Post Your Hoarding Milestones Here

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Post Your Hoarding Milestones Here

Postby WileE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks Misteroman. I guess I was not clear. I just did a final sort on a pile that had accumulated since around Christmas to eliminate any zincs that got by me on the first run. I then weigh my coppers into $20 boxes and tape them up. That batch took me over the ton!
I also have $100 FV that I purchased :roll:
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Common Cents » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Congrats on your entry into the ton club, Wile. I'm well past the halfway point to that goal, and hope to join that elite rank sometime soon. Good luck on your quest to become a penny millionaire!
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bseballdude11 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Now don't fall of your chair anyone. Im a nineteen year old whose been doing this for a month and I have 25 dollars face value in CU. All hand sorted.
bseballdude11

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 am

I passed the ton mark back in November. I am all in for sorting for silver, for now. I might be back for cents... :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coinage » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Well I think this is an accomplishment for myself since I recently started sorting. I just finished my first $25 face value. Rerolled and threw them in a $25 penny box, looks almost as neat as when they were first picked up from the bank, pre sorted. I have come to realize I might have some form of penny OCD. I sorted out all the ugly abes and all the double die dates and WAMs to go through later as well.
Coinage

Postby drummermatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm pretty new to the game, just started about a month ago and am a hand sorter (so far). I just finished my very first 5 gallon bucket (~200lbs) a few days ago.
drummermatt

Postby dannan14 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:36 pm

drummermatt wrote:I'm pretty new to the game, just started about a month ago and am a hand sorter (so far). I just finished my very first 5 gallon bucket (~200lbs) a few days ago.

A 5 gallon bucket of zincs? Or are you saying that you hand-sorted 200lbs of copper in one month?
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:01 am

Yeah - at my rates, low 20s,that's not small time. Unless you're Canadian with 40+% yield. For me that would be 1600 face of mixed to sort, which I'm lucky to do in 2 months, with a Ryedale. That's some serious time invested.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

goldteam wrote:I filled a 55 gallon last summer. It is impossible to move. I bought the ryedale and have been really going at it.

I then decided to screw that and put them in ice cream buckets. I have since filled 11 ice cream buckets.

I have never sold any. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing. If I get 50 gallons of copper, I want 100. Once I get to 100, I will want 200. If I get to 200 I will want 300. Do I need help?

No, it sounds like your doing a good job by yourself. :D
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Numis Pam » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 am

I just reached my first goal of $500.00 face, so now I have had to set a new goal of $1,000 face. Not a clue how long that will take me for sure. I am a handsorter for now, but hope to be upgrading soon to a machine when I get moved to a new house with a really cool secret storage room! :-) ;0)
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:25 pm

My latest sorting milestone: My RYEDALE should be here this week!
I have been buying whatever cents I can get at my local banks, in anticipation of keeping it fed as long as I can. I think if I cut my hair and trimmed my beard, I might have a little better luck with all those wary tellers!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby drummermatt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 am

dannan14 wrote:
drummermatt wrote:I'm pretty new to the game, just started about a month ago and am a hand sorter (so far). I just finished my very first 5 gallon bucket (~200lbs) a few days ago.

A 5 gallon bucket of zincs? Or are you saying that you hand-sorted 200lbs of copper in one month?

Sorry, I should have been more specific that yes I hand-sorted 200lbs of copper in one month :) If I am feeling up to it, I can do three boxes by hand in a day and that takes about 2 1/2 hrs. I timed my "record" so far of hand-sorting one complete box in 41 minutes, woo-hoo!

However, it does become quite a strain on the eyes (and back) to keep up this pace, so I am eyeing a Ryedale after tax return time. Basically I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do at least one bucket on my own, and would stick to it, before investing in a Ryedale. Having done that, I definitely have the bug :)
drummermatt

Postby dannan14 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:13 pm

drummermatt wrote:
dannan14 wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific that yes I hand-sorted 200lbs of copper in one month :) If I am feeling up to it, I can do three boxes by hand in a day and that takes about 2 1/2 hrs. I timed my "record" so far of hand-sorting one complete box in 41 minutes, woo-hoo!

However, it does become quite a strain on the eyes (and back) to keep up this pace, so I am eyeing a Ryedale after tax return time. Basically I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do at least one bucket on my own, and would stick to it, before investing in a Ryedale. Having done that, I definitely have the bug :)

Wow, you inspire me man!
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby robroy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Okay, I've sorted over 170,000 ($1,700) and have almost $400 FV set aside. But I do have a question for all those who have mega pounds socked away. Have any of you seen any reduction in the %ages you glean from box to box. When I started I was getting 40% now I'm in the low 20's. I'm just curious that's all.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:15 pm

just passed $75 FV here. started just around Xmas. 28% average.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby everything » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:56 am

Nearing $1000 FV. I'm also totally impressed with the gent who hand sorted $200 FV in a month!, that's motivation.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby drummermatt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 pm

everything wrote:Nearing $1000 FV. I'm also totally impressed with the gent who hand sorted $200 FV in a month!, that's motivation.

Thanks ... although until I get the Ryedale I might be slowing down just a bit, as I have started another project - gutting our den room and rebuilding it. So now I'll be splitting time between two important endeavors!
drummermatt

Postby tractorman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm

drummermatt wrote:
everything wrote:Nearing $1000 FV. I'm also totally impressed with the gent who hand sorted $200 FV in a month!, that's motivation.

Thanks ... although until I get the Ryedale I might be slowing down just a bit, as I have started another project - gutting our den room and rebuilding it. So now I'll be splitting time between two important endeavors!

Man Cave? :mrgreen:
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby maoguinn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I am a small time hand sorter. Just passed $60 fv.
maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby baggerman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 pm

2500 wheaties
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby getdong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:28 am

FInally filled my first culligan water jug I think 5 gallons. Pretty proud of myself for that
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Ecotic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:33 am

I'm just ending my second month into the hobby. I've got this massive tub halfway filled up. I'm not sure how much it is. 1,000+ pounds maybe?

Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Ecotic wrote:I'm just ending my second month into the hobby. I've got this massive tub halfway filled up. I'm not sure how much it is. 1,000+ pounds maybe?

Sweet!!!!! But uhmmmm,,, how u gonna pick it up??? lol :lol:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm

I have mine in a tub also...its pretty much unmovable and unweighable...im gonna guess its between 4-500lbs...i guess i should start sorting them into smaller containers so they are easier to move and also easier to calculate the ammount i have.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I just passed the $1000 milestone. I did buy a CTU from HCBTT a few months ago but the rest is all hand sorted.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing