End of the Penny and Nickel

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: End of the Penny and Nickel

Postby scyther » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Morsecode wrote:Discontinuing the minting of cents and nickels, or changing compositions = high probability

"Removing" them from circulation, as originally posted in the article = no way

I agree about changing the composition (especially for the nickel) but if they discontinue them, then why not remove them? Seems like common sense to try to reclaim metal value...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

OH NO! I just read that they are NOT getting rid of them but are changing the composition! Pictures have been leaked today, which show the final trial strikes, which are in ALUMINUM! Mint director expressed regret that the pics were out before the press conference, but added they would begin in full force sometime in early 2013.
Just sort more!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 am

uthminsta wrote:OH NO! I just read that they are NOT getting rid of them but are changing the composition! Pictures have been leaked today, which show the final trial strikes, which are in ALUMINUM! Mint director expressed regret that the pics were out before the press conference, but added they would begin in full force sometime in early 2013.
Just sort more!

Here the photo that was leaked to me--
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Is this for real? The 2013 cent will be aluminum? I can't believe it...
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:57 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:http://financialservices.house.gov/calendar/eventsingle.aspx?EventID=312621
So does anyone know what went on in said hearing? Had a couple weird posts here with some crazy rumors in the last couple days but can't find real confirmation on anything.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Gotcha.

I wasn't sure how long to let my "aluminum rumor" go. I was mostly just poking fun at the fact that this thread is ABOUT an article that isn't true... so I created a second rumor. The "aluminum" image IS NOT REAL. It's from a good friend and member here, The_Tallness. He's a graphic designer; I asked him to alter a 2012 coin scan to create a realistic looking aluminum cent.

Gotcha.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm

uthminsta wrote:Gotcha.

I wasn't sure how long to let my "aluminum rumor" go. I was mostly just poking fun at the fact that this thread is ABOUT an article that isn't true... so I created a second rumor. The "aluminum" image IS NOT REAL. It's from a good friend and member here, The_Tallness. He's a graphic designer; I asked him to alter a 2012 coin scan to create a realistic looking aluminum cent.

Gotcha.

Good thing you ain't in Texas. We'd clean your plow if you was here. :clap: :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Ha ha, good one uthminsta. :lol:
You had me for a little bit. I was wondering why aluminum, isn't zinc cheaper?
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm

NHsorter wrote:
reddirtcoins wrote:http://financialservices.house.gov/calendar/eventsingle.aspx?EventID=312621
So does anyone know what went on in said hearing? Had a couple weird posts here with some crazy rumors in the last couple days but can't find real confirmation on anything.

That URL has links to what was spoken about.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Another link, another interesting article.

http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/2012/ ... 51818.html
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am

and keep in mind.

"Acting Director of the U.S. Mint, Richard Peterson, discussed the decrease in revenue in the Mint’s numismatic and bullion coin programs, the research and development program the Mint has been using to explore metallic alternatives to the current metals used in circulating coinage, and said that in December the Mint will issue its first annual report on the findings of the R&D program, which is a result of provisions in the Coinage Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010."

found at:
http://www.coinweek.com/featured-news/t ... and-sense/
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mauserman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with this 'story.' I keep seeing BrotherJohnF [from Silver for the People] talk about it and he mentioned in his latest video that Gheitner has said they are doing away with pennies and nickels by next year. Maybe just changing the composition? Is there any truth to it? And I can't help but think I remember seeing ZH post something about this a few days ago... :?: These sources normally do good fact checking.
Mauserman

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm

This is the way I see it. The report isn't due until December.
"in December the Mint will issue its first annual report" then if you look at the coin act they can extend this process out another 2 years, and again and again.
I wouldn't listen to anything until we hear what they have to say in the meeting next month.

Just my 2 cents
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing