Methods used for penny sorting

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Methods used for penny sorting

Postby cooyon » Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm

I hand sort for relaxation, sometimes 2-3 hours at a time, sometimes just until I have 1-2 rolls of Cu. I am small time, will never buy a Ryedale. Have been doing hand sorting for 55 years and love it. I cut out a 12" x 12" cardboard to use as a sorting platform, keeps the grime off the table. Usually dump 5-10 rolls at a time on the cardboard, if I don't get through all of them just leave it for the next time. I segregate as follows: wheats, 1959-1981, all 1982, 1983-to date, Canadians, other foreign, and mutilated/damaged/corroded. I have a small gooseneck lamp with a 60W CFL bulb, and a magnifying glass with a built-in light. Small time but it works great for me, that's all that counts. I roll Cu as I go, and store rolls in plastic shoe boxes or whatever durable containers I have at the time. I have maybe $300 in Cu rolls, have never found an Indian Head cent yet, but hope springs eternal. Someday I will try to sort my jar of 1982s, looks like mostly CU.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing