relationships you develop with Jane Teller are special, Jane teller helps increase your net worth. You don't want someone else moving into your territory. Therefore, Secrecy.

Well put. Yes and yes.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby balz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:10 am

Amen.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Economist » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 am

Verbane nailed it!

No guilt whatsoever here, but I'm not about to go broadcasting what I do with my coins.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby njoElec » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:36 am

Verbane - loved your post man! I just love that rushing feeling when I pick up a box of pennies because I KNOW what copper cents are really worth!!!!!! :D
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:42 am

No guilt. What I tell them depends on their attitudes and where I am.
I'm waiting to be frozen out by Wells FeeGo, so I try to be unobtrusive when I go there.
fb101

Postby goldteam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 am

It's not guilt so much as it is them knowing you are doing something very little people do.

There is no difference in changing a 100 dollar bill for a bunch of 10's, or changing a 100 dollar bill for 10,000 pennies.

The guilt or uncomfortable feeling is the fact they have to go look in their safe, some weak chic with big cans has to lift them to you, and you have to walk out and bring them back somewhere.

That can be a little uneasy at first, but you get over it quickly.

Remember, they are ripping you off blind when you borrow money and have to pay twice as much back...........they can put in a little effort to lift a few boxes for you.
goldteam

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 am

Again thank you for your input.
I guess I never felt unsure or or anxious the first Times I have asked for boxes of pennies which was just a couple weeks ago. I did not know I was suppose to be nervous about it.

Joe Public does not know what I am doing with my pennies standing at the bank, if he is going to follow me home and steal from someone, do you really think it would be somebody hauling pennies home?

Govt? there is no capital gains when you haven't gained anything, you (or rather I) am just making change.
Joe banker already knows more about my banking habits than I do, thats what they do.

I guess i just don't worry about it. Which is nice because I worry about everything else LOL.

Thanks.

EDIT four bad spelling
Last edited by CoolRide on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 am

fb101 wrote:No guilt. What I tell them depends on their attitudes and where I am.
I'm waiting to be frozen out by Wells FeeGo, so I try to be unobtrusive when I go there.

Here is the PERFECT example of what I'm talking about. "no guilt."

Yet you are "waiting to be frozen out"?

Are you afraid the gas station wont sell you gas?

Or the shoe store is about to "freeze you"?
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 am

Yeah. Guilt is different. Guilt is about "I'm doing something bad"
Guilt is not about "I'm doing something cool and I deal with a bunch of people who are too dumb or lazy to follow and may persecute me out of jealousy" or any one of a thousand variations.
The people at my WF were great as wachovians, but WF has already added fee upon fee to various things since the conversion 3 weeks ago.
fb101

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 pm

fb101 wrote:Yeah. Guilt is different. Guilt is about "I'm doing something bad"
Guilt is not about "I'm doing something cool and I deal with a bunch of people who are too dumb or lazy to follow and may persecute me out of jealousy" or any one of a thousand variations.
The people at my WF were great as wachovians, but WF has already added fee upon fee to various things since the conversion 3 weeks ago.

Oh K. I'm getting it now (I think) your bank has recently been bought out/ takin over and they are changing their policy's and rules and such?

Like adding fee upon fee.

Well thanks again guys and gals I appreciate the information!
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Guilt is for people who cannot make decisions.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 pm

galenrog wrote:Guilt is for people who cannot make decisions.

Yes, as I stated in a previous post, I should not have used the word "guilty" maybe apprehensive is a better term.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing