Odds of a Steel Penny sorting?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Odds of a Steel Penny sorting?

Postby Henchman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Found my 2nd Indian Head tonight, 1901 in very good condition. I still have not found a 43 Steel. Wondering what the odds are finding them in the wild. I rather have more Indians of course just curious. :D

Side note, I got 5 steel from a Ocean's First bank one day after a dump. The nice teller thought my daughter would think they were cool after I told her we sort pennies. A collection must have been brought in but that was all she had. :(

Someone got some odds on a steely wild find?

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Odds of a Steel Penny sorting?

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Most coin counters have a magnet that gets the steel ones. My guess is the the teller who gave the steel ones got them off the magnet.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I still run across one every once and a while in my bags. I have magnets on my Ryedale chutes to catch them and any other steel coins.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 pm

I find steelies all the time. One or two a month, ususally. Usually via the dump magnet. Have yet to find an indian (in this century), though, so you've got two on me there.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

I to find the steels ones, last month I found 48 of them in a $10 CWR box. In 2 years I have found 2 rolls of steelies and 4 IH's.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 1saved3.11earned » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 pm

First Steel wheat I ever found was at the grocery store, on the ground.
1saved3.11earned

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Got one in a roll a few months back.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:13 pm

I've been hand sorting for a year or two, and have found 2 Indians but no steelies yet.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I don't expect that I will ever find a steel penny in a box of machine rolled coins. But I did find one the day in some CWRs.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:58 pm

1 stealie for me, 1 1909 VDB, 1 Indian head cent guess that makes them just about as rare eh..... Not really a clue I would think they would run pretty close to the feathered man's rarity.

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:05 am

ScottyTX wrote:1 stealie for me, 1 1909 VDB, 1 Indian head cent guess that makes them just about as rare eh..... Not really a clue I would think they would run pretty close to the feathered man's rarity.

Scotty
He is a she. :mrgreen: The Indian Head cent is lady Liberty wearing a feather head dress of an Amerindian see--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Head_cent
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:21 am

I found a 1943 steel cent about 4 years ago in a box, and no steel since then.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 am

Steel cents? BAH! I know they served a useful purpose in WWII and think they look superb in Unc to high mint state condition. The ones I've encountered in the wild are pretty much reduced to heavily rusted disks. It's been almost 70 years since the were minted. That begs the questions:

Why haven't they been previously snagged by a magnet in the bank or Fed Reserve sorting process?

How'd they get so damn rusty? That didn't happen overnight.

If the rusty ones were plentiful, I'd gather as many as I could and ship them off to one of the places that reprocesses them into sparkling gems. I think the rusty rolls are bought at about $3 each. Nicely circulated ones are several times that, I believe.

Since they don't exist in large numbers, I usually throw the bad ones away. I know. I know. I'm not in the practice of actually throwing my money away, but do make an exception for the really crusty ones. Couple months ago, I tried leaving a couple of the bad ones in the "Need-a-Penny, Leave-a-Penny" plastic tray at a gas station and the wingnut clerk there yelled at me for leaving rusty "washers" there. I tried a 15 second explanation, but immediately realized the concept of a steel cent went way beyond Goober's thought processes. I grabbed them out of the tray and threw them into the trash on my way out the door. Oh, the humanity!!!

They really were plentiful in the late 1960s. Funny. My Dad, who served in the war, always called them "white pennies." Never understood that, but maybe others have heard them referred to in that way.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Just found my first "wild" steel cent in a reject tray of a coinstar machine.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BOHICA » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 am

I received one in change about a month ago.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing