HOLY GRAIL 1909-S VDB FOUND!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: HOLY GRAIL 1909-S VDB FOUND!!!

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 am

How would you feel about having major surgery done by a greenhorn straight out of medical school? Want that guy or girl jousting around your organs without ever having done it before?

Others have already said it. If you want to become a restoration pro, make your mistakes on low value items, not high ticket ones.

First things first, decide what you want to do with the coin. Keep it, sell it, give it to me, etc. Then go from there.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby jacer333 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Good analogy...and that is how I feel, I don't feel comfortable messing around with the coin myself. I think I'll just tuck it away in my safety deposit box for now and see how I feel down the road...
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 pm

jacer333 wrote:Good analogy...and that is how I feel, I don't feel comfortable messing around with the coin myself. I think I'll just tuck it away in my safety deposit box for now and see how I feel down the road...

I found a nice 1914D a few months back and I feel the same way that you do as well. I just can't make up my mind on what to do. It's just sitting up on the shelf in a 2x2 and I gaze at it as my Ryedale chugs away :D I need to either send it to PCGS or just lock it up until I can decide.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I know it could be tempting to think you will mess it up but I am telling you there is nothing that acetone will do to hurt it. As long as you soak it and dont let it dry on the coin you will be ok. heck i konw people who even let it dry and it was still fine. Wash it off with warm water and the gunk will come off. Try a regular penny and see how easy it is.. This is my 26-s before it got an acetone bath.

Notice all the verdigris on the coin. Its green

And this is it after it come back from PCGS. Mind you I sold this for 2600.00 This coin was worth almost 3 times what your VDB is worth Image

i had one guy try to buy it from me for 200 bucks after he told me it was ms-63 grade. this coin in 63 is a thousand plus. He then insisted it would not grade b.c of the verdigris on it. Well Either he was wrong or Pcgs is and I pick him. Remember All i did was soak in acetone and wash off with warm water. Did nothing special and was not qualified to do so.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm

jacer333 wrote:Good analogy...and that is how I feel, I don't feel comfortable messing around with the coin myself. I think I'll just tuck it away in my safety deposit box for now and see how I feel down the road...

That would be a wise idea. Nothing wrong with declaring victory at this point. Tuck it away and decide later.

You may want to consider slabbing it with PCGS or NGC while you hold it. To me, it would be worth the money to know A) you have a third party say it's the real deal and you can sleep without wondering B) the plastic case will protect it from mishandling, C) you can unload it faster if you so choose to in the future. D) You can always crack it out later to do something else with it. But I wouldn't blame you at all for holding onto and decide later.

That's just me though, your problem so you have to make the call. Good problem to have though. ;)

Also, when it comes to acetone, it should come with a "Your mileage may vary" sticker. I've seen it do great things, I've also seen coins that were better before coming into contact with it. :|
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Numis Pam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 am

Jacer333, what did you end up doing with this coin????
Please give us an update!! :D
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 am

As far as all the discussion on acetone goes, I would say that the best thing there is for applications like this is VerdiCare. Just Google it if you haven't heard of it, it should come up.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby J_Dodge » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 am

Congrats! What a find.

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Postby FatherRosado » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 pm

mnymgr1 wrote:curious what you guys think this new vdb coin is worth ??

also someone mentioned he bought his kid a vdb, nice and shiny pic....may I ask, how much did that cost ? Looks like it would have been a hefty price tag

congrats on your find. I'm trying to find the thread here about mentioning other indian head finds during sorting, I'll keep looking. Found more yesterday.

It all depends on condition. One sold yesterday for $798. The best place to look is eBay. search for what you want then click on completed listings. You'll get to see what sold and what did not. That is the most accurate way to find the prices of things today. Here is the link for the search you requested http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-US-/253/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1909+s+vdb&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dirty fingers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I hope to be this lucky some day. I have found 3 1909 but no 09s and none of the elusive 09s-VDB's i know they are out there, and it really is a numbers game (and a game of luck).
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jacer333 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Sorry for the delay, been quite busy and away from my pennies as I have transitioned into medical school. I sure do miss the days of kicking back and sorting a couple boxes, wish I still had the time :)

Anyways, I have the coin safely resting in my safety deposit box. I thought about getting it graded this summer but never got motivated to get that done. There is just a special amount of attachment I feel to the coin since I found it raw in the wild, don't know if I will ever bring myself to part with it!

Happy hunting all, hope one of the gang here can be the next to uncover one :)
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm

jacer333 wrote:Happy hunting all, hope one of the gang here can be the next to uncover one :)

I will volunteer for this task. Shoot, I would settle for finding any of the coins I have left on my Lincoln or Indian list!!!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing