Long Shot Application To Guinness World Records

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Long Shot Application To Guinness World Records

Postby crazypennyguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 pm

This may seem crazier than usual, but I filled out and submitted an application to try for a world record at Guinness World Records. As you probably have guessed, it involves penny hand sorting. I checked "penny sorting" in GWR's search engine and nothing came up, so I think I'm staking new ground here.

I'm prety thumb-fingered, so I didn't apply for a speed record. [If anyone's the fastest sorter, it would be henrysmedford's son Franklin.] Instead, I applied for an endurance record: a penny-sorting marathon, like those dance marathons. If the rules are the same as they were 20 years ago, this means one five-minute break in an hour and virtually no sleep in the stretch. Only a few naps in thos five-minute breaks.

The application's been accepted for internal review, so it wasn't bounced at the outset. Still, it's a long-shot application. Given the ranking of penny-sorting in the Nightline world, this isn't the most popular of activities. ;)

Anyways, I'm just letting you know that penny sorting might get an entry in Guinness World Records next year if I'm lucky enough to get my attempt approved. I'll probably find out around Christmas, as I didn't shell out the GBP 450 + VAT for expidited service. Too many pennies for me. :)

I also wanted to let everyone know that the speed category seems to be unclaimed by anyone. If you're interested in filling out an application yourself, just go to Guinness' Website.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Long Shot Application To Guinness World Records

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm

As a child in the sixties there would be a line of kids at the coin store. You can never know what might come back.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby crazypennyguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

henrysmedford wrote:As a child in the sixties there would be a line of kids at the coin store. You can never know what might come back.

True.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby iluc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:40 pm

This is great! If guys can play poker for marathon stretches, this would make a great counterpoint (since everyone is intrinsically richer at the end!). If there was a contest I could get to, I'd definitely join in. And, of course, I'm convinced coin popularity can come back for kids. ;-)
Ian Lucas
Co-Author, Treasure Hunt in the Enchanted Forest (The Search for Good Money)
www.treasurehuntkidsbook.com
iluc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:22 pm

iluc wrote:I'm convinced coin popularity can come back for kids. ;-)

I'm only 14 and my lincoln set is near complete, I've spent more money on pennies than on junk food. LOL
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby iluc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 pm

CHO, you rock!
Ian Lucas
Co-Author, Treasure Hunt in the Enchanted Forest (The Search for Good Money)
www.treasurehuntkidsbook.com
iluc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:55 pm

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:

I'm only 14 and my lincoln set is near complete, I've spent more money on pennies than on junk food. LOL

Awesome, dude! Keep up the good work.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 pm

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:

Great! You're more thorough than I was at your age (or now, for that matter :P )
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm

They are gonna want to see you go up against the Ryedale.. I can see it now..what a matchup.. smoke coming from the Ryedale as it spits out coppers, you with blisters forming on your fingers.. The crowd is silent except for the clicking of pennies on both sides of the sorting table... John Henry looking down from above,smiling .........
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:They are gonna want to see you go up against the Ryedale.. I can see it now..what a matchup.. smoke coming from the Ryedale as it spits out coppers, you with blisters forming on your fingers.. The crowd is silent except for the clicking of pennies on both sides of the sorting table... John Henry looking down from above,smiling .........

And the Ryedale will win :)

At least, I hope it would. If I'm lucky enough to be favoured by Guinness, I'll undoubtedly be subject to an accuracy test. After all, there's no point in doing a penny-sorting marathon if I end up with mixtures in my sorted buckets. If they take a liking to me, they'll let me check my own accuracy on vid-camera. Doing so would require a Ryedale.

I'm sure, if I get the go-ahead, I'll be required to buy one specifically for the marathon. May come in handy later...

[A side note. Since I applied for a marathon, not a speed race, I don't think they'll mind if I go slowly as long as I keep moving. Dancers in a dance marathon can shuffle slowly and not be counted out as long as they stay on their feet.]
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 am

Seeing that they've been shaky on several records.........good luck.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 am

cesariojpn wrote:Seeing that they've been shaky on several records.........good luck.

Thanks; it's much appreciated.
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Even if Guiness doesn't certify you, you can do so via:

http://recordsetter.com/
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby crazypennyguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm

barrytrot wrote:Even if Guiness doesn't certify you, you can do so via:

http://recordsetter.com/

Thanks, but the stretch I have to run is going to be v-e-r-y long. Some marathons of the world-record sort last for more than a week - and they're continuous exccept for five-minute breaks each hour :o
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 pm

It doesn't matter how long it is, just video it and then do a splice of every 10 seconds per frame. So it just plays in hyper speed mode.

And to validate you will need it recorded. There is very little shot they are going to send a rep out to watch you.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby crazypennyguy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 pm

barrytrot wrote:It doesn't matter how long it is, just video it and then do a splice of every 10 seconds per frame. So it just plays in hyper speed mode.

I could do that for public consumption, but I assume they'd want the raw footage to verify what I've done.

barrytrot wrote:And to validate you will need it recorded. There is very little shot they are going to send a rep out to watch you.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm also assuming that they'd want me to vid-cam putting the sorted pennies through a Ryedale to test for accuracy. After all, it wouldn't be much of an achievement if the pennies weren't sorted properly.

(I think they'd give me a maximum error level, like 1 out of 100 mistaken, over which I'd be disqalified. That's how I'd handle it if I were issuing the instructions.)
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 pm

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:09 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:I thought this was nifty:

http://empowerednews.net/%E2%80%9Ccrazy ... s/1816657/

Thanks. Guess who wrote it?

None other than myself. I paid an eBayer twenty bucks to have it distributed on Google News. I didn't know it would be publish-worthy!
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cupronickel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Great article !
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:04 am

cupronickel wrote:Great article !

Aw, shucks :P
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing