Tonights find... my BEST FIND EVER - 1914-D XF-AU?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Tonights find... my BEST FIND EVER - 1914-D XF-AU?

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:34 am

Nothing is going on with this coin, it is sitting on my desk at the SortHQ. I have been tinkering with cleaning similar non-numi cents. I dug around and found some commons of similar age/color/and grunge to experiment with. Acetone soaks are not removing this light green stuff from around the edges of Lincoln, the date, etc.

I tried some multiple-day soaks as well and the stuff still does not come off. I did notice that the sheen of the coin changes after a couple days in acetone (long soak). They now look a little shinier than the non-soaked "reference coins" - Extended soak coins have a sort of laminated look (yes, it is clean pure acetone) Just a slight change, but nothing I would dare subject the 1914-D to.

I even tried a gentle rub with a few different things - toothbrush - acetone soaked rag. These contaminants still stick. A harder rub removed some, but not all. And at that point evidence of my dickering was obvious. And even if they did come off with just a gentle rub, I would not dare to rub the 1914-D in any way. I was just curious what it would take to get this crap off.

So bottom line is that I am pretty busy and I need find some spare time to figure out how to safely spruce this up before sending it out. More suggestions would be appreciated! Does anyone on here know of a coin restoration professional? Well, that sounds expensive... I don't want to get too carried away.

SORT ON!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 am

NHsorter, you do as you please of course, but if that was my coin, I would just let it be. That's a
pretty cent you have there. Congratulations! :)
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:NHsorter, you do as you please of course, but if that was my coin, I would just let it be. That's a
pretty cent you have there. Congratulations! :)

I appreciate the input. I am a big time noob when it comes to the world of numi stuff and I value everyone opinions here. RealCent has really helped me cash in on a few things this year (ahem, docs tip on the 25th anniv sets) and I am truly grateful to you all.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Sounds like a lot of headache......you should just trade it for silver or cash to your bud in WV.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby mnymgr1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:15 pm

nh, late to the party here but from what my lcs says, never ever clean a numi coin of any kind.
period.
take it to your favorite lcs', get some pricing on it, and either take an offer or put the coin away for a few years.
personally, i'd take the money and buy silver. But that's my thing.

good luck. Now that I know 1909, 1914 and 1931 are important years, about time I go thru my 300-500 or so wheaties and find some.
I also have 7 IH's, hope they have some value too (above a buck each :| )
mnymgr1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 pm

NH, I'm here to help. I am an authorized dealer for NGC and PCGS. NGC offers a service (NCS) which is for the conservation of coins. If you would like to send the coin to me, I will have it go through the conservation process and then professionally graded by NGC. I do not know the total cost, but I can pretty much assure you that it will be less than the retail value of your 14-D. This way, you know that everything that could be done professionally to the coin without damaging it has been done, and then you will get a professional's opinion of the grade. It will then be a great additional to your collection, and an asset for the future. If this is something that you would like to do, then please contact me and we'll go through the whole process.

ps. This may take more than 2 months, and you will have to submit the coin to me, and then I will have to submit the coin to NGC, who will send it back to you. I'm only the guy to facilitate the process. And you will have to put money (but no time, and risky practices) into the coin.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby penny pretty » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:10 pm

why would anyone make a fake and put it in circulation? just askin...
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing