Penny Doc looking for participants

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Doc looking for participants

Postby DearPenny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been shooting a documentary on the American penny for over a year now. I've interviewed coin dealers, collectors, professional numismatists, and all sorts of people who have some sort of relationship to the coin. I recently had the pleasure of speaking with Adam at the Portland Mint, and also toured the Marengo Cave in Indiana which has a penny lined ceiling.

I'm posting here today in hopes of speaking with someone who has years of experience with stacking copper. I've heard of large amounts of copper pennies being privately stored but have never actually seen any hoard larger than a few bathtubs worth. I understand there may be a stigma associated with copper stacking and I can certainly identify with that. Making an independent documentary on a coin no one cares about is not exactly the most conventional thing to do with your weekends. Regardless, I don't care and would hope that someone out there is also proud of what they're doing.

I would certainly be willing to compensate anyone for their time and would also cater to any stipulations one might have regarding privacy and anonymity.

Please feel free to contact me here or at dearpennyfilm@gmail.com

Thanks and hope everyone has a healthy and prosperous new year.

-Rich
DearPenny

Re: Penny Doc looking for participants

Postby beauanderos » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Try to reach HoardCopperByTheTon. Chuck is in the Bay Area, fits your bill for someone with extensive history/knowledge of stacking pennies.
He is the forum go to guy as far as "been there, done that" goes. :clap: :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MaxGravy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Please let us know when the film is released. Sounds interesting on several levels: collecting, sorting, hoarding, numi/bullion, etc. Made in America. I'd love to see it.
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DearPenny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks I'll try and contact him if possible, a quick search on here showed a few comments that lead me to believe this may be difficult. Thanks again either way. MaxGravy thanks for your interest, it's been an interesting 2 years working on this, I'll definitely post here once I'm close to a final edit. It may be another year or so. At this point I'm still shooting and looking for content.
DearPenny

Postby everything » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:54 pm

Out of all the scouring I've done out here I've seen a few hoards the size you are talking. Garbage barrels filled with wheat pennies. This kind of thing was going on during the last run up in copper. I think some were preparing ahead for if copper ever goes up and stays up, probably figured they were getting a great deal on wheat pennies.

What many of us do is just pure fun, roll searching, you can still find up to usually about a dozen wheat pennies in a midwest $25 box, the demo of copper/zinc ratio may be something else to look into, I just find that interesting. Heck being the last country to ditch the penny is interesting.

If you put together a good film and time the release just right you could really have something.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:53 am

When putting together any serious presentation on copper, it is important to discuss those whose have aggressively tried to manipulate it. One man who got into trouble (around 2005) for manipulating copper is Yasuo Hamanaka, also known as Dr. Copper. He worked for Sumitomo, a large Japanese company.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 am

NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DearPenny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. Definitely hoping to get in contact with someone who has a hoard like this. It sounds like there are still larger hoards out there, it's just a matter of finding someone willing to discuss this. This has proven to be very difficult which is why I'm willing to pay someone for a short appearance. Either way thanks again, I'll be sure to update here as things progress. And if anyone else has a person or concept they think should be included in a film about the penny please let me know.
DearPenny

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:54 pm

Have you tried going to coin dealers in your area or finding a coin club where people meet to share ideas and tips? Or a coin show?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby DearPenny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:01 pm

I went to the ANA Money Show in Portland last March. I met some great people there and also got a lot of footage for the doc, however I did not meet any copper stackers. One thing that's proven to be difficult is staying focused on just the penny. A lot of people quickly go into other coins when I interview them, which is fine but not always relevant.
DearPenny

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:08 pm

Stacking cu cents is the biggest waste of time and effort I've ever accomplished.

I have a ton or so and I touched EVERY cent. A waste of life! It was kinda fun like jigsaw or something, a diversion.

Now what the hell do I do with them? It's not worth the effort to move them again.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby DearPenny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Thogey I wish I had an old Chinese proverb for you but nothing is coming to mind. I think we spoke briefly last year, PM me if you want to discuss helping out with the doc in any capacity.
DearPenny

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:37 pm

DearPenny wrote:Hi all,

I've been shooting a documentary on the American penny for over a year now. I've interviewed coin dealers, collectors, professional numismatists, and all sorts of people who have some sort of relationship to the coin. I recently had the pleasure of speaking with Adam at the Portland Mint, and also toured the Marengo Cave in Indiana which has a penny lined ceiling.

I'm posting here today in hopes of speaking with someone who has years of experience with stacking copper. I've heard of large amounts of copper pennies being privately stored but have never actually seen any hoard larger than a few bathtubs worth. I understand there may be a stigma associated with copper stacking and I can certainly identify with that. Making an independent documentary on a coin no one cares about is not exactly the most conventional thing to do with your weekends. Regardless, I don't care and would hope that someone out there is also proud of what they're doing.

I would certainly be willing to compensate anyone for their time and would also cater to any stipulations one might have regarding privacy and anonymity.

Please feel free to contact me here or at dearpennyfilm@gmail.com

Thanks and hope everyone has a healthy and prosperous new year.

-Rich

Looking forward to this getting completed!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:45 am

Oh oh, pick me!
:wave:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:35 am

Thogey wrote:Stacking cu cents is the biggest waste of time and effort I've ever accomplished.

I have a ton or so and I touched EVERY cent. A waste of life! It was kinda fun like jigsaw or something, a diversion.

Now what the hell do I do with them? It's not worth the effort to move them again.

But that stacking lead you to Realcent... so not a total waste!
hobo finds

Postby DearPenny » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Well it's been a few weeks and no real responses or leads to anything yet. A problem that seems to be re occurring with this film, the people who work with coins or actually have some relationship to the penny aren't willing to discuss it openly. Not sure why this topic lends itself to such privacy. But does anyone know of another site like this that might be helpful?
DearPenny

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:31 pm

There are no other sites - we are the penny kings. Copper is down right now so some of us are just sitting on our pennies (if we have pennies). I'm in Canada where penny sorting is over with no pennies available now.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby DearPenny » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Well for the right interview we're willing to put up 50,000 pennies but doubting prospects at this point. Also what's the deal with pennies in Canada? I know they stopped making them but I thought they were still legal tender for the time being.
DearPenny

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:17 pm

DearPenny wrote:Well for the right interview we're willing to put up 50,000 pennies but doubting prospects at this point. Also what's the deal with pennies in Canada? I know they stopped making them but I thought they were still legal tender for the time being.

They are still legal tender, but the banks aren't issuing them anymore. All of the banks and the RCM are collecting them from circulation. A few months after they stopped making the penny several charities ran huge penny drives to collect as many as they could.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 pm

DearPenny wrote: Also what's the deal with pennies in Canada? I know they stopped making them but I thought they were still legal tender for the time being.
From what I can find they are shipped and melted down in the US by American Iron and Metal Co. Inc, based in Montreal. That would make some nice film. See-- http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/penny-wise/
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:19 pm

DearPenny wrote:Well it's been a few weeks and no real responses or leads to anything yet. A problem that seems to be re occurring with this film, the people who work with coins or actually have some relationship to the penny aren't willing to discuss it openly. Not sure why this topic lends itself to such privacy. But does anyone know of another site like this that might be helpful?

This article may give you some insight: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100917758
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby everything » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:48 am

That could be true people are sitting on tons of these things with every intention to possibly melt. I find it amusing that you can't melt wheats, since the market brings a bit more than melt price on them why melt anyways, but at the same time that's allot of coins that are just sitting around doing nothing.

Part of the thing with pennies is they are not really worth anything, the market for them not all that great, and I'm guessing many are tied up and just sitting around doing nothing. Things were much more exciting around here when copper was nearing $4/lb.

The collecting aspect is not bad for them, looking at historical prices for collecting they were not a bad coin to collect over the years. Once they finally get rid of the dam things that will be even better for the collectors. I've been sorting boxes again, it's cheaper entertainment than sorting through American girls..
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennysaverCP » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:27 am

everything wrote: I've been sorting boxes again, it's cheaper entertainment than sorting through American girls..

True.......but not nearly as fun :D
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
DearPenny wrote:Well for the right interview we're willing to put up 50,000 pennies but doubting prospects at this point. Also what's the deal with pennies in Canada? I know they stopped making them but I thought they were still legal tender for the time being.

They are still legal tender, but the banks aren't issuing them anymore. All of the banks and the RCM are collecting them from circulation. A few months after they stopped making the penny several charities ran huge penny drives to collect as many as they could.

Would those 50,000 pennies be copper.. or just zincolns? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:46 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

Would those 50,000 pennies be copper.. or just zincolns? :mrgreen:

No zincolns (well a few) but mostly steel. I recall driving around and getting several grand worth the final days the banks would sell them. The last ones I sorted were about the same percentages copper as always. It's in the reports here somewhere.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing