Tonights find... my BEST FIND EVER - 1914-D XF-AU?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Tonights find... my BEST FIND EVER - 1914-D XF-AU?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Just looked at it again, whats going on with the 4? It looks like its been flattened? It that just the picture?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby willy13 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:04 pm

thats an amazing find.... :o
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Well....did this pupppy come from a box or bank bag? You never did say....! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CU Baker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Merry X-mas, no chunk of coal this year. Congrats :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm

An acetone bath won't mess up the coin? I thought if they were cleaned in any way then it ruined the value and could not be graded. How long do you bathe it for? I just happen to have cases and cases of HPLC Grade Acetone and tens of thousands of gallons of industrial grade acetone right here! (We blend cleaning solvents for the graphic arts industry)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:21 pm

NHsorter wrote:An acetone bath won't mess up the coin? I thought if they were cleaned in any way then it ruined the value and could not be graded. How long do you bathe it for? I just happen to have cases and cases of HPLC Grade Acetone and tens of thousands of gallons of industrial grade acetone right here! (We blend cleaning solvents for the graphic arts industry)

Please dont do anything to it. Just leave it as is. There are things you can do but unless you know what you are doing you can really screw it up and lose 99% of the value.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chaboo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice...very nice!
I'm curious about the acetone too....
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Just looked at it again, whats going on with the 4? It looks like its been flattened? It that just the picture?

I think it is some crud, in combination with the lighting that makes that look funny in the pic. Looks a little better to the naked eye. I'm gonna look at it tonight with some good magnification.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:16 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:
NHsorter wrote:An acetone bath won't mess up the coin? I thought if they were cleaned in any way then it ruined the value and could not be graded. How long do you bathe it for? I just happen to have cases and cases of HPLC Grade Acetone and tens of thousands of gallons of industrial grade acetone right here! (We blend cleaning solvents for the graphic arts industry)

Please dont do anything to it. Just leave it as is. There are things you can do but unless you know what you are doing you can really screw it up and lose 99% of the value.

Dont take my word for it......but acetone won't hurt the coin. It certainly dries your hands out though! In my experience the acetone bath really doesn't help get much gunk off the coin. I would probably clean it with soap and water though.

Typically when you hear "cleaned coin" its ment that something was put on the coin that altered its surcface. IE: any polishing, silver dip, ect.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Acetone will not hurt the coin. all it will do is soften the gunk on the coin so water can rinse it off
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm

I think I'll mess around with some beat up teens and 20's wheats tonight to see what happens. Right now I have NO plans to even remove this 1914 from the 2x2 because I don't trust myself with it at this point. Thanks for all the help!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Anybody got any before and after pics of coins soaked in acetone?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Well....did this pupppy come from a box or bank bag? You never did say....! :D

It came from a box with Loomis printed on the rolling paper.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Congrats - great find.

I wouldn't clean in any way - any rubbing, soap, etc., CAN cause damage, scratches, etc. There are certain solutions you can apply that can help remove the "gunk" . It can be "improved" but if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing, you could ruin the coin.

If you go to www.coincommunity.com and seek out user "BadThad" - he is an expert on this and actually also has created a preservation/cleaning solution when used correctly will not harm the coin. I have some, and used it on a couple of my older, better wheats. I'd send him a photo of your find and ask his advice.

Again - congrats. Awesome find in the wild.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:49 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:Anybody got any before and after pics of coins soaked in acetone?

Proof is right here. notice the gunk around the rims.
BEFORE

ALSO NOTICE IT UNDER E IN ONE

After

NO GUNK

Then the Real test

Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm

He he, slick. Thanks for the pics.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:58 am

NHsorter wrote:I think I'll mess around with some beat up teens and 20's wheats tonight to see what happens. Right now I have NO plans to even remove this 1914 from the 2x2 because I don't trust myself with it at this point. Thanks for all the help!

A car guy once told me: If it's not right, just walk away.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:46 am

I thought I would post a couple pics that I took last night. I held a loupe up to the lens on my phones camera and snapped these. It shows a good close up of the details as well as the crud on the coin. I am still pondering what to do. I think if this crud was somehow safely removed then the coin would probably grade higher. I just don't have the guts to try anything.

I have not figured out how to get these pics to post up larger than this, but you should be ableto zoom in with your browser with "CTRL+" to get a closer look.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MikeyPooh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 am

Didn't I hear about one of the third party graders offering a coin restoration service? For something like your coin, I think that might be the way to go, let the pros do it....
MikeyPooh

Postby stash » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah.. I agree it may be worth it to have it professionally cleaned and then graded.
stash

Postby NHsorter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

I would be interested to hear more details if anyone has experience with a coin restoration/cleaning service. Thanks guys!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

NHsorter wrote:I thought I would post a couple pics that I took last night. I held a loupe up to the lens on my phones camera and snapped these. It shows a good close up of the details as well as the crud on the coin. I am still pondering what to do. I think if this crud was somehow safely removed then the coin would probably grade higher. I just don't have the guts to try anything.

I have not figured out how to get these pics to post up larger than this, but you should be ableto zoom in with your browser with "CTRL+" to get a closer look.

Try photobucket.....free site....I upload all of my pics there....they have some neat editing features....try it out.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby willy13 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:03 pm

no advice but that really is a damn nice looking coin!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby willy13 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 pm

daviscfad, how long did you soak that coin in acetone?
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:39 am

I wonder what's going on with this coin, it will be interesting to hear how it grades. They did figure it definitely needed a cleaning.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing