What do you think is up with this?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: What do you think is up with this?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 14, 2011 7:47 am

There is a website somewhere that claims that use of the card to buy the US Mint coins consists of a cash withdrawal and you are charged a fee. That not only doesn't make sense, but I can verify that is not correct from actual use.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Crescendo » Sat May 14, 2011 10:38 am

OtusLotus wrote:CTR? Cash transaction?

Currency Transaction Report. NOT to be confused with a STR, Suspicious Transaction Report.

One is fine. The other will serious screw you over.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am

I've probably racked up a hoard of those STR's. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Number21 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:59 am

Isn't it technically illegal to send cash through the USPS?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 15, 2011 3:13 am

Number21 wrote:Isn't it technically illegal to send cash through the USPS?

The times I have ordered from the mint they shipped by Fedex. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 15, 2011 7:58 am

The mint (or their contractor) sends the presidental coins via USPS.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 am

68Camaro wrote:The mint (or their contractor) sends the presidental coins via USPS.

I went back and look at my last order of Presidential and they started on Fedex and then to USPS.
From-- https://answers.usmint.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/147/kw/fedex/session/L3NpZC9ia0NZZip0aw%3D%3D
STANDARD SHIPPING OPTION

Orders being shipped by the standard shipping method are sent via FedEx Smart Post (ground), which uses the United States Postal Service (USPS) for final delivery.

Click on photo for full view.
mail.jpg
mail.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 290 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 am

Fascinating (though not surprising) that they use a non-governmental contractor FedEx for the long distance moving... Or maybe rather, ingenious of FedEx that they make use of the monopoly that the USPS has on post office boxes.
68Camaro

Postby gojomoso » Sun May 15, 2011 10:14 am

68Camaro wrote:Fascinating (though not surprising) that they use a non-governmental contractor FedEx for the long distance moving... Or maybe rather, ingenious of FedEx that they make use of the monopoly that the USPS has on post office boxes.

both fedex and ups do it all the time with smaller boxes, ups also has something call "Mail innovations" where they ship, then bring it to the post office for final delivery... dont use it, it took 4 weeks for my package to arrive, after the tracking said it had been accepted :shock:
but it is smart for them to use the USPS' monopoly of mailboxes
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Gobirds » Sun May 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Some of the early ones were missing the text that is normally stamped into the coins' edge. I understand that those are quite valuable. I learned this AFTER handing out a couple rolls of them as change at a small airport gift store I operated briefly.

Yep, that is what it is. He is looking for the errors on the rims. I'll stick to copper!
Gobirds

Postby Number21 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:34 pm

68Camaro wrote:Fascinating (though not surprising) that they use a non-governmental contractor FedEx for the long distance moving...

And they're simply admitting that the private company can do a better/cheaper job than the government run company. What a surprise... :roll:

I'm curious though now...is it legal to mail flat rate boxes full of pennies? It is "illegal" to mail "cash" through the postal service, isn't it?
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 am

Roadrunner wrote:Melt Value = ~$700

:lol:

FAIL.

They look like gold! WINNING!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 am

Number21 wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Fascinating (though not surprising) that they use a non-governmental contractor FedEx for the long distance moving...

And they're simply admitting that the private company can do a better/cheaper job than the government run company. What a surprise... :roll:

I'm curious though now...is it legal to mail flat rate boxes full of pennies? It is "illegal" to mail "cash" through the postal service, isn't it?

Technically, I believe it is illegal, but no one ever enforces it. I once got a package that got all wet so the box rotted through, but the pennies were still in plastic bags so everything got here. The pennies were easily visible because parts of the box had fallen apart. The postal carrier knew EXACTLY what was in it and didn't bat an eye. :D
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Number21 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Coins seem to be thought of a bit differently than "cash" I guess...the $50 bags I get my pennies in say "DO NOT ENCLOSE CURRENCY" on the top. They're bank bags...designed for currency! :lol:
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing