Has the Copper crash affected your sorting?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Has the Copper crash affected your sorting?

Postby Morsecode » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 am

What's market price mean?

Can't be tied to spot or a CTU would have been trading for $275 @ $4.40 cu. There was no significant price change up or down from the mid-$100's over the past year, despite spot swings.

Sorters are firstly paid according to time value of their effort, and secondly, the minimal downside risk to the buyer. Current spot is a distant third.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brexzz1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 am

So are you trying to tell me that if copper were to go back to $1.10 pound like it was back in just Feb 09 that people would still pay $150 for a CTU?? Just because it took time for the seller to sort the 10,000 coins? I say NOT A CHANCE.
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 am

I say I have seen it before. A lot of members here complain that they can't get melt value for their copper. When copper gets low enough the sorted copper pennies actually sell for a premium over melt. When copper cents are below face value.. they still sell at a premium.. but the marketing approach differs. Of course the lower copper price does tend to drive some sellers out of the market. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Morsecode » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 pm

That was my point. Not many will let it go cheap, and herds of them will yank their sales. The market would be determined by those stubborn, smart sellers who willl continue to list at their price. You could, I suppose, find someone local on craigslist desperate enough for whatever reason to undercut because of no shipping, but they could do that today. I don't see the deals.

If copper goes to $1.10 lb, I'll forge refinance documents on my 86 year-old mother's house to buy it all at $110/$120 CTU. There just won't be that many to buy at that price.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Thinking that I could find some bargains on eBay after the copper drop, I was a little surprised..but not disappointed. The price of coppers seemed to be unaffected by the drop. Instead, it seems to just be rising very, very slowly since I started watching. Which is how I hope it continues!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby mongo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I for one wont let it slow me down one bit. I believe it will go back up in time. The question is how much time?

Sort on
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm

mongo wrote:I for one wont let it slow me down one bit. I believe it will go back up in time. The question is how much time?

Sort on

Right on, I continue to sort and stack. I'm not concerned about the spot price right now. This is a long-term venture
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Same here. I am continuing operations just like when copper was over $4. In fact I am trying to refine my process so that I can sort even more. Not interested in the current spot price, my cost is still fixed at 100 coppers per dollar.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:Thinking that I could find some bargains on eBay after the copper drop, I was a little surprised..but not disappointed. The price of coppers seemed to be unaffected by the drop. Instead, it seems to just be rising very, very slowly since I started watching. Which is how I hope it continues!

There probably won't be many bargains on eBay. You have to remember that with the huge eBay and PayPal bite.. plus them charging FV fees on the shipping.. that sellers have to build that into the cost. This is why you will pretty much always find copper cheaper here from other members than you will on eBay. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

You just have to factor in your time over reward. The time it takes to dump them, the time it takes to sort them, all add up
1badmf

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing