Anyone else sort through the rejects?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Anyone else sort through the rejects?

Postby jacer333 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:06 pm

For all of you fellow ryedale sorters, do any of you look through your rejects before sending them back to be dumped? I guess I am just a tad neurotic and always think I may be sending back an IH or some early wheats. So for the peace of mind, I run through my zincs quickly to see if anything catches my eye. I don't turn each coin over and check dates, but get a good enough look to make sure nothing good is slipping through my fingers. I am just wondering if I am the only paranoid sorter out there! :lol:
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Anyone else sort through the rejects?

Postby pennyguy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm

I first do copper except ,then run all the captured copper again to make sure all the
zincs are out,then I run all the rejected zincs with a zinc except.thats when I find all my
older wheats and IHs
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I do the same thing as you 333. I have found a lot of IHCs and also my 1914-D. So I now have no problem justifying the effort. I can sift through them at about the same speed as the ryedale spits them out.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cacahg » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I alway look and run small batches. When I stared running small batches I started finding more wheat and 2 IHs since I started doing it this way.
cacahg

Postby PennysaverCP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I always check them. I run batches of $25.00 then quickly check the zincs. I almost always pull 2-5 wheats out. My first and only indian head was in with the zincs also.
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I found a couple zinc CUDs that I sold for over $30 when I was hand-sorting, but I don't have time to search the zincs any more. It did bug me to see wheats and an Indian Head slide down the chute when I was dumping, so I now do zinc-then-copper accepts in order to capture as many of them as possible.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 pm

I do a quick scan of the zinc before I bag them too.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm

I check the rejects by dumping a handful at a time in black plastic tub and scanning before dumping in the bucket that will be getting dumped in one of the automatic rolling machines. This is how you find the older wheats and Indians. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing