Bucket Failure

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Bucket Failure

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 pm

cesariojpn wrote:S&H is usually the factor in those ammo cans. The smallest can is a good $6-$8 postage.....at the Parcel Post rate. You could fit the two smallest cans out there in a medium flate rate box, but that instantly makes the cost extremely prohibitive.....it's an easy 100-175% markup on the cans original price in many cases.

Sure, if bought individually, but if bought by the case of (whatever number) the unit shipping cost goes way down.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:00 pm

68Camaro wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:S&H is usually the factor in those ammo cans. The smallest can is a good $6-$8 postage.....at the Parcel Post rate. You could fit the two smallest cans out there in a medium flate rate box, but that instantly makes the cost extremely prohibitive.....it's an easy 100-175% markup on the cans original price in many cases.

Sure, if bought individually, but if bought by the case of (whatever number) the unit shipping cost goes way down.

Well, thats one factor that needs to be imputed in. Some people want maybe 1-5 cans, some might need a whole pallet full....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 am

Cheaper Than Dirt usually has good prices on ammo cans - it is just the shipping that makes them expensive to buy.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:13 am

Just wait for a gun show to come to town or find a local army surplus show to get around the shipping associated with ammo cans.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby horgad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 pm

I got through inspecting and moving every bucket and it seems that all buckets are not made equally. There is one type of bucket where 14 out of 17 had the bottoms rip out and one type of bucket where 1 out of 2 completly split and collapsed. Then there is another type of bucket that had 0 failures out of 11. I'm too lazy to post picks, but the thing to look at is the bottoms. The type that failed has a small circle around the center of the bottom that is meant to support the bottom when it is sitting around. The type that didn't fail has that same support circle PLUS bottom support fins going around the inside of the bottom rim.

Someone mentioned using plywood between buckets. I think that is a very good idea as it helps keep the bottoms from sagging. However I don't think it would have prevented the failures of the weak bottomed buckets. I had some sitting on cement that failed. (They may have failed when I tried to move them as opposed to failing just sitting there...beats me.)

Lastly the one that failed completely and split down the sides was an all around lighter bucket and never should have been used (my fault).

Anyhow, I am still going to move everything to steel. For all I know, the stronger buckets will start failing too in a few years...
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 pm

I acquired a nice 55 gallon very thick plastic barrel today. In the next few weeks when I finish off my 12 5gal, they are all going into the plastic barrel, and being stored out of the way in a nice, dry place. Then I'll take a break and sort another ton starting at the beginning of the year. I think a goal of one ton a year is both a large amount and very doable. The cost of the coppers (+/-$250/month) adds up and once a ton is acquired during the year, that cash can go to other fun investments.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 am

I'd like to find one of these sales closer to home:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... vertTo=USD
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing