They don't make 'em like they used to (pennies)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

They don't make 'em like they used to (pennies)

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 am

Some of the zinc pennies I come across while sorting sure have deteriorated in their short life span. The copper pennies from years past hold up so much better. I took samples from a box of pennies I sorted today to show what I mean.

2004-D
Sure I saw a few 2004-D's in the box that were cleaner and shinier than this one but it is pretty common to see zincs looking like this or far worse.
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG (67.98 KiB) Viewed 472 times

1974-D
Here's one that goes back another 30 years. Look at that nice copper. The other 1974-D's from the box were more brown than this one but look how well this one has held up all these years.
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG (64.94 KiB) Viewed 472 times

1944-S
Going back another 30 years and the copper pennies are still pretty solid (ok, this one is extra nice but imagine what the 2004-D will look like in another 60 years. :shock: )
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG (63.6 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Now if only I had found a 1914-D or 1914-S in the box to continue my comparison...
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: They don't make 'em like they used to (pennies)

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 am

p[anned obsolescence.. you should see zincs found while metal detecting... and saltwater destroys them..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:16 pm

I find it amazing how 30 and 40 year old coins look like they were just put into circulation. Because of the soil where I live the zincs I find when metal detecting are frequently only a partial coin as much of them have been eaten away.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:14 pm

I live in the rust belt, and I like picking pennies up off the ground, however.. After a car has run over a zinc penny in the parking lot a few times, and the salt we put on the roads starts eating away at it .. I won't pick it up. Occasionally, when sorting I would throw a penny right into the trash.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:50 pm

I've dug at least 2500 pennies this year. The zinc ones come in all shapes...except round! :D I'm lucky to have 3 different types of coin machines at my dump banks. I've learned which machine will take what kind of damage. I think i've had to toss out 3 or 4 half-eaten ones and that's it. I've been using the metal detecting finds to use as search money at the banks. ALL PROFIT....including the zinc pennies that everyone likes to throw away!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rickygee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:27 pm

My brother swears cashiers save the worst looking pennies to give him in change. Well as a joke last Christmas I got the Whitman dateless Cents folder and filled it with the nastiest, dirtiest, corroded zinc pennies I could find some had 1/4 of the coin missing. The funny thing is it didn't take any time at all to collect this pile of corruptness from hand sorting.

BTW it was a great joke and everybody laughed as I explained to my brother that to collect these I simply would explain to cashiers that these were for ----- ------ and trade them a good penny for some they had saved for him!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing