New Legislation Seeks Steel Cents & Nickels Immediately

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: New Legislation Seeks Steel Cents & Nickels Immediately

Postby adagirl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 pm

cesariojpn wrote:Now if they would overturn Obama's Dollar Coin ban and ban dollar bills......it'll save us more money.

Right on man. What are the odds of Obama doing anything useful?
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:41 pm

adagirl wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:Now if they would overturn Obama's Dollar Coin ban and ban dollar bills......it'll save us more money.

Right on man. What are the odds of Obama doing anything useful?

I blame it more on lobbying by Crane and Co than Obama.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:33 pm

My question is why was this bill even introducted The bill HR 6162 bill that was passed over the summer gives the secretary of treasury the power to change the composition at anytime without a vote from the senate or congress.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby dpwozney » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:00 pm

ZenOps wrote:There is not a single circulation coin produced in Canada that is not 94% iron composition or so (2011)

Probably at least half of the 2011 Canadian pennies are not magnetic and are likely composed mainly of zinc.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:09 pm

dpwozney wrote:
ZenOps wrote:There is not a single circulation coin produced in Canada that is not 94% iron composition or so (2011)

Probably at least half of the 2011 Canadian pennies are not magnetic and are likely composed mainly of zinc.

I did notice that as well. There are also a good chunk of 25% nickel 2006 nickels (I am assuming they are 25% nickel, but they could be filled with Jell-O for all the information the Mint is giving) Anyone who magnetically sorts, will instantly recognize these anomalies.

It disturbs me greatly as they make no mention of this on their website. If the Canadian mint cannot be bothered to mention slight anomalies like the steel and zinc penny years, what makes anyone think they are going to bother to mention it when a silver coin is not a silver coin, or a gold coin is not a gold coin, or a nickel is 2% nickel or sometimes 25%.
Last edited by ZenOps on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 pm

highroller4321 wrote:My question is why was this bill even introducted The bill HR 6162 bill that was passed over the summer gives the secretary of treasury the power to change the composition at anytime without a vote from the senate or congress.

Maybe congress wants to "force" it. Just because you give someone the power to change it, doesn't necessarily mean they will. Secretary of treasury might just say "no" and until he is replaced, its his call.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 am

And how long before inflation makes steel pennies uneconomical?
Mike
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 am

Mike wrote:And how long before inflation makes steel pennies uneconomical?

Once that occurs the only choice will be to discontinue them, so steel still "works".
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:28 am

slickeast wrote:
camtender wrote: From 1942 to 1945, the composition of the nickel was changed to 56% copper, 25% silver, and 9% manganese to preserve more copper and nickel for wartime needs.

REALLY? What is the other 10% of the coin?

Something about the way I read this and the little roadrunner profile pic made this hilarious.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:57 am

ZenOps wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:My question is why was this bill even introducted The bill HR 6162 bill that was passed over the summer gives the secretary of treasury the power to change the composition at anytime without a vote from the senate or congress.

Maybe congress wants to "force" it. Just because you give someone the power to change it, doesn't necessarily mean they will. Secretary of treasury might just say "no" and until he is replaced, its his call.

This is true but I would think it would be much easier to "lobby" him to get it to change than it would be to get a house and senate vote passed!

Plus the guy could look like a small "hero" by saving hundreds of millions. (yes I know that is chump change to the government.)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 am

"Saving" money has never been what america is about. America is about racing your 1940's jet plane around a racetrack on weekends, burning up a few thousand in fuel and putting it on a credit card.

Personally I think the US greatly fears the transition to steel coinage (as they should) Its a tremendous blow to currency confidence for any trading nation that still sees metal as money.

The Secretary of treasury that announces steel coinage in the US may become as infamous as Nixon and Nixon Shock. Mind you, with the Euro looking decrepit right now - its the perfect time to debase *all* coins in the US - from penny to half dollar.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing