I am not alone.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I am not alone.

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:51 pm

I thought I was the only penny sorter in the area until a credit union I get my stock from told me someone came in asking to buy bags of pennies and halves sometime in the past week. They sold him the halves (I don't play the half dollar game) but said they don't have any pennies. I'm so glad I hooked the tellers up with chocolate last week. I just hope the new guy in town doesn't dump his zinc into my bags sometime in the future.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I am not alone.

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 pm

I realized there was someone in my area a few months back when I kept getting their marked rolls of zincs. Not sure what was more suprising, realizing there was another sorter or wondering why there weren't more.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 pm

I know of one heavy dime sorter in my area, and maybe a couple small time wheat cent sorters, but that's it. Then again I'm only dealing with my credit union and TD Bank...so if someone's working the B of A's I guess we'd never cross paths anyway.

The local craigslist is devoid of penny sellers, if that means anything.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm

There's a guy here who is heavy into halves and I have come across his dumps (I don't do many halves, just an occasional roll or two), but I don't know of any other "penny guys." When I first started a year or two ago, I figured that there would be a bunch of people doing it. I'm surprised there aren't more.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:12 am

i live in stl, mo. here we have 100's of banks. i love doing half dollar bags, they are always full of silver to get at face value.

they are $500.00 for a bag, i don't usually have $500 at one time in cash that is not tied up to something else, so i usually don't get the opportunity to buy any bags, and there is waiting lists at all of the banks, i used to be on the lists but it is a hassle to keep up with maintaining the relationship with over a a hundred banks, (thats trying to see them once every other week). Point is if you have $500, and a local bank that has half dollar bags, I would jump all over them. I have bought maybe 20 bags in my whole life,,,,,,over half had many silvers. 2 bags were almost all silver, i also found a colonial connecticut copper in one of them. Now I have major competition, it is near impossible to get a bag that isn't already searched in STL.
(you can tell when they are searched they have ink on the half-dollars, mostly "X's", or dots. Makes them easy to identify when you buy another bag, you recognize your own marks.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Siberous » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:30 am

I am New to North Carolina, So I'm still getting my banks down. I'm From Ohio and had the local Bank Ladies saving me wheats when they came across them, Bribed them with cookies! :D
Siberous

Postby twentybux » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Siberous wrote:I am New to North Carolina, So I'm still getting my banks down. I'm From Ohio and had the local Bank Ladies saving me wheats when they came across them, Bribed them with cookies! :D

Welcome to the addiction, Siberous! :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing