Do you seperate by condition?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do you seperate by condition?

Postby lfishjr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm

First - I'm glad my previous post was able to get a good dialect going on the forum. Thank you to all that posted a reply. I hope this one can have the same effect. :D

Do you seperate your CU by condition? Some of the responses that users posted in my previous thread made me rethink how I sort/store my stash. Here's what I started doing:

1) Rolls of AU, all dates
2) Rolls of circulated CU by year
3) Rolls of S mints, all dates
4) Containers of "green cancer-ridden ugglies"
*edit*
5) Rolls of Wheats
6) Rolls of canadians (by percentage)

Thoughts?
Last edited by lfishjr on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfishjr

Re: Do you seperate by condition?

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 pm

On the condition that it's zinc I separate it to the return bucket; and on the condition it's copper, I keep it!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:32 pm

I only separate the nice shiny AU's from the normal copper Lincoln Memorials. Wheats and Canadians are separated out also.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 pm

I only keep the really nice ones separate. Well I do keep the really ugly ones separate as well but I find that my qualification for "ugly" can vary greatly depending on mood, percentages I'm getting and possibly other factors :) Wheats get separated and Canadians as well. In the original post you said you separate Canadians by percentage. Canadians 96 and back are all the same percentage, they just have different weights for different years. Not trying to nit pick if that was just a typo. I'm also not sure about the real early ones like 40s, they might be slightly different. I too used to separate by years but since they are all the same percentage they now go in the same jar. I'm in the northeast and average roughly one Canadian per roll. I should keep s mints separate but I find so few that I don't bother.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tbram88 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Chief wrote:I only separate the nice shiny AU's from the normal copper Lincoln Memorials. Wheats and Canadians are separated out also.

This is what I do save for the "really nasty" go in the trash, and I separate the Kings from the Queens.

And that one wild Indian I found.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 pm

I seperate wheats (by decade) Canadians (all in the same pile) and copper (BU,ugly, bent, dented, green) all the same pile
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 pm

merchoarder wrote:I only keep the really nice ones separate. Well I do keep the really ugly ones separate as well but I find that my qualification for "ugly" can vary greatly depending on mood, percentages I'm getting and possibly other factors :) Wheats get separated and Canadians as well. In the original post you said you separate Canadians by percentage. Canadians 96 and back are all the same percentage, they just have different weights for different years. Not trying to nit pick if that was just a typo. I'm also not sure about the real early ones like 40s, they might be slightly different. I too used to separate by years but since they are all the same percentage they now go in the same jar. I'm in the northeast and average roughly one Canadian per roll. I should keep s mints separate but I find so few that I don't bother.

I do pretty much exactly the same thing. And I can also relate on how what I consider ugly depends on mood.

Keep:
BU coppers
normal coppers
ugly coppers
wheats
canadian coppers
canadian zinc/steel (goes with all my normal canadian money)
strange and unusual/foriegn

Return:
zincolns
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 pm

I just sort out the wheats and Canadians from the rest of the coppers, for the time being.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 am

I pull old ones, and a few more recent pennies that are close to uncirculated. That's all.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am

inflationhawk wrote:On the condition that it's zinc I separate it to the return bucket; and on the condition it's copper, I keep it!

+1
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:10 am

I have a bin for each decade of wheat cents.
I have a bin for Canadian Copper.
I have a bin for ugly copper that will some day be run through a rock tumbler.
I have a bin for AU/BU copper
I also have a few dishes for the following: AU Wheats, Nicely toned cents, Stamped, foreign, kings George, bent copper.
Circulated copper through the ScanCoin and into $50 canvas bags.
Zinc in pails to be dumped!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby s3p2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 pm

I don't have a lot but I keep wheats and king georges in a beer bottle. I keep all copper lincolns and canadians in 2 liter bottles. I toss the uglies in the trash, and return the zincs. Should I be separating the canadians?
s3p2

Postby everything » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I separate out the 59, 60, copper 82, zinc 82, 68-74S, all the rest goes into the same bucket. I will keep shiny coppers in AU condition and better, finding nice ones in the lower mintages is rare, I've become pickier about that over time. Wheats, they are what they are, scarce in rolls. I get Canadians as well, about one every three rolls, luckily most of them are copper, and the occasional Bahamas penny.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Later » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:02 pm

1 ryedale, what i catch by eye. primo, canada, wheat
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rejinx » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:17 pm

right now, I just separate cooper, 1982, wheats, cans, zinc, but i would like to separate the really good and really bad copper but i usually sort with a baby in one hand.
What I learned here:
A penny saved is a penny earned, 145 pennies saved is a pound.
Rejinx

Postby everything » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 am

I also look over 83's, 84's, 96, 98,99,2000 found a 2000 wide AM just tonight in a loomis roll, and it was not completely destroyed, surprising. I also save all my 2009's, now, I'm not sure what the errors are, I was researching it at one time though. I don't find to many really.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:53 pm

I have a box full of 2009's that I'll go through some day to look for errors. I had about a dozen or so 1983's that shot out of the copper side of the Ryedale, but upon weighing them on a gram scale, they were all zinc :cry:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brades » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm

I keep the uglies separate from the nicer ones. Don't want their ugliness to spread :D
brades

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing