Taking a bath with String & Son

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Taking a bath with String & Son

Postby ffej » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Don't know if this has been asked, mentioned, or something new. I went to several banks today looking for boxes of pennies. In my area of Florida I've only seen String& Son boxes twice. Usually Brinks. Got the box and opened it up and all shiny ends were showing, dang all zinc. Got home and started opening the and noticed ALL of them have been cleaned, all 50 rolls, looks like they were tumbled, or steamed, be all were definatley cleaned, even the wheaties....is this somthing new or does String clean their coins, this would ruin the value of a good coin!!!
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Taking a bath with String & Son

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:55 pm

No thi's isnt something strings normally does. The coin may have been cleaned if it was in a flood or something but its not normal pratice.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby bman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Maybe they came from the guy that cleans out wishing wells, he uses a cement mixer to tumble large loads of coins to get them clean.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ffej » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm

bman wrote:Maybe they came from the guy that cleans out wishing wells, he uses a cement mixer to tumble large loads of coins to get them clean.

I thought about someone else cleanning them, but what are the chances of all those cleaned pennies being in a sealed box. I would think they would get dumped in a giant hopper with other pennies then sent through the rolling machine...I was so happy to only find common dated wheaties, just my luck to find a once in a life time coin and had been cleaned... :oops:
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 pm

ffej wrote:
bman wrote:Maybe they came from the guy that cleans out wishing wells, he uses a cement mixer to tumble large loads of coins to get them clean.

I thought about someone else cleaning them, but what are the chances of all those cleaned pennies being in a sealed box. I would think they would get dumped in a giant hopper with other pennies then sent through the rolling machine...I was so happy to only find common dated wheaties, just my luck to find a once in a life time coin and had been cleaned... :oops:

It depends on how the machines sort and wrap. It might hit that load of pennies that got cleaned by someone, maybe the guy had a crapload of coins that he cleaned and redeemed......
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm

CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Maybe a metal detectionist, like myself, using a rock tumbler a bit too much.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:33 am

I'm getting just the opposite--rolls that are full of corroded skanky coins, even coins with the shield reverse! I don't have any insights into your odd rolls, but I've personally begun washing all my pennies before they hit the Ryedale. I fooled around all summer with different equipment and processes that would rid them of the filth without affecting their patina. (Pennies with verdigris get separated out for the rough treatment--those coins do lose their patina.)

From what I read, as long as the patina remains, no collector value is lost. Really, if I flick a booger onto a rare coin, is there truly any value lost if you wipe the booger off? When it comes to corrosion, I figure a skanky, verdigris-encrusted penny has probably lost its collector value anyway. I'm doing it a favor by saving its life.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing