Green Cancer

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Green Cancer

Postby mtldealer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:35 am

Can anyone recommend a good tumbler? After reading this thread I checked my hoard and it's infected :-(
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:48 am

This all sounds like money laundering to me. I toss the worst ones in a separate bag but only if I happen to notice. My big contamination is finding 95% US copper in my 98% Canadian copper pennies.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:46 am

galenrog wrote:I take care of "green cancer" with a tumbler and VERY LITTLE clear dish soap. Just a drop or two. Tumble for a hour or two. Rinse well and air dry. Do this only with coins that you know have no numismatic value.

I am getting ready to tumble my first batch of greenies. Do you put water or anything else in there too, or just a couple drops of dish soap and the pennies?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hags » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15 pm

mtldealer wrote:Can anyone recommend a good tumbler? After reading this thread I checked my hoard and it's infected :-(

I use the UV-10....works great... http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html
I run mine with the Silicon Carbide 120/220 coarse grit http://www.therockshed.com/grit.html

I run my tumbler dry only for two hours per batch of 1,000 coins....then I sift the grit to seperate the coins out and wash them in an acetone bath, then a distilled water rinse....finally air dried and bagged...

I intend to hold my hoard for 20+ years, so if and when I open the horad I expect to see clean copper...

My coins look just like tinhorn's final picture....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm going to save this reference, and decide later while I accumulate the uglies.

Also interested in hearing about the various tumbling techniques, grit vs no grit, etc.

Thanks!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm

NHsorter wrote:
galenrog wrote:I take care of "green cancer" with a tumbler and VERY LITTLE clear dish soap. Just a drop or two. Tumble for a hour or two. Rinse well and air dry. Do this only with coins that you know have no numismatic value.

I am getting ready to tumble my first batch of greenies. Do you put water or anything else in there too, or just a couple drops of dish soap and the pennies?

Try adding some aquarium gravel along with the teeny tiny amount of dish soap. Proportionally to the size of your tumbler. I use a Chicago 3 lb tumbler on coin shooting finds and I use between a 1/3 and a 1/2 a cup. Cleans up stuff out of the ground pretty good so it might help with the greenie problem. You can keep using the gravel until the edges go smooth.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:50 pm

I used one exactly like this through the summer, but I don't have an indoor place to set it up so it's mothballed for the winter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370504926057?ss ... 1438.l2649

Now I'm using a Lortone rock tumbler with three 12-pound barrels. I use plastic BBs for general washing because they don't remove any of the patina. (I dual-sort, then wash, then final-sort before a visual inspection.) Those with any green on them go to another 12-pound Lortone with aquarium gravel (hat tip to Diggin). I've gradually reduced the amount of soap to several drops. I use equal amounts of pennies and medium, then enough water to cover the entire mess. I had a hard time getting them to dry without spotting until I stumbled across a jewelry tumbler/dryer. So from the wash they get rinsed, acetone-soaked, briefly air-dried for the vapors to dissipate, then into the tumbler/dryer.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Since you all are already "facilitized" for processing blemished coins, I'm tempted to just offer my cast-offs to those with the equipjment, at extreme discount (face + shipping + teeny premium). I don't think I could ever make enough off of them (it would take decades) to justify buying all the equipment you guys have. Now if I was into reloading, or metal detecting, or had some other reason for dual-use, it would make more sense.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing