The Price of Copper Just Went Up

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: The Price of Copper Just Went Up

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:52 pm

24 boxes. Sheesh. Tell you what - I had $300 (12 boxes) face on a heavy-duty dolly the other day and it would hardly move! Those were pure copper, so a bit heavier than the mixed zincs, but still.... 24 is no small weight.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby adagirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Number21 wrote:It's the "no fees" part I find very interesting. I can't find a free personal account anywhere local unless I have a massive amount of cash to deposit. Do you know what banks offer free business checking accounts?

I hear ya. I have my free checking, "no fees" account through BB&T. They had a number of options available all with fees, and they really tried to push me into getting one of these accounts. I stuck to my guns and reminded them that I am a small business, or microsmall business if you will. So I was able to get an account with no fees. Now if I were to exceed a number of deposits or checks per month they would charge me a fee, but I just do not know have that many deposits or checks to write...so I have a free commerical account. Shop around. Play hard ball if you have to, and remind them that you are such a small business that you can not afford fees. I was quick to point out that there are 4 other banks on this street and I could just go check with them if the best they could do was a minimum deposit plus fees. It will likely vary by region, but play hard ball. Even though they might say they have no commerical accounts without fees, I found that talking with them respectfully, telling them that I was just starting out and I could not afford fees got me a no fee account. Give it a try. I will be interested in your progress. Remember though, they will most likely want to see your business license, which does cost money. ;)
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I am enjoying this thread. Hopefully I helped out when it comes to commerical accounts with no fees. Now I have a question.....this noobie novice just learned it is not so odd to go strolling into the bank lobby with a dolley to cart of my pennies, now I need some advice: 1) coin counting machines to count the zincs, does anyone have a recommendation as to a model they like? and 2) do any of you look for the error pennies? I have about $400 in zincs that I want to return but I would like to search for the errors, but boy what a tedious, time consuming task. Does anyone on here search for errors before returning the zinc? If so are there any recommendations on how to speed up the process? I have only been looking for the higher dollar errors but it is still tedious. Thanks for any help! :)
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

adagirl wrote:I am enjoying this thread. Hopefully I helped out when it comes to commerical accounts with no fees. Now I have a question.....this noobie novice just learned it is not so odd to go strolling into the bank lobby with a dolley to cart of my pennies, now I need some advice: 1) coin counting machines to count the zincs, does anyone have a recommendation as to a model they like? and 2) do any of you look for the error pennies? I have about $400 in zincs that I want to return but I would like to search for the errors, but boy what a tedious, time consuming task. Does anyone on here search for errors before returning the zinc? If so are there any recommendations on how to speed up the process? I have only been looking for the higher dollar errors but it is still tedious. Thanks for any help! :)

Hand-sorters take the time to look for errors. The whole point of buying a Ryedale is to speed things up as we don't want to devote the time it requires to handsort. Machine owners are looking to churn high volumes of coins, either to stockpile themselves, to resell, or a combination of both. That doesn't leave much time for examining them for errors. If you wanted to do anything... what about if you determined the year with the greatest likelihood of producing a valuable error, and then just set those aside as you noticed that year and then later look at them at your leisure? I don't look for errors, but there are some members who claim a pretty hefty profit from finding and selling the wide A M 1982 (I think that was the year).
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby adagirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:48 pm

beauanderos wrote:
adagirl wrote:I am enjoying this thread. Hopefully I helped out when it comes to commerical accounts with no fees. Now I have a question.....this noobie novice just learned it is not so odd to go strolling into the bank lobby with a dolley to cart of my pennies, now I need some advice: 1) coin counting machines to count the zincs, does anyone have a recommendation as to a model they like? and 2) do any of you look for the error pennies? I have about $400 in zincs that I want to return but I would like to search for the errors, but boy what a tedious, time consuming task. Does anyone on here search for errors before returning the zinc? If so are there any recommendations on how to speed up the process? I have only been looking for the higher dollar errors but it is still tedious. Thanks for any help! :)

Hand-sorters take the time to look for errors. The whole point of buying a Ryedale is to speed things up as we don't want to devote the time it requires to handsort. Machine owners are looking to churn high volumes of coins, either to stockpile themselves, to resell, or a combination of both. That doesn't leave much time for examining them for errors. If you wanted to do anything... what about if you determined the year with the greatest likelihood of producing a valuable error, and then just set those aside as you noticed that year and then later look at them at your leisure? I don't look for errors, but there are some members who claim a pretty hefty profit from finding and selling the wide A M 1982 (I think that was the year).

Thanks for the advice. The dilemma of course is one has soooo many zincs and you want to return them ASAP to sort for more Cu with the Ryedale; however, there are some zincs worth 15 K which of course would take a lot of Cu sorting to make 15,000. It is just so time consuming. I think I will try your advice, search for the big money zinc and move on unless others have sage advice.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby gojomoso » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:47 pm

seems like there have been more problems with source/dump banks... maybe its starting to be to many people??
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing