everyone thinks i'm nuts for hoarding pennies!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

everyone thinks i'm nuts for hoarding pennies!

Postby s3p2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Does anyone else get this? Anytime I mention the copper value and idea of penny hoarding, about halfway into it I notice they think I am either crazy or financially desperate. My kids are into it. I just want to make sure they understand the value (or potential value) and don't dump them aall in a coinstar when im dead.
s3p2

Re: everyone thinks i'm nuts for hoarding pennies!

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:10 pm

We all have seen that look before when we talk about saving copper.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I get that look when I talk about most topics.

I think a couple guys were kind of impressed when I showed off my Ryedale, told them about the copper numbers, and mentioned that I made more selling them on Ebay through the summer than I make as a substitute teacher.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby appjoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 pm

You are nuts, I'm nuts. But isn't it a lot of fun being nuts. I wish I was nuts in 1965 and pulled all the silver out of boxes then. Have fun we will have the last laugh.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby s3p2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Its soooo addictive. Im going nuts here because I have no pennies to sort this weekend.
s3p2

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:21 pm

I hear it from my wife everyday.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:26 pm

My wife thought I was losing it too. But tonight, the story on Nightline highlighting copper sorting and realcent airs. Once I told her, she was like, "Well, that will only make it harder for you to find copper, is that what you want?"

I see her point, but think there is still lots of it out there, but I do wonder if more sorters will turn up locally and diminish my roughly 20% average find rate?

Hmmm.....maybe it'll drive the price up! So many possibilities...........
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby appjoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:26 pm

NDFarmer wrote:I hear it from my wife everyday.

My wife too. But she goes through her change and gives me all her coppers. I guess I finally drove her nuts too.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NoCents » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Pfffft. I get this every time I open my mouth.

You should've seen the looks when I told some about winning a huge fantasy football league for $10K.
I have to carry a copy of the check just not to look the part of.......well, you know.
I like my guns the same way Obama likes is immigrants.....UNDOCUMENTED!!!!

NoCents User Feedback
NoCents
Penny Collector Member

Postby s3p2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:41 pm

appjoe wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:I hear it from my wife everyday.

My wife too. But she goes through her change and gives me all her coppers. I guess I finally drove her nuts too.

My wife teases me about it but saves her coppers for me in the cup holder in her car.

I think the show tonight will be cool and will legitimize our crazy actions. I don't think it will effect the price, that's set by industrial demand vs supply. I do think it will just make our little 1c treasures harder to find. Just like silver dimes, they are hard to find but are still only worth the value of silver. The coin does not set the price of the metal, the metal sets the price of the coin.
s3p2

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I do not talk about hoarding pennies to very many people because I know they would think I am nuts and most everybody already think I am nuts because I am never seen without a gun on my side. I did talk to an uncle about it over Thanksgiving and he seemed slightly interested especially when I started talking about what 1,000 pounds would be worth melt, It seems like if you say a penny is worth about two cents then people are not very interested but when you start talking about what 1,000+ pounds is worth they seem to change their mind.My girlfriend is into haording so she sorts one box a week and I sort two so that helps and I pick up the pennies and she dumps them
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Sorry to admit it, but I don't talk to anyone at all. Only my parents know.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 am

It's good to not tell others, yes they do think your crazy, but if they stop by they might see your operation. I just tell them I'm shorting the dollar one penny at a time, and I can't afford silver or gold. I find copper in the trash all the time, just follow the electricians around. They just did a major road construction project where I live, put up new street lights, etc. They drop it all over the place, I went and educated some of the guys while picking it up, but my supply ran out as they started picking it up for themselves! This piece of rope in my parking lot turned into a 20 foot piece of speaker wire when I finally parked next to it.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am

the few people ive told(mostly family) give me the same response first kind of a dumbfounded look a slight pause then they either say nothing or something about how crazy I am.My mom and dad realized I was right about silver & gold so they dont call me crazy about pennies anymore they just tell me "we get it you can quit telling us now".
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Welcome to the nut house! Being crazy is so much more interesting and fun than the mundane existance of the common folk. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby baggerman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Been nuts all my life. Family told me I was nuts to buy into silver @$12
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:I am never seen without a gun on my side.

Man, that's nuts.
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:51 pm

It's not nuts carrying a gun by your side, people just think your nuts carrying a gun on your hip. Unless your a police officer, then they think it's completely normal. Most every state has a law allowing you to carry a concealed weapon, that's ok, many prefer to not openly carry.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.... :D I'm not talking about Almond Joy either!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Sometimes I think I'm a little nuts, but I've really enjoyed the past year while I lost my mind sorting pennies. 8-)

I'm sure some of you have seen the show "Hoarders" on A&E. My roommate and I have discussed filming a "Penny Hoarder" show. It all starts with an above average young male who starts saving the coppers out of pocket change, then he starts getting a bigger supply via rolls at the bank. It starts off small, maybe $10 at a time. Just whatever the tellers have on hand. They just give him strange looks and figure,"hey, why not?" After $10 of rolls at a time won't fuel this drive for more copper pennies, $25 boxes seem to satisfy the thirst for copper. Along the way, every "give a penny, take a penny" tray he encounters is raided for the "free" coppers. :)

His personal appearance starts to decline. The once clean cut young man starts only shaving once a week, more money for pennies, right? The last time he had a haircut was almost 2 months ago. Friends are the first to notice the transformation taking place inside their friend. They see the evidence of penny sorting; the paper from the rolls, the empty String boxes that now everywhere in the living room. The man says that he is keeping them for a little help starting a fire in the fireplace. A green, 5 gallon bucket is noticed in the garage of the house with lots of pennies. That bucket was almost half full! Must be at least $100 in pennies. ;)

Shortly his family becomes aware of this new interest in pennies. Some support his habit and save whatever they find in their change to give to him. Other family members just think he is in a phase. He'll lose interest after a few months. But he doesn't....

After lurking on Realcent.org and its previous incarnation, he decides to join the site to add to the discussion and ask some newbie questions. The innocent looking website is packed with nice and interesting people, full of knowledge. This site leads to his downfall, but more on that later. He must now place orders of coin at the local credit union. The first order is for 2 boxes, $50. Sorts it by hand in about 4 hours. There has to be a way he can process more coins. Over the next weeks he ups the ante and orders more and more coin. After taking an hour and a half a day for six days a week, he has had enough. He cannot process that much copper. A copper penny sorting machine is often talked about on that Realcent.org. After considering the cost and the advantages of the coin sorter for about 2 minutes, he orders one. In his mind, this time saving, gift of the gods cannot come fast enough...

I might write more later, but you get the gist of it. Productive member of society starts to turn to the dark side, but just how dark will it get? Kinda like a "Reefer Madness" but for pennies. By the way, based on a true story.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 pm

you have a girlfriend? and she hoards? marry her dude!!!!!!!!!!!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby WileE » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Most of my associates have not saved a penny all year :shock:
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 pm

My wife just thinks I am going through a mid-life crisis. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:46 am

twentybux wrote:My wife just thinks I am going through a mid-life crisis. :D

No, she's wrong. A midlife crisis entails a sports car and trying to hit on women 20 years younger, maybe crossing the jailbait age line........
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:04 am

Chief wrote:My roommate and I have discussed filming a "Penny Hoarder" show.

Awesome!
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing