SINKING YOUR OWN SHIP!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: SINKING YOUR OWN SHIP!

Postby newton7 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 pm

The sky did not fall when this other story came out in 2008.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/your- ... two-earned

Even my Yahoo site dropped it after a couple of hours on Sunday for other more important stuff.

I was worried at first but I bet it will all be fine.

Just my 2 cents.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 pm

It's too bad this thread went in the direction it did.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:46 pm

After reading more.....I think Adam deserves an apology. I took the original post as a personal attack. I, myself, would love to be in Adam's shoes. Am I Jealous? YES! But I am a free thinker and not a group thinker. And, a few more post might get you a little respect.

CAGE MATCH!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Troll/Hater/Call out Thread...
If you want to express your views, do them w/o coming off as a jerk,
Also, the answer it to keep sorting. The more you sort, the more copper you find to flip quick or to hold. This story airing made me proud to sort and want to just sell if there are more buyers!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Chief wrote:Troll/Hater/Call out Thread...
If you want to express your views, do them w/o coming off as a jerk,
Also, the answer it to keep sorting. The more you sort, the more copper you find to flip quick or to hold. This story airing made me proud to sort and want to just sell if there are more buyers!

Exactly......I couldn't show the video to my girlfriend fast enough!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Don't fill up your ship with too much copper, you could sink!
hobo finds

Postby CU Baker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Because this is off track, I will too. Just picked out an AR conterstamped cent while flipping a few coppers. :lol:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

While I disagree with the original poster about this story being bad for the penny sorters I do agree that I would not go on TV and tell people about how much money I have in my shed.... :o
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXTim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I'll make the odds for the Vegas boys.
10:1 in Scotty's favor on the cage match.
Scotty is a big boy who makes his living on oil rigs.
Lay your bets now kids!!! :D :D :D
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

bman wrote:Opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

While I disagree with the original poster about this story being bad for the penny sorters I do agree that I would not go on TV and tell people about how much money I have in my shed.... :o

I got a feeling that Joe has the situation taken care of. We all saw the shed....but not the rest of his spread. For all we know he lives in a highly secure gated community! Either way, no sex or violence and nobody pays attention.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

bman wrote:Opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

Please don't tell me you have skid marks on your undies.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:43 pm

cesariojpn wrote:Please don't tell me you have skid marks on your undies.

OK...I won't tell you :oops:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Andrew Jackson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm

:lol:
The drama continues, listen I am sorry highroller and others are offended by my opinion! But I am entitled to it, plain and simple. If you don't like it,it does not change my day. I am quite taken back by some of the mob rules mentality of some though. It kinda reminds me of school yard politics, or the current political landscape for that matter. Anyhow the 1st amendment is part of what makes this country great. And it also protects the group-thinkers but does not make there opinion absolute. As far as the cage match, the bigger they are the harder they fall. I would be much more inclined to participate in an IQ test match, or something similar. Have you actually read your comments, some make no sense whatsoever. But I find them personally entertaining just the same.
Andrew Jackson

Postby hammerrob » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't see how you keep a lid on this story. Every year that copper stays at historically high prices ... every year that the government continues to debase the currency ... people are going to recognize that copper pennies are a no-brainer investment. The greater the perceived opportunity, the more people are likely to talk about it, the more likely it is to become newsworthy. The story will get told.

Having said all that, there's significant barriers that make me not at all worried for my sorting future:

1) To get in the game you have to be willing to acquire pennies, sort, and dump the zincs ... rinse, repeat ... continuously
2) The melt ban seems like a big obstacle (I personally don't think it's a huge deal, but it does complicate the story)
3) Storage ... $10,000 face means you are holding 1 million pennies

Happy Sorting, Rob
hammerrob
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Andrew Jackson wrote::lol:
The drama continues, listen I am sorry highroller and others are offended by my opinion! But I am entitled to it, plain and simple. If you don't like it,it does not change my day. I am quite taken back by some of the mob rules mentality of some though. It kinda reminds me of school yard politics, or the current political landscape for that matter. Anyhow the 1st amendment is part of what makes this country great. And it also protects the group-thinkers but does not make there opinion absolute. As far as the cage match, the bigger they are the harder they fall. I would be much more inclined to participate in an IQ test match, or something similar. Have you actually read your comments, some make no sense whatsoever. But I find them personally entertaining just the same.

As for the cage match.....it would be GREAT....admission only in copper cents!

Your opinion is OK.....your delivery is the issue. Best of luck in your copper searches.

Peace!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby slickeast » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I look at it as a debate.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby palmvtree » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Wow!! I stopped reading realcent posts recently and offering any discussion after Mr Jackson "expressed his views" earlier this month on an earlier post. Then I saw the article online about the TV spot and got pulled back in to see what everyone is discussing today. Then the first article I read is this opinion filled article from guess who. I get that people should be entiltled to an opinion and freedom of speech and blah blah blah but I read realcent posts for real ideas and suggestions about coins, not your hate speech against others suggestions and ideas and how it may impact your bottom line. So, its been a pleaure knowing everyone here, but this crap by Mr. Jack-ass-on is not what I sign on to read weekly. Take your presidential drama to the comment section of yahoo articles so people can dislike you there. A huge thank you for all the info over the years to everyone else who was willing to share actual content with everyone who reads... but having to read this BS lately is no longer enjoyable for me! Good luck to the true real centers out there.
palmvtree

Postby tractorman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 pm

palmvtree wrote:Wow!! I stopped reading realcent posts recently and offering any discussion after Mr Jackson "expressed his views" earlier this month on an earlier post. Then I saw the article online about the TV spot and got pulled back in to see what everyone is discussing today. Then the first article I read is this opinion filled article from guess who. I get that people should be entiltled to an opinion and freedom of speech and blah blah blah but I read realcent posts for real ideas and suggestions about coins, not your hate speech against others suggestions and ideas and how it may impact your bottom line. So, its been a pleaure knowing everyone here, but this crap by Mr. Jack-ass-on is not what I sign on to read weekly. Take your presidential drama to the comment section of yahoo articles so people can dislike you there. A huge thank you for all the info over the years to everyone else who was willing to share actual content with everyone who reads... but having to read this BS lately is no longer enjoyable for me! Good luck to the true real centers out there.

I'm sorry to hear that palmvtree. AJ just posts the same drivel over and over again. I find it amusing, but I can see where you would get tired of it.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm

hammerrob wrote:I don't see how you keep a lid on this story.

Because it's more "sexier" to a reporter to show copper thefts at a church or a park or a school and blame it on the druggies than show some middle-aged guy sorting pennies in his garage acting like a hermit.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:28 pm

OK, how many times have you called us group-thinkers? You come here ... again ... to post the same insulting crapola. :roll: You remind me of the time a drunk came over to my group at a bar. He babbled some sh*t to a friend of mine, a small guy with very long hair from Brazil. My friend didn't even understand what he said. I climbed over the table after him, but I was too late as another friend already had him half way to the door before I made the trip. The difference is the drunk knew better than to come back inside after that. We can't do that here so we just let you know how we feel through text. A comparison of brains? Its easy enough to compare academic achievements/intelligence-related achievements. But intelligence has nothing to do with what we are talking about now does it?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 pm

tractorman wrote:A comparison of brains? Its easy enough to compare academic achievements/intelligence-related achievements. But intelligence has nothing to do with what we are talking about now does it?

That being said ... I'm up for it if you are. I'm SURE I'm not the most intelligent person on this site, or even in this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

Round 1 ...

Me: High school valedictorian.

Your turn.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Andrew Jackson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 pm

:lol:
MR Palmvtree and friends, your statement is a perfect example of the Orwellian nightmare that I am trying to point out. In your attempt to communicate like an adult you have displayed a much higher degree of insidious comments than one would expect while supposedly countering the current discussion. Do you realize the term hate speech is directly out of George Orwell's 1984." We should put this on yahoo so they can hate you there as well" that is double speak who's the hater me or you. I keep reading my dramatized viewpoint and crack up laughing before I finish, it was ment to be funny and make a point at the same time. You sound like a spoiled child. I'm not reading Realcent because of Andrew Jackson. Grow up, and quit your whining
Andrew Jackson

Postby tractorman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Come on, the smart comparison was your idea ... don't p*ssy out.

Did you know ... Andrew Jackson detested the idea of paper money ... and they put his picture on a paper note!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Crescendo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

A market is either growing or shrinking. Markets rarely, if ever, actually hold still. A market has both sellers and buyers. Without both, the market collapses into chaos.

If highroller and friends make the market expand then that means there will be an increase in both sellers and buyers (how many of each is of course unknown). So more competition will enter the market.

Many people say that competition is sin.

However, my grandfather who was a very wise man and has unfortunately passed away when I was too young to know better to ask him to teach me from his experiences always said, "Competition is good and makes money." Advertising for your competitor means advertising for you. More customers shopping at your competitor means more customers shopping with you. More competitors means more customers. And in this particular market, historical trends suggest this means a price increase. This is because it is labor intensive for sellers to increase at a proportionate level to buyers and is highly unlikely (though possible).

If you buy, yes, that stinks. But then again, the ability to still buy is an important factor here. Anyone entering the copper penny sorting world now is going to be behind people already doing it like anything in life. It's not always about what you do to get rich, but what opportunities you take advantage of that pass you by. A news opportunity came up to spread the word on something many people here feel very passionate about. I for one love seeing people getting excited about copper pennies and other rare coins. You should see me when I find all sorts of goodies.

Bank fees will happen with news coverage or not. Government regulation changes too. Trust me, they know what they're doing. The government losing money making the penny means that the Federal Reserve (nasty little corporation) is making money and profiting off the taxpayers. They'll focus on taking advantage of that as long as possible regardless of the cost of the penny (government debt = good for them).

Regardless, I for one am very thankful for what everyone here brings to the copper penny community. I don't post very often. But I do stop by to read and find many valuable statements made. People really focus on helping each other here and when it comes down to it, are quite friendly.

I suppose I'm rambling on here when I could have just said: Hey guys, congratulations on making news, making copper pennies cooler, and making doubters take a moment to scratch their head and rethink things over. That's awesome of you to take the time to do.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Verbane » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

MR Palmvtree and friends, your statement is a perfect example of the Orwellian nightmare that I am trying to point out. In your attempt to communicate like an adult you have displayed a much higher degree of insidious comments than one would expect while supposedly countering the current discussion. Do you realize the term hate speech is directly out of George Orwell's 1984." We should put this on yahoo so they can hate you there as well" that is double speak who's the hater me or you. I keep reading my dramatized viewpoint and crack up laughing before I finish, it was ment to be funny and make a point at the same time. You sound like a spoiled child. I'm not reading Realcent because of Andrew Jackson. Grow up, and quit your whining

AJ, Please elaborate.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing