Pretty good bag.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Pretty good bag.

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I just finished sorting a decent bag of pennies.

521 wheats oldest was 1918
40 copper canadians
1496 copper.

I checked to see if they had more yesterday, but none have come out of the banks sorter yet.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: Pretty good bag.

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 pm

I'd say it was a fine bag!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:49 am

the one down side to this bag was that many of the coins were nasty.

About 100 of the wheats had serious corrosion on them. The upside was that it encouraged me to break out my wife's rock tumbler and try it out on the corroded pennies. Most of them cleaned up nice.

I assume that a common date wheat will sell for 3-4 cents whether it has been cleaned or nor right??
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby goinyard » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi there,
I'm new to this board and been sorting for a couple weeks now. I've read a lot of good info on this site and appreciate it! Started out looking at a stash I had for many years then next thing you know... I'm at bank ordering boxes. I need to get past the feeling that I'm putting the tellers out, to go back to vault, put on dolly, bring up to front...and if a line starts forming, the feeling of the stares behind me! Do you guys call ahead?
Lastly, I'll share some beginners luck. I ask for 2 boxes yesterday and all they have is re-wrapped and I remember someone saying to take them on here. They must of been a copper dumb because the were 99% copper and no wheats.
goinyard

Postby plus1hdcp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 pm

goinyard wrote:Hi there,
I'm new to this board and been sorting for a couple weeks now. I've read a lot of good info on this site and appreciate it! Started out looking at a stash I had for many years then next thing you know... I'm at bank ordering boxes. I need to get past the feeling that I'm putting the tellers out, to go back to vault, put on dolly, bring up to front...and if a line starts forming, the feeling of the stares behind me! Do you guys call ahead?
Lastly, I'll share some beginners luck. I ask for 2 boxes yesterday and all they have is re-wrapped and I remember someone saying to take them on here. They must of been a copper dumb because the were 99% copper and no wheats.

First of all welcome to the board and the obsession.

Calling ahead to order boxes is what I have found to be the easiest method for me - I wish $50 bags were available to me.

I would be back at the same bank to see if they have any more of the "copper dumb" penny rolls. Outstanding score, good luck and look forward to hearing more from you.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goinyard » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Thx plus 1

I'm assuming $50 bags are loose coins? I'll ask if banks here in Seattle have them.

LOL I was trying to figure out the "copper dumb" until I realized my typo! I think I got someones old copper collection that they decided to dump. Dang, I'm sure by Monday they will be gone but will try to get across town again and see if they are holding anymore.

I'm curious of the innovative ways some people are getting large quantities of pennies for free. Like calling vending co and asking if they sell etc... or is it best just to make a bank loop and get 2-4 boxes at each branch?
goinyard

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing