The small joys of hoarding

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The small joys of hoarding

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Does anybody else glean satisfaction from taking cu cents out of circulation? I realize that my hoarding is akin to taking a Dixie cup out of Lake Erie. However, I find some small joy whenever I add to my holdings.

Perhaps the silver hoarders of yesteryear felt the same.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Re: The small joys of hoarding

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

I am in total agreement with you. Cup by cup, let's drain this swamp.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Absolutely!! My change at the gas station today was 28 cents, one quarter and three copper pennies! Amazing the joy that you can get from the smallest of things.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 pm

+1

Sorting from boxes and bags is one thing; getting 3 cents copper change reinforces why you do it in the first place.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Morsecode wrote:+1

Sorting from boxes and bags is one thing; getting 3 cents copper change reinforces why you do it in the first place.

Agreed... It is a sweet feeling getting copper in change and 3 out of 3 would have put a big smile on my face, even though 3 cents is essentially insignificant with all the penny's I have stacked. I had 9 cents due to me at McDonalds the other day and I was hoping for a couple coppers and the slacker just gave me a dime back.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 pm

NHsorter wrote:
Morsecode wrote:+1

Agreed... It is a sweet feeling getting copper in change and 3 out of 3 would have put a big smile on my face, even though 3 cents is essentially insignificant with all the penny's I have stacked. I had 9 cents due to me at McDonalds the other day and I was hoping for a couple coppers and the slacker just gave me a dime back.

I was pumping gas a while back and purposely stopped the pump at $34.81 so I would get a dime, a nickel and 4 pennies in change (a chance for silver in the wild, a nickel for storage and a chance for some Cu). Well, the chump behind the register gave me two dimes in change. I tried again at the same station several days later, different cashier, same results. Then I tried by stopping the pump at $XX.82 and I'll be dadblamed if they didn't still give me two dimes as change. So that time I was two pennies ahead, but unfairly robbed of my copper searching thrill. Now, since the sweet deal on the Presidential Dollar Coin is over, I just pay with a credit card.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MikeyPooh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:46 pm

That happens to me ALL THE TIME! The part about cashiers just rounding up. Drives me nuts, lol.... but I don't want to be the weirdo demanding the right change. Once... I forget the situation, but the cashier pulled out a quarter from her pocket and gave it to me. I guess I looked a bit shocked as I said "no you don't have to do that" and she just looked at me and said "it's ok it's just a quarter." Ah well.
MikeyPooh

Postby uthminsta » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 pm

This is anecdotal proof that the cent is no longer needed.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rosco » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:27 am

But the Youngsters never bought Penny candy
nor do they Sort ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:47 am

I'm kind of young, I never bought penny candy, and I do sort! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:32 am

I remember a penny bubble gum machine in a drugstore that used to be in my neighborhood.
Does that qualify me as an "oldster"? :lol:

In my anime hobby all you have to do to be an "oldster" is own VHS tapes. We have some
pretty young "oldsters" in that group. ;)

Of course in ham radio my older friend that walks with a cane is considered a "kid" still. :lol:
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 am

fansubs_ca wrote:I remember a penny bubble gum machine in a drugstore that used to be in my neighborhood.
Does that qualify me as an "oldster"? :lol:

In my anime hobby all you have to do to be an "oldster" is own VHS tapes. We have some
pretty young "oldsters" in that group. ;)

Of course in ham radio my older friend that walks with a cane is considered a "kid" still. :lol:

We still have one in our family business. Sadly, the return is usually only 10-16% cu.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing