Thinking outside the box (literally)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Thinking outside the box (literally)

Postby wagsthadog » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi there Beau-

Haha, I am a huge CMartenson fan as well, I loved his recent presentation in Spain- No, I agree 100% with the fundamentals on ALL metals in the future, and the horrors of liquid fuel/energy shortages for our world- But I can't change the world resource picture; only prepare as best I can, and I was just throwing the few points we can start thinking about and maybe planning for on the small/medium size average copper guy in the everyday sense.

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 pm

beauanderos wrote:Everyone here is concerned that the USPS might be the ones to impose change on the system, by raising the prices to ship flat rate. Not a single respondent questions whether the present system is sustainable. It is NOT. Peak oil will put air transport out of business some day. It is not a question of if it might happen, or when might it happen. It is inevitable and imminent, and you will have far greater concerns as a result, than merely pondering how profitable it might be to continue sorting cents. An interesting perspective of the after-effects of a world undergoing post peak-oil is the recently released movie Atlas Shrugged. For those who think I'm a tree-hugger, go take the Crash Course at chrismartenson.com and then you might want to rethink your skepticism.

Right on the mark. I second the go take the crash course. I watch it when I sort. I have watched it many many times. To get the answer to your question all you have to do is ask any Canadian. It is not profitable to sell unless you make a trip to the states for the flat rate or you have a local buyer. That is with the current prices of copper, gas, and fiat.

Any other Canucks feel like commenting?
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Everyone here is concerned that the USPS might be the ones to impose change on the system, by raising the prices to ship flat rate. Not a single respondent questions whether the present system is sustainable. It is NOT. Peak oil will put air transport out of business some day. It is not a question of if it might happen, or when might it happen. It is inevitable and imminent, and you will have far greater concerns as a result, than merely pondering how profitable it might be to continue sorting cents. An interesting perspective of the after-effects of a world undergoing post peak-oil is the recently released movie Atlas Shrugged. For those who think I'm a tree-hugger, go take the Crash Course at chrismartenson.com and then you might want to rethink your skepticism.

Right on the mark. I second the go take the crash course. I watch it when I sort. I have watched it many many times. To get the answer to your question all you have to do is ask any Canadian. It is not profitable to sell unless you make a trip to the states for the flat rate or you have a local buyer. That is with the current prices of copper, gas, and fiat.

Any other Canucks feel like commenting?

On the Canadian side frugal canuk makes a good point. A large enough quantity can provide alternative transportation that could be as cheap as FRBs
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cupronickel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 pm

The major cost to the post office is the disability payments to all of the mail carriers who injured their backs lifting those deceptively heavy boxes.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 am

cupronickel wrote:The major cost to the post office is the disability payments to all of the mail carriers who injured their backs lifting those deceptively heavy boxes.

I disagree. The major cost to the post office is no one ever getting fired. For the most part they all start out at 17+/yr will full benefites and unless they steal or do something major its nearly impossbile for them to get fired. This means you have about 2x the employees for the job!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
cupronickel wrote:The major cost to the post office is the disability payments to all of the mail carriers who injured their backs lifting those deceptively heavy boxes.

I disagree. The major cost to the post office is no one ever getting fired. For the most part they all start out at 17+/yr will full benefites and unless they steal or do something major its nearly impossbile for them to get fired. This means you have about 2x the employees for the job!

BINGO. That's a key problem with all government jobs. People can dig in far more easily than jobs where *doing a good job is rewarded*. In government work the reward is consistently not doing a bad enough job to be fired. That's why 100% of government activity gets CRUSHED when competition is allowed.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wpd7 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

You missed his joke.
wpd7
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing