Bags! Bags whooo hooo bags

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Bags! Bags whooo hooo bags

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Well we opened our new B of A account JUST to get pennies (we told them) and they told us we could order what we wanted. First order they told us "only two boxes a month" but they called back within the hour apologizing telling us again we could order as many pennies as we wanted, once the vault lady knew who we were.

We made our first order of 12 boxes and paid for them when they came in a week later. They were very helpful and let me borrow a cart to wheel the pennies out to the car.
we told them we knew they weren't making any money off of us and we wanted to know how we could make it the easiest on them. So it took a few conversations back and forth but the upshot is, buying all the pennies we want, there is NO problem whatsoever, but they are limited on vault space, so we asked what is the best day to bring the pennies back (or if they even wanted them) and they said (whatever day they ship out) we should bring all ours in the day before (we have them written down, dealing with only 4 banks makes me crazy) so IF they ship out on WED, we just take all our pennies in there on Tue.

But wait, it gets better. My wonderful wife asked them again (must have been the right person this time lol) if they could us bags. Turns out the tellers here HAVE to brake open all the pennies and bag em before they get sent out (told you it is a small town, even the banks don't have coin counters) so my wonderful wife says, "why can't we save your tellers some work and just take the bags home with us"? The lady said hmmm? and went to talk to some one else, pretty soon she came back with a whole arm load of plastic bags (the ones they would fill?) and said "sure, just fill these with $50 FV and deposit as many as you want" (on TUE LOL)>

As it is "linked" to our new bank account there, when it's a little short, or over, they just give or take from our account!

Now this is starting to sound like we might be getting somewhere. Telling them the truth about what we are doing AND asking them how to make it easier on them, also actually makes it easier on us too. Win win.

To Date, we have searched 20 boxes and have 100# of copper plus many wheats (maybe 4#) planchettes, miss or double die, and a few dimes. About 4# pre 96 Canadian and probably 50 king Georges.

One that looks like it never got the copper plate. Several Kennedy facing Lincoln and a few other misc stamps.

Mostly fun. Gives us something to do. It was suppose to be to give me something to do, but of course my wife got bored just rolling up at night what I had sorted during the day. So now she gets in on it. She found a Indian head the other day and she was shaking hahahaha. Now our 23 yo daughter and her boyfriend spend about 3 or 4 nights a week here "helping" sort hahaha.

We really don't mind, gives us all something to do, but we will need to ramp up from our standing orders of 12 boxes at one bank and 6 at another with this much help.
Also we like to look for wide "am"s and such so sorting is still going to be by hand , but now that we can just fill bags up with $50 FV zinks, I would like a automated counter, or hand crank, but those seem to cost quite a bit more, any suggestions on any of my ramblings is appreciated!

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Bags! Bags whooo hooo bags

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Dumping and getting pinnies at the same spot....

Good luck to you, but this usually doesn't end up great for the penny guy....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:Dumping and getting pinnies at the same spot....

Good luck to you, but this usually doesn't end up great for the penny guy....

Deal

Yeah we keep hearing this isn't going to work, as we are doing it.

Sammy

EDIT to say, I realize nothing is forever, life is dynamic. I don't expect a bank or any other entity to not change over time.
I just don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet, how can I?
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 am

Sammy,

A decent counter now that you can turn in bags would not be a bad inverstment. You can generally get a pretty nice one in the $200-300 range if you are patient. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:01 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Sammy,

A decent counter now that you can turn in bags would not be a bad inverstment. You can generally get a pretty nice one in the $200-300 range if you are patient. :mrgreen:

Man we have just about worn out the "search" function on this site to find a good brand to look for. Mostly what I have come up with is a good ol hand crank works forever but they are spendy (specially shipping)

Some don't like Brandt because they are no longer in business (in case you need parts I guess)
Coin scan? Or maybe scan coin, either way haven't seen much in the way of what models to buy. Have seen people on here saying they like the brand, but I don't know which models would best suit our needs.
Also looking at a "JetSort" or something like that looks like it may do the job.
But yes, we are on ebay now looking for a decent counter.
Thanks,
Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Hahahah spose to be an edit, but I musta hit the wrong button. Sorry.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:05 pm

I have a scan coin 303. Works well for me, although I don't use it much as my dumps are all returned loose without counting. They count them while I wait, and trade me for cash when they are done. Perfect....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CoolRide » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:37 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:I have a scan coin 303. Works well for me, although I don't use it much as my dumps are all returned loose without counting. They count them while I wait, and trade me for cash when they are done. Perfect....

Deal

We have a couple of Scan coin 303's in our watched list. Looks like a pretty good machine for our needs but we really never know until we use something for a while.

Kinda like the Harley dealership telling you you can "take out the new bike for a test drive, but try and limit it to 2 miles" How can you know if you want ANY vehicle with a 2 mile test drive?
Fortunately I am familiar with Harley's.
Un-fortunately I am not familiar with coin counters lol.
Thanks for the advice.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

I love B of A for the same reason.

I am a member at the State Employee Credit Union and the one next to my work gave me the BIGGEST problems whenever I came in to try to get bulk pennies. The first time I went in, I had to order 15.00 in pennies and it took 2 weeks for them to come. When I came and picked them up they were very pressing to know what I did with them, so I just said I owed my brother $15.00. :twisted:

The only thing I use them for now is my dump back and once I cash it in I go straight to B of A where I can pick up as many boxes as I want, right there, no problems. They LOVE when I show up.

Long story short, pick a bank you don't like that has a coin sorter and another bank that you can pick up your pennies from. You'll have better luck (In my experience) not bringing your dump bank to the same place you pick up.
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Postby CoolRide » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

0000PaleHorse0000 wrote:I love B of A for the same reason.

I am a member at the State Employee Credit Union and the one next to my work gave me the BIGGEST problems whenever I came in to try to get bulk pennies. The first time I went in, I had to order 15.00 in pennies and it took 2 weeks for them to come. When I came and picked them up they were very pressing to know what I did with them, so I just said I owed my brother $15.00. :twisted:

The only thing I use them for now is my dump back and once I cash it in I go straight to B of A where I can pick up as many boxes as I want, right there, no problems. They LOVE when I show up.

Long story short, pick a bank you don't like that has a coin sorter and another bank that you can pick up your pennies from. You'll have better luck (In my experience) not bringing your dump bank to the same place you pick up.

There are no coin sorters within 100 miles.
The tellers here have to brake open all the rolls and bag em for Loomis.

Bank of A says they have no problem at ALL with us bringing all of the pennies back to them, they suggested it. They just want us to return them on Tue, as they ship out on Wed. And don't have a lot of vault space.

With only 4 banks in town and only 3 that will deal with us, we don't have a lot of choices in dumping. I don't want to piss off THE other two banks which we also order from. So for now, we will pickup and return to B of A. I'm sure it will change as everything does.

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:26 pm

nice story
1badmf

Postby Cu Later » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 pm

I just weigh my bags. Fast & cheap. 27.5lbs
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CoolRide » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 am

Cu Later wrote:I just weigh my bags. Fast & cheap. 27.5lbs

Isn't that $40.425? Seems like either a strange weight or face value, but whatever works for you lol.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Cu Later » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:25 am

Maybe in copper, but I'm returning zinc. Ps i c u live in colville? I've got some land in republic. Beautiful!
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing