Awesome Box and Got the Wife Hooked

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Awesome Box and Got the Wife Hooked

Postby ModernSurvival » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 pm

So this weekend I picked up my weekly box as the wife rolled her eyes again. Well our niece spent the weekend and I had her sorting and she loved it, so the wife sits down to do it for the first time now she is hooked.

Not to mention best box ever! Total of 913 coppers 36%! I know some of your guys that do like huge volumes may see boxes like this but this is my first one over 25% so that was cool.

Bonus was 12 Wheaties! Most of the time I find one or two in a roll but never a dozen. So now the wife wants to sort so I guess we can do two boxes a week, :D I really don't do this for money, it is just fun as hell and actually doesn't cost anything.
ModernSurvival

Re: Awesome Box and Got the Wife Hooked

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:16 am

Congrats on the great percentage and especially for getting your wife involved in the hobby. The reason some of us guys sort huge volumes is because we never see a box like this.. so we "just sort more!" :mrgreen:
"
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:36 am

I agree, I average about 25% also, but the few last boxes I've been getting about 30%!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 am

Amazing- I dream of hitting a high percentage box like that. I am consistently getting 20-21%. I've never exceeded 21%. Congrats!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 am

ModernSurvival...congrats on making this a "team effort" by building your wife's interest in this great hobby.

Mr. PTP doesn't sort but he definitely helps me with the hobby by getting/returning the coins for me as well as he now knows to keep any change he receives separate until I have a chance to check it over. He will also ask me if I've "found anything good" and he also sits patiently at coin shows while I enjoy looking at the dealer's displays.

So, I guess there are various levels of participation for this hobby.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby ModernSurvival » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:01 pm

What is even better then the wife is the kiddo. I asked her if she wanted two boxes of pennies from Uncle Jack for herself and she said yes. Really excited too. I have been doing silver rounds for her for Birthdays and Christmas and now will add copper. We always get her something more kid friendly too (not just my niece but also my God Daughter) but she bounces when I hand her a silver dollar or round.

Her parents are typical live in debt types but they are encouraging her to save money, etc. The more kids we can get doing this the better, they have much better eyes and are faster then us too.

You guys want to know when they will let us melt this stuff down? When we get it out of circulation! So speed up the process and use the opportunity to teach kids about money. Be honest how many of us do this today because someone in the 60s or 70s showed us two quarters and how one had a different edge than the other?
ModernSurvival

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:ModernSurvival...congrats on making this a "team effort" by building your wife's interest in this great hobby.

Mr. PTP doesn't sort but he definitely helps me with the hobby by getting/returning the coins for me as well as he now knows to keep any change he receives separate until I have a chance to check it over. He will also ask me if I've "found anything good" and he also sits patiently at coin shows while I enjoy looking at the dealer's displays.

So, I guess there are various levels of participation for this hobby.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:

I hadn't seen you post for a little bit. Glad to see everything is okay.

Topic:

It's always nice to have an "other" who likes, or even participates in your sorting. If you really want to get her hooked, let her "find" an Indian. Spike her coins with one, hehe. Keep up the searches. Look for a bank that will sell you bags, much easier to sort and I typically have higher percentages in my bags opposed to the boxes I get.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ModernSurvival » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 am

Deal, That is positively diabolical! And you know what, I am going to do it, might spike a wheaty or two as well make it a really memorable roll.
ModernSurvival

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing