No copper in change?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

No copper in change?

Postby rickygee » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:31 pm

OK, I know we had a thread on here, I think it was by 68 Camaro, about no copper pennies in change in his neck of the woods. Well, it's been almost 3 weeks now and I haven't seen a copper cent in the wild. Plenty of shiny shields, almost uncirculated zincs from the 2000's, but not even a verdigris covered copper from before '82. I'm in the middle of KY. Even the stuff I've picked up from the banks have been new 2011 shields.

I liked that design when it came out, but I'm really getting to dislike it lately...

Gonna pick up some nickels till this blows over. I need to add to the buffalo herd.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Re: No copper in change?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah - I had a long streak, many months ago. It passed, finally. But I've seen far fewer coppers in the wild again lately, which makes sense, as all the BoAs are supplying Brinks copper-free cents around here. And BofA is one of the larger bank chains here. Not sure what other banks use Brinks here (not Regions or TD) but they would also be adding to the problem.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:20 am

68Camaro wrote:Yeah - I had a long streak, many months ago. It passed, finally. But I've seen far fewer coppers in the wild again lately, which makes sense, as all the BoAs are supplying Brinks copper-free cents around here. And BofA is one of the larger bank chains here. Not sure what other banks use Brinks here (not Regions or TD) but they would also be adding to the problem.

Around here it seems like Brinks does 99% of the coin movement. Only once in awhile I'll see a Guarda (sp) truck. I use 4 different banks as supply banks and 1 bank for dumping and they all use Brinks. It's odd because some get the plastic Brinks rolls while some get the String boxes with the holes in the box. And then one branch gets both kinds of pennies!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rubbadubba » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:45 am

Three weeks without seeing a "copper"? Please tell me you're kidding. I realize that eventually all good things must come to an end but from what your post implies.... it may be sooner than later for all of us. I live in northern New England. Other than one incident about a month ago where I bought an essentially copperless $25 stringer box, for the most part I've enjoyed fairly regular 25 to 30 percent copper yields from several source banks/branches in my area. I wish you well and hope things change for you towards the better in KY soon. P.S. I wonder what the resale value on a flood of Ryedales will be once the "stream of copper" had dried up? *lol*
Rubbadubba

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:04 am

Sort now.. The End is Near!!! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby silverhedgehog » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Don't look now the 2012 zinkers are coming. Happy New Year, more dilution.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I remember as a kid looking forward to finding the first new penny of the year, now it just means there will be less copper to find. Funny how our views change as we age.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hirbonzig » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30 pm

I've been holding back some boxes of cents and putting the dates that I got them from the bank on them. The way things are going, years from now getting a 3-5% CU box will get a bunch of-- :D :D :D . It would be fun to report on opening a long lost 27% CU box. :D
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:03 pm

i do OK in pocket change, now I keep about 20 zincs in my left pocket. and when I see a full "take a penny" tray I tell the clerk(if watching) heres a magic trick! scoop the tray and leave the zincs. gives me more to sort...
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby s3p2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 pm

One of my gifts from my wife was a $25 box from my usual bank... no coppers in the entire box!
s3p2

Postby m21221 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:36 pm

I finding very few coppers in my neck of the woods also.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby maoguinn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm still getting 15-20% in bank boxes, but copper in pocket change is very low.
maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 pm

In southern New England, I haven't found a copper in pocket change in over two weeks, which is unusual. There's also been a sudden influx of 2011's this month.

This is based on a very small sample, though. Also, the banks tend to roll out new coinage and bills for the holidays, and the stores run through a lot more coin for change.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Was at the post office today and I noticed all of the tellers had a huge, full leave-a-penny tray... so as the guy processed my package I looked through them. Said "sorry, I'm a coin collector, I couldn't help it." He replied "everyone does that."

But on topic, I did find three free coppers in there...
uthminsta

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm

I have seen only 2 copper pennies in pocket change in over a month. I have five boxes to sort, we shall see how it goes.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:42 pm

silverhedgehog wrote:Don't look now the 2012 zinkers are coming. Happy New Year, more dilution.

Speaking of zinkers. Does anybody need a few rolls of uncirculated 2011 zincs. Got a Brinks box last week that was all new with a few rolls with a couple of old stripes. I do not want to open them to find out what the few stripes are.
If anyone has any interest I would part with some or all for FV and postage. PM if interested. I am sure many of you have had similar boxes though.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am

Stopped by SunTrust yesterday, which I have an account at, but not a normal pickup bank. I had exhausted all my suppliers this week and thought I would take a gamble. They use Brinks, thus the concern, but they had three old boxes: 1 unopened Brinks, one an opened mix of Brinks and CWR, and one all CWR with a high copper percent. No skunks, and the old Brinks were running the usual low 20s yield :) Downside was these were incedibly dirty and/or corroded cents. I had to pull about 40% of the coppers to the side, but I ended up with enough clean ones to top off my next $50 bag, which was my goal.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing