Pennypicker says: "I'm back baby!!"

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Pennypicker says: "I'm back baby!!"

Postby pennypicker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:21 am

Just wanted to say hello once again to those here on the boards. After spending my first 54 years in California I had finally had enough of the high taxes and gang violence in the Los Angeles area and moved to beautiful Medford, Oregon. Its a nice town of 75,000 surrounded by tree covered mountains and foothills with a large creek running right through the middle of town.

I now can take pleasure in going to the local Bank of America and talking to a teller without having a 1 1/2" slab of bullet proof glass stand between us. I've been here two months now and I have not seen one piece of graffiti anywhere. :) People here are very pleasant and courteous. When driving around town people actually observe the speed limit and I no longer concern myself with being ran off the road by speeders and frequent lane changers--and yes people here do show respect by using their turn signals.

We have two coin shops in town and I was shocked when one of the shops actually leaves it's door wide open for anyone to just walk in. :shock: Absolutely unheard of back in my home town in Victorville, California where our coin shops have to buzz you in through their security door.

And both high schools here in Medford don't have metal detectors at the main entrances as do the two high schools back in Cal. Nor do these two Medford high schools require a SWAT team to be present at each home football game as did both high schools back home!

And here's the kicker--My first month here in Medford I went to a local auction which included over 60 whitman albums full of coins. I registered at the auction with just my out-of-state California ID and no deposit or credit card was asked of me. My first win was a complete Peace dollar set in average circulated condition (minus the '21). When the gavel went down a person walked up to me and handed me the album. I immediately said, "I don't want to have to go pay for this now because I will miss out on the several of the other albums coming up." She replied, "Oh no, at our auction we hand out the items immediately to the winning bidders and you can pay for them at anytime during the auction or when the auction concludes."

I won 14 albums worth about $2,600 and they where just sitting in my lap and all they had was an out-of-state license. I just kept thinking that back home in Cal. you can buy a fake drivers license pretty easily (if you know where to go) for just $50 and if I was an unscrupulous person I could have just given a bad license when registering. Do you think back in California an auction company would just hand over $2,600 in coins to someone in a large crowd who was a first time attendee and submitted only a out-of-state license? Of course not.

So I went home happy with my coins and astonished at the realization of how unbelievably different are the two worlds of Medford, Oregon and Victorville, California :P :P

Glad to be back on the boards and hello again, Don.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Pennypicker says: "I'm back baby!!"

Postby twentybux » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Sounds like you have found Mayberry for coins. Now if you also tell me that the local sheriff doesn't carry a gun and his one deputy keeps his revolver empty with a "just in case" bullet in his shirt pocket, I will begin to wonder. Congrats!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Glad your back. The auctions are done here the same way. When you win an item they just hand it to you. I have many times seen gold coins sell for $1700.00 to $1800.00 a piece and the auctioneer just hands it to the winning bidder and keeps on going with the auction. I have wondered myself about what if the person buying it doesn't pay for it or pays with a fake check. Or as you said all they have to do is register and get a bidding number with a fake I.D. and after they win a few items just walk out the door, but it must not be happening or they would change their rules.

I live out in rural North Dakota, my closest town has a population of 800 we don't even have a cop we just have a county deputy that drives through town once in awhile. I love it out in the sticks. You couldn't get me to live in a larger city for anything.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:56 pm

This funny I am sitting Food 4 Less parking lot in Medford using my wife's Iphone
To post this well she is shopping.
glade your back
joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome back Don, I hadn't seen you post in a while and was hoping everything was OK. I can see by your post that it is more than OK, and that's great.

Now get back to sorting.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wbeck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:36 pm

My grandma retired to Medford from California some years back. I've never made it these since she moved there, but I hear it is indeed a rather nice little town. I've never lived in LA (from the bay area originally, Seattle now), but I can imagine the contrast is ridiculous from my visits to LA. Such a cesspool. Seattle amazingly enough is really just like living in a small town in many respects, but it's of course half way decent sized. Not very many "bad" parts of town, and the ones that are are easily avoidable.
Last edited by wbeck on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Also was that you trying to sell a Ryedale at the coin shop in Medford see-- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8798&hilit=+rydale
And now there three realcenters in the Grater Medford area also thunter is here http://www.realcent.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=861
So we are .00006% of the US population but we are .0029% of the realcenters :D
Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:25 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Also was that you trying to sell a Ryedale at the coin shop in Medford see-- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8798&hilit=+rydale
And now there three realcenters in the Grater Medford area also thunter is here http://www.realcent.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=861
So we are .00006% of the US population but we are .0029% of the realcenters :D
Joe

Hello Joe. No it wasn't me as I am only a hand sorter. By the way I too was at Food For Less today buying my daily polish dog & large coke. Absolutely gorgeous day today in Medford. Clear blue skies, low humidity, 71 degrees with no wind!!!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks guys for the nice responses. I forgot to mention that back in California I had to pay the taxman 10% everytime I purchased some silver bullion from my local coin shop. Here in Oregon however there is no state sales tax so now when when I lay down $100 at Rogue Valley Coin & Jewelry I walk out of the store with $100 worth of silver bullion and NOT $90 worth as I did back in Ca. :D
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:43 pm

pennypicker wrote:Thanks guys for the nice responses. I forgot to mention that back in California I had to pay the taxman 10% everytime I purchased some silver bullion from my local coin shop. Here in Oregon however there is no state sales tax so now when when I lay down $100 at Rogue Valley Coin & Jewelry I walk out of the store with $100 worth of silver bullion and NOT $90 worth as I did back in Ca. :D

I bought Franklin some Canadian silver hole fillers there at spot on Friday. http://www.rvcoinandjewelryexchange.com/ BTW Mike the owner of Rogue Valley Coin & Jewelry got shot at his old coin store years ago in California.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:35 pm

henrysmedford wrote:BTW Mike the owner of Rogue Valley Coin & Jewelry got shot at his old coin store years ago in California.

Wow, I did not know that. I've already met both Mike & John and they're both very nice and friendly people. The fact that Mike was shot back when he owned a coin shop in California does not surprise what so ever. Owning a coin shop in California is a very risky proposition as you never know what nut will be walking in--very sad indeed. :o
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:07 am

Welcome back to the forum and welcome to Oregon. If you ever make it up to Portland we should do lunch :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Welcome back to the forum and welcome to Oregon. If you ever make it up to Portland we should do lunch :)

Sounds great and thanks for the invite. Portland is one of the most beautiful cities in the country and I especially like the Tigard, Tualatin suburbs--they don't call it God's Country for nothing!!!
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

NIce to see you. It sounds like you've moved from hell to heaven.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I was raised in SW LA. In Alaska I met wife an visited her folks farm on way to LA for Discharge.
That was 50 Years ago an we returned to Oregon after long visit at my Parents went back to Visit them but stayed in Oregon learned to enjoy Rain when I was younger,
Now takes trips to see the Sun in Winter in Arizona but enjoy returning to Oregon an having Seasons and Family safely here. Welcome back :D
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 am

Pennypicker, I sent out an all points bulletin for you a while back. Morsecode even tried to email you. You've been bad so sit in the corner until I tell you to get up.

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8258

Glad you're back, man.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:58 am

shinnosuke wrote:Pennypicker, I sent out an all points bulletin for you a while back. Morsecode even tried to email you. You've been bad so sit in the corner until I tell you to get up.

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8258

Glad you're back, man.

Wow, this really warms my heart to think that some members here actually missed my presence. Quite frankly I didn't believe anyone would notice my absence.

I spent a month on the road checking out many cities in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Washington & Oregon and finally settled in Medford, Oregon. I just had my desktop hooked up a few weeks ago so now I'm in touch with the world again. And I'm sorry for the unanswered emails as I had no computer access since July and I have acquired a new email address.

Again its great to be back and to know that I was actually missed by some! :P
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing