Do any of you just look at your stash as money set aside

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do any of you just look at your stash as money set aside

Postby goldteam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:12 am

You get basically 0 percent interest anyway.

Rather than have a 100 dollar green paper bill, why not have 100 in copper.

You still have 100 either way.

If copper never really takes off or if they never lift the melt ban......don't you still look at it as money in savings?

It's as if you can't lose.
goldteam

Re: Do any of you just look at your stash as money set aside

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:03 am

I look at paper money stash as cash with a downside. Just don't know how big of a downside yet.

I look at my copper stash as cash with an upside. Just don't know how big of an upside yet.

I look at my silver and gold on a weekly basis. Spread out on the table in front of me while drinking a beer. :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:59 am

I do look at it that way except that it *does have interest* unless I cash it in.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HD-Daddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 am

I recently came to the conclusion that my copper and Nicks would suffice as an emergency cash stash which free's up some Frn's that I use to keep at home. So now I can use the Frn's to buy more PM's.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 am

NHsorter wrote:I look at paper money stash as cash with a downside. Just don't know how big of a downside yet.
I look at my copper stash as cash with an upside. Just don't know how big of an upside yet.
I look at my silver and gold on a weekly basis. Spread out on the table in front of me while drinking a beer. :D

Great post, love it.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Henchman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

The main reason I went full on crazy with the hoarding was for this reason. My wife would spend my cash like it was going out of style and we would not really put much into savings because of this. If I was lucky $100 each month would hit our savings. I feel that the hoard is the savings account now. Each week I put more and more into it. I tell my wife that she has free access to as many pennies as she wants. Though she will never touch a single one! :twisted: It's the perfect wife protection!

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Exactly why I do it !!
Savings pay nothing and the pennies are still worth a penny (or more if you look for wheaties)
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Yes :) the Cents, nickels, some Statehood rolls and Ike clad are stash. ;)
the 90, and bullion are to protect the future, I would like to increase the protection but wife is not sure that our money belongs in AG, Au or Pb but I'm working on Her'
After 50 Years not sure there is much budging :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

I look at it as a way to save money, it is money that I can not easily spend if I see a gun I want so it keeps me from spending it. If copper is high and I am desperate need of cash I can always sell it fast for more than face or if copper is low I could cash it in for fv at the bank. I don't see any way to loose
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 pm

The stack also grows pretty fast, I was upset when I first started because I can only hand sort 75.00 FV a week and it seemed like it would take forever to accumulate anything worth while. I average 12 pounds of copper a week from 75.00 face and the pile has grown to 140 pounds in just a short time, still going to take a while to reach my one ton goal so I hope I can reach it before the coppers are gone
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tn-dave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:17 pm

NHsorter wrote:I look at my silver on a weekly basis. Spread out on the pool table in front of me while drinking a beer. :D

^ this is my look at the stash plan
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:18 pm

has anybody ever done research on when all the coppers will be gone? Id love to know if there is an article out there..
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 pm

NHsorter wrote:I look at paper money stash as cash with a downside. Just don't know how big of a downside yet.

Great post Jason :P
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby John_doe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:07 am

I sink my tax returns in to pm's. The way I see the copper cent you can't really lose with it. Maybe lose some time/gas money in the worst case scenario. Still fun to sort! :D
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:17 am

That's one of my favorite things about pennies. Absolute worst case scenario, I save a bunch of money that I would otherwise probably waste. Not a bad worst case scenario at all.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:54 pm

John_doe wrote:I sink my tax returns in to pm's. The way I see the copper cent you can't really lose with it. Maybe lose some time/gas money in the worst case scenario. Still fun to sort! :D

You ought to change your allowances so that you don't get much of a tax return or owe very little money. Otherwise your giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. Look at it this way, if you owe at the end of the year, Uncle Sam is giving YOU an interest free loan. Of course, if getting a return is your way of saving money, then this is a moot point.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:38 pm

What is a tax return? I get rewarded with quarterly tax bills for my entrepreneurial efforts. But really, PennyBoy is right, don't give them an interest free loan if you can help it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

interesting point
1badmf

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing