Turning scrap copper into bullion coins

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Turning scrap copper into bullion coins

Postby needler420 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm debating whether to cash my copper in for precious metals or finding a refiner/mint that will convert scrap into bullion.

I think NWTM does it for silver at $1.00 per ounce conversation rate. So if i find a mint that does it with copper at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind sitting on a few pounds of copper bullion coins in nice tubes. I like to be able to pay around $1.00 per pound converted to coins.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Turning scrap copper into bullion coins

Postby natsb88 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:40 pm

needler420 wrote:I'm debating whether to cash my copper in for precious metals or finding a refiner/mint that will convert scrap into bullion.

I think NWTM does it for silver at $1.00 per ounce conversation rate. So if i find a mint that does it with copper at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind sitting on a few pounds of copper bullion coins in nice tubes. I like to be able to pay around $1.00 per pound converted to coins.

That will NEVER happen. You just said it would cost $1 per ounce for silver (which I believe is a little low), and now you're asking somebody to process ~15 times as much metal for the same $1. Why would anybody do that when they can just stick to silver? Copper also requires more energy because it melts at a higher temperature, and much more careful handling because it oxidizes when molten. It is a beast to work with compared to silver.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Turning scrap copper into bullion coins

Postby needler420 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm

natsb88 wrote:
needler420 wrote:I'm debating whether to cash my copper in for precious metals or finding a refiner/mint that will convert scrap into bullion.

That will NEVER happen. You just said it would cost $1 per ounce for silver (which I believe is a little low), and now you're asking somebody to process ~15 times as much metal for the same $1. Why would anybody do that when they can just stick to silver? Copper also requires more energy because it melts at a higher temperature, and much more careful handling because it oxidizes when molten. It is a beast to work with compared to silver.

So what would the conversion rate be at turning scrap to bullion per pound?
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing