Is anybody else having problems shipping CTU's?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Is anybody else having problems shipping CTU's?

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

The rule is you can't completely cover it in tape. As long as part of the box is uncovered, it meets the rules.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:15 pm

itsmerobbyb wrote:
mishra142 wrote:If anyone wants to sell some of those stickers or go in together on some pm me. I don't see me needed 1000 of them.

i just got a pack of 300 for $10 shipped.. there are other lots on feebay for the stickers check em out

Hell, you can even buy tape marked HEAVY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300838869457?ss ... 1438.l2649
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby itsmerobbyb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Engineer wrote:The rule is you can't completely cover it in tape. As long as part of the box is uncovered, it meets the rules.

What part is supposed to be left uncovered? Because it looks like those boxes are wrapped 100%
Who will find the LAST copper penny?
itsmerobbyb

Postby daviscfad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Their is no adhesive on medium flat rate so I don't know how you would send it not taped
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

I think the no tape rule they keep referring to is a throwback from the old days when there was no such thing as a flat rate box and we used to send 34 pound flat rate envelopes. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby slickeast » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 am

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/123.htm

Rule 1.5

Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes

Any amount of material (up to 70 pounds) may be mailed in a USPS-produced Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I just sent mailed two boxes of CTUs. I put a medium flat rate box inside another flat rate box. and they miraculously came back to me with a sticker on the label, saying that I cannot alter the size or shape of the box.

So, I went back to the PO, reboxed it using ONLY one box, lugged them to the counter and the teller told me that I couldn't ship it this way.

WTF? They said that I couldn't use ANY tape on the box at all!!! That I couldn't reinforce the box in any way. They said the box has self stick tape and that is all that is allowed.

Before I did so, I got a supervisor over to the table, and asked him if the box with the tape was ok. He said no, they are not trying to bust your balls, but WHAT THE HECK IS IN THERE. I told the guy it was pennies. He said people are so stupid- why don't they just go to the bank! :lol:

So, I opened up the 2 boxes, repacked them in two new boxes and put them back on the counter.

Hopefully they will ship, and not appear back on my doorstep!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I have never seen a medium flat rate box that comes with self stick tape. I order them from the USPS web site in bundles of 25 boxes at a time. You have to unfold them and tape the seams together or you wouldn't have a box to put anything in.

I always double box what I ship. But you can not alter the demenions of the box so I cut the corners of the box I put inside the other box and fold the sides down by about a half an inch and tape all the top flaps down so that when you close up the outside box the demensions of the outside box do not change. If you don't do this the top of your box will buldge up and the seam will not close tight together and they consider that an altered box and will reject it.

As far as tape goes you want to get tape that is somewhat transparent and try to leave a couple of the flat rate words on the box so that you can read them. But as long as you are under 70 lbs you shouldn't have a problem and should be able to use as much tape as you want. But it is hard to double box and use as much tape as you should and stay under 70lbs. That is just one reason why I like sending 3/4 CTU's I don't have any problem double boxing and using as much tape as I want. Plus I can't hardly get those 70lb boxes up the stairs anymore.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Print the rules out from their website that I posted above. Take it with you and give it to whoever gives you a problem.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 pm

It sucks when you have to educate people about their job when they are doing their job...Being married to a letter carrier I have heard plenty of stories about how stupid people, clerks, and especially supervisors are in the USPS. However I dont know any. ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm

slickeast wrote:Print the rules out from their website that I posted above. Take it with you and give it to whoever gives you a problem.

I do this now, but it did no good when I was arguing with a guy over the phone who was 1800 miles away about how much tape I could use.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby adagirl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Here is what my boxes look like when I ship them.

Completely covered with reinforced strapping tape plus then after that I cover the box again with clear tape to keep the edges of the strapping tape from rolling up.

The filament tape that ND Farmer uses is one of the keys to successfully shipping heavy items like a CTU. Don't ask why I know this.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Zincanator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 pm

The opposite of that awesome tape job (pic)...? This was one I got that was only 34 lbs. It's like they hire somebody to drop them off a 5-story building before delivery... every... single... time.

snap.jpg
snap.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 am

Zincanator wrote:The opposite of that awesome tape job (pic)...? This was one I got that was only 34 lbs. It's like they hire somebody to drop them off a 5-story building before delivery... every... single... time.

That's why i like to put a full CTU in every box.. no room for them to squash the non-penny area. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PMLurker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 am

NDFarmer wrote:I have never seen a medium flat rate box that comes with self stick tape. I order them from the USPS web site in bundles of 25 boxes at a time. You have to unfold them and tape the seams together or you wouldn't have a box to put anything in.

There is more than one type of Medium Flat Rate Box. The Medium Flat Rate Boxes that are 12" x 3"x 14" have self stick tape.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm

I have never had any of these problems but then again I either go to the main branch for Cincinnati which is pretty professional because its a major sorting facility or I'm going to my local branch where there is only one person working at a time and I'm on a first name basis and we shoot the breeze like a barber shop.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 am

PMLurker wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:I have never seen a medium flat rate box that comes with self stick tape. I order them from the USPS web site in bundles of 25 boxes at a time. You have to unfold them and tape the seams together or you wouldn't have a box to put anything in.

There is more than one type of Medium Flat Rate Box. The Medium Flat Rate Boxes that are 12" x 3"x 14" have self stick tape.

Plus there is the "convertible" Priority Mail/Express Mail boxes as well.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 am

PMLurker wrote:

Yes I knew about those. But I would not use those to ship 70 lbs of copper pennies. They are designed to seal up with self stick adhesive on the ends of the box and maybe that is some of problem that people are having if they are using those boxes. The postal employees know that those boxes seal up without tape. If you use the other more square box you have to use tape they don't come with any adhesive on them at all.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am

I don't think the other ones are quite as sturdy.. but they do fit 4 boxes of zinc really well.. and they do let you tape over the flaps and the seams. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

PMLurker wrote:The Medium Flat Rate Boxes that are 12" x 3"x 14" have self stick tape.

I use these boxes, 4 $25 boxes fit well. I put a plastic band around the box and tape the heck out of it, put "HEAVY" stickers all around it a ship away....no problems so far.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Yes I knew about those. But I would not use those to ship 70 lbs of copper pennies. They are designed to seal up with self stick adhesive on the ends of the box and maybe that is some of problem that people are having if they are using those boxes. The postal employees know that those boxes seal up without tape. If you use the other more square box you have to use tape they don't come with any adhesive on them at all.

I've reused the "slim" medium flatrate by resealing with tape (Just wrap around the edge and not across). Maybe because of my reuse of old boxes and not using a new one they let it slide.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thripp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 am

I have not had any problems besides the one that was returned for being "73 pounds" a few months ago. I got another post office to ship it after they weighed it 3 times, though.

I have been using the priority mail labels to reinforce the box. I used the 3"x2" ones on the sides and to seal the flaps, as well as the 12"x2" ones to seal the flaps to each other. I do not use reinforced or strapping tape, but just the Duck 50 yd. rolls for $1 each from Walmart and Scotch shipping tape on the sides to prevent the boxes from blowing out when dropped. However, I tape over every inch of the box including all the way around from two directions.

Inside, I include another box but cut it down a little so it fits. I used to buy coin bags online, but now get them for free from banks. The boxes usually come in at 69 lbs., 11 ozs.
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing