Dump Banks

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dump Banks

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I've opened a simple, no fee savings account at a nearby bank with a coin sorter in the lobby. Every other time that I dump there, they ask me where did I get all these pennies. I tell them that I work on the side for a fountain/wishing well cleaning company, and it seems to satisfy their curiosity. Any of you come up with interesting reasons for having millions of pennies?

By the way, the last time I brought in about $260 in pennies with a few nickels, dimes, and quarters mixed in, and thought that the branch manager was going to throw me out. He was behind the counter with arms folded and a scowl on his face, but nothing happened.

I feel like I go to at least one bank every week day, but my roommate works at my main business bank and the other day he has 5 1953 red seal $2 bills for me. I have truly lost it with trying to make money off of money. Hoard on.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Dump Banks

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon May 09, 2011 12:08 am

I haven't gone crazy just yet with the Ryedale...but I got it pretty good with my dumping options. I have 7 branches to rotate from...all have lobby machines...and all I ever say is that I've been saving change for 17 years...but I need gas...the focus goes away from the coins to the price of gas...and they all get excited and complain as I slide out the door! :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Number21 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:09 am

"Where did you get all those pennies?"
"The bank down the street..."
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 am

I like the fountain/wishing well thing. Imaginative.

I never bring more than one bag at a time, and most of them already think I'm a zany penny collector. Mostly, I'm just a part of their normal weekly routine...which is a good thing.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 09, 2011 6:06 am

"Where did you get all these pennies?!"

A.) An irate customer paid me in pennies!

B.) I am cleaning out granddad's old coin collection.

C.) Had a great win last night at penny ante poker!!!

D.) The Brinks truck just had an accident, and I helped clean up! :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 am

I just tell them I pick up bags from other banks and search them for wheat pennies. Which isn't a total lie because I do look for wheats I just don't tell them I also pull out all the copper pennies.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 am

I use the wheat penny story too. There is this one young desk jockey that always seems to be at my dump bank no matter when I go. He often comes over and will stand right beside me as I am dumping pennies (usually about $70 worth). He keeps grilling me like he doesn't believe me. He'll ask how much wheat pennies are worth and if I sell them. He says the other day, "wheat pennies are made of copper aren't they? I was reading the other day that copper pennies are worth more than face value." It seems he's trying to push me down the path of admitting I'm sorting for copper. This guy is really annoying. He gives me the "uh huh" skeptical look every time I answer his questions. He knows what I'm after and he's just intent on trying to make me admit me. Like it's a crime or something! Next time I'll tell him the fountain story, I liked that one too. Maybe I'll start coming up with more and more outrageous stories.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon May 09, 2011 10:00 am

Personally, I only just branches with coin counting machines. Once in a while give a few $5 gift gift certificates to the tellers for a coffee place and that keeps them happy.

Once I came in with two bags and had an encounter with branch manger having a bad day. While helping me with my dump she told me that their machine was not for commercial use and for piggy banks. I replied that my piggy bank is very large. Then didn't use that branch for awhile.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

"Where you get all those pennies?"

my dad has been collecting them a long time, ( true, he collects pennies), and I'll be back next week, I got a 5 gallon bucket full.( also true)
Last edited by VWBEAMER on Mon May 09, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

I just say I sort through looking for "old" pennies. 100% accurate, although if anything from 1982 or before is old, I guess that includes me at the ripe age of 34. :D
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:"Where did you get all these pennies?!"

I really like these replies! :lol:

By the way, today I picked up a box of dimes to search for silver and mixed them in with my dump bags just to add coins other than pennies. $534 dumped today. Also, found one 1963 silver dime! :D
I keep saying it, but I really have lost my mind. It has been fun going crazy though. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Gamecock » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

tell them they're coins collected in jars at restaurants and stores for some charity and that you change the coins into cash every week and give it to "insert fake charity here"
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Number21 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm

I don't know why you guys hide your real motives. Hoarding coppers isn't illegal. It's the bank's job to provide you with your stock.

Spread the word, the more people that realize what's going on, the more there will be interested in buying them, and the more there will be sorting them out of existance and increasing the price of what you already have.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CrazyTom » Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm

E.) I have a lot of couches.

How about that you clean out car wash vacuums?
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Chief wrote:

I really like these replies! :lol:

By the way, today I picked up a box of dimes to search for silver and mixed them in with my dump bags just to add coins other than pennies. $534 dumped today. Also, found one 1963 silver dime! :D
I keep saying it, but I really have lost my mind. It has been fun going crazy though. :)

It is my practice now to make sure there is a mix of everything in the bag. Even so, the gals at my dump bank don't give a hoot and are very friendly. I let 'em think I'm a little eccentric and they give me the cute treatment.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CrazyTom » Mon May 09, 2011 11:41 pm

inflationhawk wrote:I use the wheat penny story too. There is this one young desk jockey that always seems to be at my dump bank no matter when I go. He often comes over and will stand right beside me as I am dumping pennies (usually about $70 worth). He keeps grilling me like he doesn't believe me. He'll ask how much wheat pennies are worth and if I sell them. He says the other day, "wheat pennies are made of copper aren't they? I was reading the other day that copper pennies are worth more than face value." It seems he's trying to push me down the path of admitting I'm sorting for copper. This guy is really annoying. He gives me the "uh huh" skeptical look every time I answer his questions. He knows what I'm after and he's just intent on trying to make me admit me. Like it's a crime or something! Next time I'll tell him the fountain story, I liked that one too. Maybe I'll start coming up with more and more outrageous stories.

He probably realizes that you know he is doing a job than most women do and is trying to compensate by being a dick.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue May 10, 2011 2:14 am

inflationhawk wrote:He says the other day, "wheat pennies are made of copper aren't they? I was reading the other day that copper pennies are worth more than face value."

Then you tell him that the United States Government forbids melting of the pennies.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue May 10, 2011 9:19 am

cesariojpn wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:He says the other day, "wheat pennies are made of copper aren't they? I was reading the other day that copper pennies are worth more than face value."

Then you tell him that the United States Government forbids melting of the pennies.

It's funny you should say that, that was exactly what I was thinking later that I should have said. I'll definitely use that next time.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 am

Chief wrote:By the way, today I picked up a box of dimes to search for silver and mixed them in with my dump bags just to add coins other than pennies. $534 dumped today. Also, found one 1963 silver dime! :D

Consider this Chief, many hobbies will cost you more money out of pocket. If you're returning you're unwanted change, then you're only spending the costs to transport it around.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 am

CrazyTom wrote:He probably realizes that you know he is doing a job than most women do and is trying to compensate by being a dick.

Yeah, I think it's more likely he's trying to be a hero and trying to uncover some nefarious plot of deception/terrorism. He probably thinks I am funding some terrorist organization with pennies. :lol:
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue May 10, 2011 9:29 am

Number21 wrote:I don't know why you guys hide your real motives. Hoarding coppers isn't illegal. It's the bank's job to provide you with your stock.

Spread the word, the more people that realize what's going on, the more there will be interested in buying them, and the more there will be sorting them out of existance and increasing the price of what you already have.

The banks "job" is to make a profit for the stockholders. Nobody has a constitutional right to have financial institutions supply their hoard.

As for telling people, sssssshhh, many of us perfer that more people remain ignorant, while we stock up the base metals. ;)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby ibeakc » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

I regularly dump all my pennies in the coin sorter. I usually carry them in in half full 5 gallon buckets. up $350 to per deposit or so. find out when the armored truck comes and go the morning of. I trade all my zincs for bags that have been dumped throughout the week. Fresh bags to me, Many zincs straight to Brinks. The girls have to bring their little cart out then stand there while it fills $50 bags. :lol: Got a bag of halves last week too. They fill those about once a month, and my other bank is about ready with one also. 3 silvers. 2 40%. 1 1893 commemortive coin,MS+. they laughed out loud when I said I'd like to get paid for all my pennies with half dollars! :P It is amazing how far a $10 gift certificate will get you!!
ibeakc

Postby inflationhawk » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 am

exbingoaddict wrote:
Chief wrote:By the way, today I picked up a box of dimes to search for silver and mixed them in with my dump bags just to add coins other than pennies. $534 dumped today. Also, found one 1963 silver dime! :D

Consider this Chief, many hobbies will cost you more money out of pocket. If you're returning you're unwanted change, then you're only spending the costs to transport it around.

Great point, this is exactly why I really like this penny sorting hobby.

A. I enjoy it a great deal
B. It's basically free other than the opportunity cost of my time and a little bit of gas
C. It's potentially lucrative with the chance for a high return on investment, but no loss possible.
D. It's actually not bad exercise lifting all these boxes of coins around
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gettin copper » Tue May 10, 2011 12:19 pm

I've been dumping at a bank with many branches near my house. No lobby coin machine, so I usally only dump about $50 bucks in zinc per branch everytime I go out for errands etc.

If they ask, I tell them the same thing I tell my pickup banks. I tell banks that " I started volunteering at a boys camp a couple hrs north of my house. Each counceler(sp) is responsible for hosting/sponsoring a weekly activity. I choose coin collecting blah blah. The bank ladies seem to like my volunteering efforts ;)
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby palmvtree » Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 pm

I like it Inflationhawk!

A. I enjoy it a great deal
B. It's basically free other than the opportunity cost of my time and a little bit of gas
C. It's potentially lucrative with the chance for a high return on investment, but no loss possible.
D. It's actually not bad exercise lifting all these boxes of coins around

We need to start a Letterman top ten reasons for sorting pennies.

10. Getting credit for watching TV and chic flicks with the wife, but really I am all about finding more copper

9. Great workout without having to pay for a gym membership (*in heavy German accent* I lift the bricks of pennies up and I put them down)

LOL keep it going and add more!

By the way, I have used the excuse that our office is having a penny drive and I am always the unlucky guy who gets to "drop off the money". The never ending penny drive! Of course I always end up leaving the bank telling myself that one day I really should start a penny drive at work for a cause, free inventory to sort! :lol:
palmvtree

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing