Now what?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Now what?

Postby baggerman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Went to one of my dump banks this afternoon to dump less than $100. Their machine jammed and it took so long to clear it that it made the head teller mad so she told me from now on it would be .08 per roll to dump since they don't have time for jams like this (they had only counted $50 to this point). I opened this account last week so I could dump with no charge and this was the first time I had dumped there. There are only a couple of other places in town to dump loose change and one of them is their sister branch. Do I open an account at Wells Fargo so I can dump their and hope they don't get nasty or do I go back to rolling coins where I can cash them in at my normal bank for free? This sucks.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Now what?

Postby NHsorter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Sounds like a cranky teller. Maybe the other 3 weeks of each month she might be friendlier.

Seriously though, is she in charge there? You might try talking to the manager and tell them how you signed up because of access to the fee-free machine and how you got chewed out the first time you used it. I think I would try to talk it out instead of giving up. Especially if there are slim pickings in your area. Chocolate won't make the situation worse :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:33 pm

NHsorter wrote:Sounds like a cranky teller. Maybe the other 3 weeks of each month she might be friendlier.

Seriously though, is she in charge there? You might try talking to the manager and tell them how you signed up because of access to the fee-free machine and how you got chewed out the first time you used it. I think I would try to talk it out instead of giving up. Especially if there are slim pickings in your area. Chocolate won't make the situation worse :D

Thanks that is some good advice. When I opened the account I was straight up with them and told them I sort for my grandkids and want to get pennies and leave pennies (they sell to the fed and then order boxes so I won't get the same ones back). I am not sure if she is in charge of the whole show or not but I was pretty pissed when I left the bank so I will wait until next week to address this issue with them. BTW she also wants to charge me .08 a roll for getting boxes of pennies in the future too but I have Chase where I can order as many as I want for nothing but have to roll them to return them.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Saturday I went to a new BofA branch that I hadn't been to before, and they wanted to charge me 10 cents a roll plus a $2 fee. I told them no thanks, walked out. This must be part of the trend for some of the big banks hurting at the bottom line and trying to improve their profits with new fees. The debit card fee debacle didn't pan out for them, but they've apparently got some other ones they are trying.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Man I particulary try not to take a dump where I eat :) Had a bank manager the other day ask me (while I was picking up 400.00 worth) why don't I just bring my pennies back there in bags for free.... I smiled and replied, "because as of now ya'll still like me".... She kindly thanked me as they hate messing with the bags anyways. Push slowly and gently and usually your relationship with the bank won't fall over or at least for a while, but push hard and fast it's likely to fall over the edge of a cliff.

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

ScottyTX wrote:Man I particulary try not to take a dump where I eat :) Had a bank manager the other day ask me (while I was picking up 400.00 worth) why don't I just bring my pennies back there in bags for free.... I smiled and replied, "because as of now ya'll still like me".... She kindly thanked me as they hate messing with the bags anyways. Push slowly and gently and usually your relationship with the bank won't fall over or at least for a while, but push hard and fast it's likely to fall over the edge of a cliff.

Scotty

Yea I am well aware of not dumping where I eat and only occasionally have I picked up pennies at this location and never more than 2 boxes at a time. I wanted this to be my primary dump bank since they are close as I don't have a lot of choices. I left because I didn't want to say something in a tone I would regret later but will have a pleasant chat with the manager next week to see if we can work something out. I am a small time handsorter that goes through about $100-$150 a week.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby galenrog » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 am

I use banks to service my habit and credit unions to dump the slag. Banks do not like it when I dump. The CUs seem to like it and have a little fun along the way. Several branches have pools on who will guess closest on what I am turning in. Look into the CUs. They could be of some help.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm

galenrog wrote:I use banks to service my habit and credit unions to dump the slag. Banks do not like it when I dump. The CUs seem to like it and have a little fun along the way. Several branches have pools on who will guess closest on what I am turning in. Look into the CUs. They could be of some help.

Thanks for the tip. Went to the bank today that got pissed last week and was basically told to pound sand so I closed that account. Went to a CU that has a coin counter in the lobby (my neighbor told me about this) and told them that I wanted to bring in about $50 a week in pennies as I sort for my grandkids and wanted to know if that was going to be an issue before we went any farther to which they replied there is no limit, it is self serve and feel free to bring in as much as you like. Free to members and 10% to non memebers, I am now a member of that CU. BTW I bought $2.50 in pennies from a teller there and found 2 wheats in them. :D
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 pm

There ya go!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby twentybux » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Good for you!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Yep, credit unions are the only way to go. I too have great relationships with mine.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby everything » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 pm

My CU at every single branch charges 10 cents per roll if you want to buy coinage, but dumping is free. They give me a hard time about it since I dump about $1000 in halves every week, guaranteed to fill the bag every time. Plus the machine sounds like it's grinding coins up, then when it fills it has a flashing light and beeper, kind of annoying. Yeah, one of the tellers, young cute blonde with awesome freckles really hates it, but it's my closest dump place.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 am

I dumped about $30 in pennies today and about 1/3 of the way through the machine froze up and had to be attended by a staff member but they were still pretty cool about it. Most banks an CU wants .08 a roll to buy but my bank (Chase) allows me to order about 12 boxes a month at no charge.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Skip the boxes if they are charging you. Buy the bags off their machines....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby baggerman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:44 pm

My bank doesn't charge for boxes and the CU said if I wanted to order some from them there would be no charge. I am going to see if I can get a source for bags from a different CU since I dump at this one
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cent1225 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 am

galenrog wrote:I use banks to service my habit and credit unions to dump the slag. Banks do not like it when I dump. The CUs seem to like it and have a little fun along the way. Several branches have pools on who will guess closest on what I am turning in. Look into the CUs. They could be of some help.

Funny, I do just the opposite. The CU said I could have all their bags every week, as long as I didn't bring them back. They started out with 1 bag per week, now they hold all their bags just for me. They even let me use their cart to haul them to the car.
I guess each person just has to find what works for them.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing