Paying your loans with zinc

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Paying your loans with zinc

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am

My dump bank branches have sweet cummins coin machine. It just so happens, that it’s the same bank that services my wife’s student loans. Monthly, they deduct the loan payment from her account. Yep, they’re getting the load paid in zinc. And considering the loan has an APR of 1.88%, no reason to prepay. Plus, I’m happy getting a small tax deduction from that interest. :D

Anybody else paying their debts with zinc pennies?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Re: Paying your loans with zinc

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:15 am

Several months ago I received an offer from Chase for a credit card with 0% interest on purchases for the first 12 months or so. I got the card and used it to buy silver, lots of junk silver. Chase then sent me an offer to open a checking account with them and included a $150 bonus for opening the account. I took them up on that offer too. So now the money I borrowed at 0% on the credit card for buying silver is being paid back through the new checking account which is receiving deposits with the zincs I dump at Chase.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Several months ago I received an offer from Chase for a credit card with 0% interest on purchases for the first 12 months or so. I got the card and used it to buy silver, lots of junk silver. Chase then sent me an offer to open a checking account with them and included a $150 bonus for opening the account. I took them up on that offer too. So now the money I borrowed at 0% on the credit card for buying silver is being paid back through the new checking account which is receiving deposits with the zincs I dump at Chase.

Did you get 0% balance transfer fee as well? I've been looking for one of those deals for a while. Haven't been offered 0% interest and 0% transaction fee in a long time (2008 ?).
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 am

knibloe wrote:
TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:Several months ago I received an offer from Chase for a credit card with 0% interest on purchases for the first 12 months or so. I got the card and used it to buy silver, lots of junk silver. Chase then sent me an offer to open a checking account with them and included a $150 bonus for opening the account. I took them up on that offer too. So now the money I borrowed at 0% on the credit card for buying silver is being paid back through the new checking account which is receiving deposits with the zincs I dump at Chase.

Did you get 0% balance transfer fee as well? I've been looking for one of those deals for a while. Haven't been offered 0% interest and 0% transaction fee in a long time (2008 ?).

Keep your eyes open. I received a 0% interest and 0% transaction fee offer about 6 months ago. The offer was through Chase.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby creshka46 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 pm

exbingoaddict wrote: ....And considering the loan has an APR of 1.88%....

HOLY COW! Where did you get your loan from?!?! I just had to take out a Stafford loan for my wife's school and the rate is around 6%!
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

My student loan is 1.62%. Got it through the gobermint. Wish I had a way to pay it monthly in halves I would.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

creshka46 wrote:HOLY COW! Where did you get your loan from?!?! I just had to take out a Stafford loan for my wife's school and the rate is around 6%!

She graduated five years ago when the rates were even lower. It's a stafford that started at 2.6% but after two years of automanic payments it was cut .75% down to the current rate.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

knibloe wrote:

Balance transfers were at 0% also but included the transfer fee of 3% which always sucks. I didn't have any outstanding credit card balances to transfer anyway. I took advantage of their credit card offer primarily as an interest free loan for buying silver. I already had the money available for buying the silver outright but now that money has been directed into a big stack of unsorted boxes of pennies which feed my penny sorting hobby leaving me with lots of zincs to deposit back at Chase to pay down the interest free loan. Chase is helping out with both the silver and copper hoarding and they gave me that $150 along the way too. :D
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:52 pm

I usually dump $50 in zinc with my monthly car payment. The zinc is usually extra principal.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

knibloe wrote:

If your looking for a balance transfer card look at capital one. i believe its called the prestige. i just did a blance transfer and got 2 years no interest
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing