Ryedale & Indian Head / Early Wheats

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Ryedale & Indian Head / Early Wheats

Postby lahmejoon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Agreed. VERY helpful. Thanks!
lahmejoon

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:30 am

I machine sorted my Cu buckets last night and wrote the results down. The accept coin was a 1969 D in AU. I dont usually hand sort the Cu buckets but I may do these, just to see what is hiding from the Apprentice. The zinc rejects range from SCP's (super corroded pennies), to BU 2010's.

$100 from bags, wheats recovered...'38D, '40, (2) '41, '41D, '55

$125 from boxes, 2301 Cu cents, 4 canadian, 1 foreign, 11 memorials, 3 wheats; '40, '41, '41D & 177 zincs

$100 from bags, 2066 Cu cents, 2 canadians, 0 foreign, 6 memorials, 4 wheats: '34, '34D, '41D, '55 & 193 zincs

$100 from boxes, 1866 Cu cents, 4 canadians, 1 foreign, 10 memorials, 3 wheats: '32D, '39, '42 & 267 zincs

*edit> I handsorted the 1866 Cu bucket...I found 2 zincs, 6 canadians with one George VI, 29 wheats from 1944 -1958, one being a 1945D red beauty.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby silvercoin_buyer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:44 am

All the Indians and 75% of the early wheats along with occasional dimes always hit the zinc bucket. I can't believe your taking them to COINSTAR when there are plenty of banks out there that will accept loose bags. I hand search my zincs and coppers for oldies. It don't take very long at all. Usually less than an hour per 4.5 gallon bucket for the zincs and a little longer for the coppers. I run them under a halogen light by the handful and can spot oldies in the zincs as they look very orange. The coppers on the other hand require a look at the date on all the coins that are heads up. tails up is a given...
silvercoin_buyer

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm

No method is perfect, but after finding Indians in a batch that had been sorted both ways a few years back I developed a method that works for me. I do a copper accept run. All the Indians and early wheats go into the reject bucket with the zinc. I pull the zinc out a handful at a time and do a quick visual sort on it in a black plastic dishpan I got at the dollar store. Very easy to see the good stuff on a bed of shiny zincs if you don't do too many at once and shake them around a little. Then I dump that bucket into another bucket to be dumped into one of the automatic rolling machines for processing. Depending on what I have running they might just get dumped into the rolling machine directly instead of the bucket. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 am

This is a very informative thread! :clap: Glad I stumbled onto it since I couldn't sleep... Wanted to comment on it so it would bump it up for any other newbies to machine sorting could find it much faster than I did..... It answered tons of questions I was going to have to start new threads for to ask. Guess insomina is good for something sometimes... :roll: :P :roll:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 am

I was wondering why I saw you on here so late last night when you are not normally on. Of course you know you can always ask any question here and I would try to give you a verisimiltudenous answer. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 pm

On my first run I use a zinc penny that I sanded all the copper off of. :ugeek:
As a test I ran 300 pre-40's and only 12 were accepted, of the ones accepted most were very corroded.

Then on the second run I use any ol' copper penny.
I ran the same batch of 300 and about half were accepted.

I watch the copper accept closely to pick the wheats as they drop.
The number of wheats I pull now compared to when I hand-sorted is about the same.
If I miss any at least they are still in my hoard to be discovered later. 8-)

This method doesn't really work for IH's.
I just hope I'll see them before they get dumped.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing