Bank pick up advice needed

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Bank pick up advice needed

Postby knibloe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 am

RedRockGirl wrote:Also I got the box of halves from dad, one 1969. It was a brinks rolled box. There were 12 coins with big marker initials, and 8 with a green marker line on them. One coin with both the line and the initials. I suppose that isn't a good sign. :evil:

I would be suprised if you ever get a box of halves that doesn't have a lot of marked ones. Last week I scored 55 silvers in one box. There were probably 4x that in halves with a black "x" on them. Twice in the last 3 months I have gotten boxes with 50+ silver. It is just a matter of time/volume. As far as not wanting to be a pain to someone at the bank, if you let that completely rule your sourcing, you won't get much/any coin. It is a balance between your desire for the hobby, your desire to be fair to the banks (Helps to remember that they generally aren't looking out for you), and your desire to treat the tellers fairly. I honestly feel bad every time I dump a couple of boxes on some poor teller, but I try to spread it around so that I don't hit the same bank or teller more than once every other month.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 am

mtldealer wrote:For 2012 I was doing 10 to 15K a week in Halfs... I can't stress enough. Don't let the marked coins get you down. I know a few people in the same state as me (California) who were marking/painting coins. I get there coins and int the same boxes pull franklins and walking liberty's. the best pull I have ever found a barber half dollar was in one of those boxes. The coins are constantly being mixed over and over. Where the "new" coins are coming from is anybody's guess. I have my conspiracy theory's about it... But at the end of the day it's 2013 and we are still finding 40% and 90% silver in circulated coin. Who would have thought that?

I completely agree.. Glad CA is so big so mtldealer doesn't get all my halves.. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby thripp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 am

Weighing the boxes of cents is definitely the way to go. I do that with all my boxes and if it's below 9% copper I don't even bother opening it. This is happening more often, unfortunately. I may be exhausting the supply of copper in my area. :)

Halves are far better than cents if you have enough money, banks that will order them, and banks that will accept them for return. I have done hundreds of boxes and average about 1.4 40% and 0.25 90% per box. However, that is not counting the "repacked dumps" which are just boxes of coin that has been searched already. About 1 in 10 boxes is like that.
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Postby MrIncredible » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 am

thripp wrote:Weighing the boxes of cents is definitely the way to go. I do that with all my boxes and if it's below 9% copper I don't even bother opening it. This is happening more often, unfortunately. I may be exhausting the supply of copper in my area.

Can someone recommend a good scale for weighing boxes? TIA!
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 pm

A good one is the one I use.. it is a vendor scale that is good up to 60 pounds with accuracy to 2 hundredths of a pound.. but you don't want to pay what those cost. I think there are postal scales for $10-12 that should get you close enough if weighing by the box. If weighing by the roll a little digital in the same price range would probably work fine. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing