Thinking outside the box (literally)

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Thinking outside the box (literally)

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi all-

As a fellow long time member and enthusiastic sorter/hoarder, I noticed something-

I know there were people sorting pennies long before the introduction of the post office's flat rate boxes, but it did seem (myself included) that a lot of people got on board with penny sorting when you could ship a 68lb package for $11.

Question- what happens if the post office ever takes away the flat rate box option? The recent vid on highroller's operation (and I am perfectly neutral on whether or not it was good or bad he hit the news, for the record) got me thinking- how will our bottom line be affected if flat rate boxes are no longer an option? Shipping with certain services would be way more than the face value of $100 in pennies in a ctu... :o Road trips? Yeah, but likely you would need to bring large amounts of pennies (+/- $500 fv) for a transaction to make it worth your while, perhaps?

I'm still sorting, but it does seem to be a significant Achilles heel to realizing profits when we are all ready to sell....and since it will likely be a highly devalued dollar situation when copper reaches a high enough price to warrant most of us selling, the PO will likely have done away with the flat rate boxes....but they are government, so who knows...

Just thinking...
wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Thinking outside the box (literally)

Postby NHsorter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I fully expect the cost of shipping (and everything else) to be higher by the time I am selling. But I am in it for the long term. Hopefully, by that time, a better market will have developed. Maybe with some LCS's getting on board it would help to eliminate the shipping issue.

Or maybe RealCent could develop some sort of pool so that members local to the buyer could fill the order for the far-away seller. It might be tricky,but it is worth discussing.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm

I have asked this question before. My feeling is it would pretty much put an end to our hobby. If we had to pay $80.00 to $100.00 to ship these boxes we are now shipping for $10.00 it just wouldn't work. I think it is just a matter of time before they either do away with the flat rate box or cut the weight limit way down.

I guess if that ever happens we can still sort and hope the melt ban is lifted.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 pm

I wonder the % of boxes that are shipped out flat rate? I would guess it is over 50% of all boxes shipped; If so they can't drop it just raise the price as they are cutting jobs and increasing the price of stamps :cry:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Problem solved: http://uspsstore.stamps.com/Store/catalog/sub_category.jsp?id=cat961410023&source=si10646017&sslr=true

;)

something all serious sorters should hoard.

I wonder what the cost would be to ship those prepaid boxes...if/when the USPS increases rates on heavy boxes, demand for those prepaids might be pretty high.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Might make as much money by investing in prepaid boxes and reselling them when rates go up! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:51 pm

68Camaro wrote:Might make as much money by investing in prepaid boxes and reselling them when rates go up! :)

NOTE: Prepaid Forever Priority Mail Flat Rate Packaging is intended solely for use by the purchaser and cannot be resold. :roll:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 pm

reselling them is against the terms of service though so if you did any volume you would be in danger of getting in trouble.

Also, I have only about 50% faith in them honoring flat rate for the next 5 years, let alone forever.

For example, all they have to do is stop the flat rate system and then the stamps are essentially valueless immediately.
barrytrot

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:01 pm

hobo finds wrote:I wonder the % of boxes that are shipped out flat rate? I would guess it is over 50% of all boxes shipped; If so they can't drop it just raise the price as they are cutting jobs and increasing the price of stamps :cry:

I pay attention when I'm stuck in the long lines while waiting to send packages at the Post Office. I see a very small % of use of the flat rate boxes. Most people even refuse to use them when they are told it's cheaper to ship in the flat rate box. So, my guess is that they will do away with the flat rate boxes when the general public starts to use them more.

The last 2 times I saw nobody with a flat rate box...but had a package or box of their own to ship. I know the price is based on weight.

Just an observation that I've been watching instead of crying about standing in line. :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby doug » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 pm

It would suck to by 25 of the medium boxes and then have the USPS cut the max weight to 35 lbs.

It says they are good forever but I see nowhere where the 70 lb. weight limit is forever.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 pm

doug wrote:It would suck to by 25 of the medium boxes and then have the USPS cut the max weight to 35 lbs.

It says they are good forever but I see nowhere where the 70 lb. weight limit is forever.

Doug

Right, another good point against buying the forever-flat-stamps.
barrytrot

Postby stash » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm holding my copper for the long haul, hopefully when the time comes to sell, it will be easier to get rid of locally.
stash

Postby barrytrot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:01 am

stash wrote:I'm holding my copper for the long haul, hopefully when the time comes to sell, it will be easier to get rid of locally.

As long as the melt ban is lifted when you sell you can take them to the scrap yard or some other place that deals in copper. So shipping won't be an issue in the future, in my opinion.
barrytrot

Postby JJM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:41 pm

I too believe there will come a day when the USPS changes the weight limit. If they were smart, they would do this sooner rather than later since they're losing money as a business hand over fist. However, some of us believe they are not very smart...lol. I'll let you decide for yourself on that one!

Changing the flat rate shipping world would certainly change the hobby to a degree. I wouldn't have the ability to quickly liquidate CTU's if need be. That's not a horrible thing though, I really should be hoarding more anyway.

None of this changes the fact that cents are still a smoking deal at face value.

The LCS's, to a degree, will get more in the action if this happens. The local scrapyard took CU cents in prior to the melt ban, I'm sure they'll start back up once it's lifted.

It probably won't kill me to wait a few years until that happens if need be. I really don't see the zinc cent hanging around that much longer, no clue if a steel cent will help in the lifting of the ban however. I believe doing away with the cent entirely will help do away w/ the melt ban however.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Other carriers are starting to try out flat rate services.

Here is a picture of Fed Ex's new flat rate boxes.

This is a TEST program they are trying in only a few locaitons. Portland being the main location.

Biggest issue with this is you have to load the box AT the fed ex store. If you want to take the box and fill it at home you have to pay $2 for the box.

Shipping on these is $15 to anywhere in the U.S mainland.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby brades » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:28 pm

You Americans are so lucky with your cheap shipping.
brades

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:55 pm

I think the USPS is actually making (or not losing as much as other depts.) with flat rate. I know a lot of those packages that are sent would cost less to ship if they were weighed and those far outnumber the 69lb 8oz boxes I haul to my local PO. Judging by the reaction I got the first time I took one in, nearly nobody is shipping really heavy stuff via FRB.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Other carriers are starting to try out flat rate services.

This is a TEST program they are trying in only a few locaitons. Portland being the main location.

Biggest issue with this is you have to load the box AT the fed ex store. If you want to take the box and fill it at home you have to pay $2 for the box.

Is there a weight limit on those FedEx packages?
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:46 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:Other carriers are starting to try out flat rate services.

Is there a weight limit on those FedEx packages?

The fed ex lady said there was no weight limit! :shock:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Regarding the Fed Ex flat rate: Please don't run over there and pour cents into one of them. NOT YET. Wait until they are done "testing" and then have at it :) We don't want to potentially kill the program :) Or have them impose a weight limit.
barrytrot

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

barrytrot wrote:Regarding the Fed Ex flat rate: Please don't run over there and pour cents into one of them. NOT YET. Wait until they are done "testing" and then have at it :) We don't want to potentially kill the program :) Or have them impose a weight limit.

Exactly. Let the test program grow. The sad thing is they arent advertising it...just the walk in customers know about it. Hopefully they will grow it a little and we can start using it. Problem is its more exspensive than usps and the boxes are smaller.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:27 am

Fedex weight limit is 150lbs..probably cant get that much weight into that box though..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:13 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Fedex weight limit is 150lbs..probably cant get that much weight into that box though..

Don't tempt me. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Everyone here is concerned that the USPS might be the ones to impose change on the system, by raising the prices to ship flat rate. Not a single respondent questions whether the present system is sustainable. It is NOT. Peak oil will put air transport out of business some day. It is not a question of if it might happen, or when might it happen. It is inevitable and imminent, and you will have far greater concerns as a result, than merely pondering how profitable it might be to continue sorting cents. An interesting perspective of the after-effects of a world undergoing post peak-oil is the recently released movie Atlas Shrugged. For those who think I'm a tree-hugger, go take the Crash Course at chrismartenson.com and then you might want to rethink your skepticism.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing