Copper cents dissapearing fast from circulation

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Copper cents dissapearing fast from circulation

Postby dannan14 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Engineer wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Mn is a great place to sort. I would get my pennies from there, but price for gas would kill me. :mrgreen:

Do you have easy rail service at the shop? A coal car can carry a hundred tons...

Good idea hehe. CSX is always sponsoring shows on NPR with a blurb of "We move 1 ton of freight 500 miles on 1 gallon of diesel"
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 pm

dannan14 wrote:Good idea hehe. CSX is always sponsoring shows on NPR with a blurb of "We move 1 ton of freight 500 miles on 1 gallon of diesel"

And then we could ship the zincs to the Dallas Fed to torture Shinnosuke. :twisted:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Engineer wrote:
dannan14 wrote:Good idea hehe. CSX is always sponsoring shows on NPR with a blurb of "We move 1 ton of freight 500 miles on 1 gallon of diesel"

And then we could ship the zincs to the Dallas Fed to torture Shinnosuke. :twisted:

Something told me I better check this thread again... Well, Mr. Engineer Smarty-Pants... I, uh...I'm gonna... For once, I'm speeachless. :cry:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Something told me I better check this thread again... Well, Mr. Engineer Smarty-Pants... I, uh...I'm gonna... For once, I'm speeachless. :cry:

After you sold off my last kidney, there was plenty of time to plot against you during dialysis. ;)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Engineer wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:
Engineer wrote:And then we could ship the zincs to the Dallas Fed to torture Shinnosuke. :twisted:

After you sold off my last kidney, there was plenty of time to plot against you during dialysis. ;)

Well, I was going to offer you one of my kidneys, but after those railcars of zincs showed up in my front yard, I'm having second thoughts. :P
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 pm

2 years ago I was getting 30% or so. I'm sure jacer333 has put a dent in that since then, but I need to get back to copper sorting. Halves have not been producing, probably my own fault. :?
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 am

dannan14 wrote:
Engineer wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Mn is a great place to sort. I would get my pennies from there, but price for gas would kill me. :mrgreen:

Do you have easy rail service at the shop? A coal car can carry a hundred tons...

Good idea hehe. CSX is always sponsoring shows on NPR with a blurb of "We move 1 ton of freight 500 miles on 1 gallon of diesel"

Sure, they can move it here for 6 gallons of diesel per ton.. but at 25% that works out to 24 gallons per ton.. and of course they sure ain't gonna move that freight for me for the cost of fuel.. they are gonna want a significant markup. The USPS is the only carrier I know of that will move the freight for below cost.

And unloading that railcar into Penny hauler 1 would be a lot of work.. just to get it back to the penny processing center would still be a significant job.. the payload of that Camry just doesn't measure up to the task.. even with the Heavy duty struts.

And imagine the fun I would have trying to dump that many zincs.. a few $thousand is tough enough.

And lastly.. liberating those coins would take so much time that I might have to cut back on my posting here.. as Santa again forgot to bring me the Rollcracker 1000.. even though I been good. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Gipper1985 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 am

johnbrickner wrote:I am steady between 20% - 25% just west of the greater Syracuse area, but finally discovered someone else using my fav podunk banks is sorting coppers by hand also. Canadian seem to be on a slight increase. About as many as these as '82s, CU that is.

I am just north of the greater Syracuse area and see a steady 20% - 25% too and I also sort by hand. I see anywhere from 20 to 50 canadians per box.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Engineer wrote:hundred tons...
...13,652 boxes or $341,300...34.13 million pennies....WOOHOO here comes the CHOO CHOO..Hoard, better lube up that SnP.

Historically still at 18% south of Houston 4 years later. We did see an increase to 21% for a while in 2010.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Pardon me boy.. is that the copper penny choo choo?

It's not my place to run the train
nor even shovel coal
It's not my place to run the train
nor even clang the bell
But let the damn thing jump the track
and see who catches hell

And you know if I had a hundred tons on a rail car.. it would for sure jump the track.

Eddy.. that increase in 2010 was due to the recession.. folks had to pull their pennies out of the sock drawers and roll them up. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm kinda hoping it is only about 32 million pennies.. I don't want them all to be zinc. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm

I think I can.. I think I can.. I think I can.. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby everything » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm

I just got a couple of boxes at the bank and they were just over 30%. If you think they are dissapearing fast you just might be getting some of your own dumps back.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 am

Chief wrote:2 years ago I was getting 30% or so. I'm sure jacer333 has put a dent in that since then, but I need to get back to copper sorting. Halves have not been producing, probably my own fault. :?

So I'm the bad guy eh?? :P

Since it appears that all pennies from the chain banks from kearney to omaha use the same processing facility in omaha, it is going to be tough to put a huge dent in the supply. Loomis sure has been spoiling my boxes lately with a handful of shield rolls! My heavy sorting is soon coming to an end though. I'll be hitting it hard until August, then I have to put my big boy pants on and start medical school. After that the area is all yours Chief. :thumbup:
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

everything wrote:I just got a couple of boxes at the bank and they were just over 30%.

The last two weeks my yield went up from 28% to 30%. :mrgreen:
I hope it continues...
The 7th district is the best. ;)
I haven't seen a single 2013 yet...knock on wood.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby crbattery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Sorted $400 last Saturday. $108 and some odd cents of keepers
crbattery

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 am

my last 60 boxes is still averaging 18.17% No real downward movement here.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 am

fasteddy wrote:my last 60 boxes is still averaging 18.17% No real downward movement here.

That's just what you did this week, right Eddy? :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:08 am

HA ha, sadly no, I wish, I haven't done that volume in a while...I have three big projects at the house right now....replacing 140 feet of custom cedar fencing, remodeling our master bath and tiling the entry, living area, dining and kitchen areas. Maybe next week.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm

What accounts for more of the percentage drop; old copper being removed from circ, or new zinc entering circ and diluting the pool?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 pm

SilverEye wrote:What accounts for more of the percentage drop; old copper being removed from circ, or new zinc entering circ and diluting the pool?

Yes. :mrgreen:
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby crbattery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 pm

$400 last night. .3125% coppers
crbattery

Postby dannan14 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 pm

crbattery wrote:$400 last night. .3125% coppers

Do you have the decimal two places to the left? If you actually got .3125% then you should have used a very mad smiley. :)
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:48 pm

dannan14 wrote:

Do you have the decimal two places to the left? If you actually got .3125% then you should have used a very mad smiley. :)

People often say ".25 cents" instead of "25 cents" here, but a percentage it's a little different... I wondered the same thing...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dannan14 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:59 am

scyther wrote:
dannan14 wrote:

People often say ".25 cents" instead of "25 cents" here, but a percentage it's a little different... I wondered the same thing...

actually in this case it is the exact same thing, not at all different....percent
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing