Japanese TV news segment on penny investing

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Japanese TV news segment on penny investing

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 am

Morsecode wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Pretty sure most of the serious copper hoarders are west of the Mississippi. :mrgreen:

So, that would explain why our cu percentages are so high in New England ;)

Ah, that explains it And here we thought it was because the economy was more vibrant out here.

Peenyhauler 1 and Pennyhauler 3 from the fleet of 4 are both Japenese cars. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TVTokyo » Wed May 29, 2013 9:46 am

Hi folks!

Glad to see all of the responses this thread has gotten. As it turns out, we can travel anywhere in the US if we need to, so if there are some penny hoarders on the west coast who would be up for a short interview, we would love to have you on our program.

The nature of the show is business news, so our primary goal is to make informative, interesting, and relevant news segments.

This could be a great piece. I would love to hear from anyone interested. PM or email me!

Thanks!

Ryan

ryan@tv-tokyo-america.com
TVTokyo

Postby fasteddy » Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Dang I am on the South Coast oh well...Hey hit that guy on the top here...his forum name is in red...means he is a heavy hitter in the penny market....and he is invisible so that would make for a "interesting, and relevant news segment".
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I am lost...isn't the west coast closer to Japan....shorter, cheaper flight?

I think Adam is behind this. :roll:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 29, 2013 6:18 pm

In 1983. I starred in a Japanese commercial for Misuno boxing gear.

That would be fun to see :lol:

Not here... http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/02/1 ... ng-movies/
hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

hobo finds wrote:In 1983. I starred in a Japanese commercial for Misuno boxing gear.

That would be fun to see :lol:

Not here... http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/02/1 ... ng-movies/

I would kill to see it. I asked for a VCR tape but never got one.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby henrysmedford » Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I am lost...isn't the west coast closer to Japan....shorter, cheaper flight?

I think Adam is behind this. :roll:

The reporter is based in New York.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

scyther wrote:If the yen continues to experience significant inflation, will it become worthwhile to hoard 1 yen coins? They're made of light, worthless aluminum, but it's better than steel...

The 10 Yen coin is made of 95% copper like the US penny, so that's what I would look to if I were Japanese. :thumbup:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 29, 2013 11:17 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:
scyther wrote:If the yen continues to experience significant inflation, will it become worthwhile to hoard 1 yen coins? They're made of light, worthless aluminum, but it's better than steel...

The 10 Yen coin is made of 95% copper like the US penny, so that's what I would look to if I were Japanese. :thumbup:

Just traded away 870 of the copper looking 10 yen coins.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby scyther » Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:

Not nearly 10 times as big as a penny though. I'm not sure what has the best metal/face ratio.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 am

fasteddy wrote:Dang I am on the South Coast oh well...Hey hit that guy on the top here...his forum name is in red...means he is a heavy hitter in the penny market....and he is invisible so that would make for a "interesting, and relevant news segment".

I thought you were in West Texas Eddy. The red forum name means I spend too much time posting and trying to keep you jokers in line.. and not enough time sorting. Not a heavy hitter at all.. a few tons have a surprisingly small footprint.

Not invisible at all.. Sightings are only slightly less frequent than the Chupacabra. Here is a recent rare action photo snapped at a local PO where he was trying to sneak off a couple of CTU's to a fellow member. Guess which state these were headed to. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby hags » Thu May 30, 2013 11:53 am

Look at them "guns" in action...I hope their audience have wide screen TVs to take it all in... :mrgreen:

hags

hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 pm

:lol:

Nice, hags
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby cesariojpn » Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 pm

scyther wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:

Not nearly 10 times as big as a penny though. I'm not sure what has the best metal/face ratio.

It's about 8 cents in melt value.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 pm

melt and exchange value here... http://currencydebasement.com/legal-tender&c=JPY
hobo finds

Postby TVTokyo » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am

Hi everyone,

Glad to see everyone's interest in the thread!

I am still looking to get in touch with someone anywhere in the US who collects pre-1982 pennies by the ton (or at least has a couple hundred pounds). That there is a community here of collectors who are so dedicated to this is fascinating to me. I would really like to find out more as to the why and how.

Essentially, I want to ask the following questions:

-Why did you start collecting/hoarding copper pennies?
-What do you plan on doing with them?
-Are you eagerly awaiting the day when the melt ban is lifted?
-How did you get into collecting/hoarding copper pennies?
-What does your spouse/significant other think of this?

Would love to hear your feedback!

-Ryan
TVTokyo

Postby theo » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 am

TVTokyo wrote:Hi everyone,

Glad to see everyone's interest in the thread!

I am still looking to get in touch with someone anywhere in the US who collects pre-1982 pennies by the ton (or at least has a couple hundred pounds). That there is a community here of collectors who are so dedicated to this is fascinating to me. I would really like to find out more as to the why and how.

Essentially, I want to ask the following questions:

-Why did you start collecting/hoarding copper pennies?
-What do you plan on doing with them?
-Are you eagerly awaiting the day when the melt ban is lifted?
-How did you get into collecting/hoarding copper pennies?
-What does your spouse/significant other think of this?

Would love to hear your feedback!

-Ryan

I think the questions 1, 2 and perhaps 3 can be addressed together. I can't speak for the others, but I am not wedded to any one scenario. I view my collection as a kind of long-term phyical savings account. As I said in a earlier post I'm concerned about the viability of the dollar as a currency. My hope is that the copper penny will serve an adequate inflation hedge should there be a currency devaluation. In an extreme scenerio (outright currency collapse) rolls or boxes of copper pennies could serve as tradeable assets. It would be great to have silver and gold in this situation as well, but at some point we will need to make change and that is where copper pennies (and nickels) would come in handy.

On the other hand if my fear is totally unfounded and nothing happens I still have the cash value of my pennies to fall back on should the need arise. Also some of these coins have (or will have) nuimismatic value. For example, I don't get many pre-1959 wheat pennies (about 6 - 8 a box) but when I accumate a few rolls I sell them for about $1.50 each. As far the melt ban is concerned, I think it will be lifted someday, but I'm not holding my breathe. Since I only spend about $50 to $75 a month on my hobby, I can afford to wait while I slowly accumulate copper.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri May 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Wall Street Journal noted today that copper delivery fees are very high these days, ie the cost of delivery above and beyond the "spot" price. This seems like it would be relevant to Japan due to the large amount of manufacturing and also that Japan must import most of its raw materials. Combine that with a weakening Yen and Japanese companies are probably paying through the nose for copper.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 54518.html
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby TVTokyo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi folks,

This discussion and level of knowledge of metal prices and shipping logistics is fascinating to me. Thanks for all of the responses!

I am still looking for a candidate to interview for this story. Please let me know if you might want to participate. I would love to hear from you!

Ryan
TVTokyo

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Wonder if this guy knows about the............."SWEOT"?
:o
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby JobIII » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:09 pm

So did anyone from the East Coast step up for this?
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Seriously guys someone on east coast has to have better than my 50 gallons of pennies to show off...

Think the problem is most of us like to keep our hoards on the down low...

Really you could probably just buy AP footage of Adam young and the other dozen or so stories on pennies done in US and save your tv station a ton of money :D, course you wouldn't get to leave NYC if that happened.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 pm

TVTokyo wrote:Hi folks,

This discussion and level of knowledge of metal prices and shipping logistics is fascinating to me. Thanks for all of the responses!

I am still looking for a candidate to interview for this story. Please let me know if you might want to participate. I would love to hear from you!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The number one rule in metals investment is you don't brag about your stack and show it off. Doing so has gotten many people robbed and some killed.

I am a big fan of Japan, but I would not let you film my stuff even if you gave me round trip tickets to Tokyo for a front row seat to a °C-ute! (Kyuuto) concert followed by a Polaroid event with Maimi Yajima.

Hmmmmmm ~~~ on second thought.... If you can make that happen let me know! :D
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cupronickel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Most people don't even realize that Japan used to have the "sen" which was 1/100 of a yen.
Now that one dollar equals about 100 yen, Japan should drop two zeroes.
Or, they could wait a few months and drop 3 zeroes.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 am

cupronickel wrote:Most people don't even realize that Japan used to have the "sen" which was 1/100 of a yen.
Now that one dollar equals about 100 yen, Japan should drop two zeroes.
Or, they could wait a few months and drop 3 zeroes.

Yep, and do you know about the mon? 1000 bonus points to anyone who can tell us what the expression "nisoku, sanmon" signifies.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing