Is this coin dealer really this good?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is this coin dealer really this good?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:01 pm

I am dragging out the 'unsearched' roll topic again. Review this Ebay seller completed auctions and feedback. Is it possible that rolls are really end-pieced originally with key and semi-key dates and they happen to get in these dealer's possession? I would tend to think the seller seeds rolls, as a way to gin up sales. Maybe the dealer lurks on this forum. Where did you get your rolls? And why were they not opened up and sold piecemeal after umpteen years of coin collectors combing the US looking for the elusive key dates?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Small-Cents-/11 ... 6.c0.m1538

I do not know how to run an Ebay-fronted coinshp but my gut feeling says that if you can have a few break-even key date "loss" leaders to stir up sales for common date rolls, you can certainly rake in the dollars by concocting a jillion seeded rolls and have a path beaten to your auctions.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Is this coin dealer really this good?

Postby twoten01 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 am

Yeah I found this seller yesterday while searching ebay for wheats, he gets crazy prices for some rolls. I plan on buying at least 1 in the next week or so, I will post my finds here.
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Find a stash of old wrappers and you can make a killing..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Indian head and flying eagle roll! Has 2 of them....
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

**JUST FOUND!! BU Red 1909 S VDB & 1931S
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RGJohn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:16 am

JerrySpringer wrote:.... I would tend to think the seller seeds rolls, as a way to gin up sales. .......

You've got it.
It's a dishonest practice. A scam to dupe the credulous and unwary.
RGJohn

Postby tractorman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

from his feedback:

a fool and their money are soon parted I was the fool
Two (2) Unsearched Wheat Rolls With Indian Head on End (#300528741882)

This is just one example, there are many more. I can't believe so many folks are taken in by this.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Beware of unsearched rolls.. if you think they are really unsearched, then think what you want because your gonna anyways. BUT, if your just looking for copper, unsearched and CWR rolls can be the way to go. It's easy enough for a straw buyer / friend of buyer to throw in comments on feedback to throw off the trail.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I combed thru his feedback. It seem that the user "pinkdragon" (Found a 09 s vdb and a 31 s in the same roll) buys nothing but s-mint teens and 09 vdb in AU condition. I'm guessing that is the buying account and this is his selling account.

caveat emptor - Old Latin expression
There's a sucker born every minute - P.T. Barnum
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 pm

yep, agreed...i bought an original bank roll couple years ago...the wrapper was fuzzy and indeed it was old...the pennies inside were mostly AU's, a few BU's...i gave him neutral feedback...he sent me a weeks worth of foul mouth emails....i finally responded that if the original bank roll was indeed original and full of BU's then why were the sides of the copper cents dull and not shiny red like the they should be and the end of the roll was wadded up and not a nice roll crimp....He sent one last nasty email. I was ready to visit Florida.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:I combed thru his feedback. It seem that the user "pinkdragon" (Found a 09 s vdb and a 31 s in the same roll) buys nothing but s-mint teens and 09 vdb in AU condition. I'm guessing that is the buying account and this is his selling account.

caveat emptor - Old Latin expression
There's a sucker born every minute - P.T. Barnum

I found a seller/buyer account holder like that last spring. They ran same auction photos and had same location at the time (Minnesota if I recall; that has changed since then). To further lend support to that, both IDs are now into sport ticket purchases. The unsearched coin roll scam ended for time being with them. So, take with a big grain of salt any unsearched roll auction. I think most possible sellers who had rolls they found in an estate sale or from an old bank vault would immediately open them up unless they paid an arm and leg for them and needed to get back their money.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing