Change of strategy

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Change of strategy

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I have been hand sorting pennies for several years.

After reading some of your posts regarding some cool and valuable mint miscues/abnormalities, I have begun sorting for these.

The problem is, I don't know what I am looking for!

Does anyone out there know of a website that has pictures of these differences so I can compare my stash?

ie.... what exactly does a WAM look like?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Change of strategy

Postby Verbane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Start with the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5109

Lincoln Cent Resource is invaluable, link to the WAM page is below:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 pm

OtusLotus wrote:I have been hand sorting pennies for several years.

After reading some of your posts regarding some cool and valuable mint miscues/abnormalities, I have begun sorting for these.

Does anyone out there know of a website that has pictures of these differences so I can compare my stash?

WAMS are easy....find any 1992 or 1992D cent. Look at that wide space between the "A" and the "M". After a little that space just grows and grows. That big open space...no legs from the letter can touch. The 1999 is the rarest, followed be the 1998, and then the 2000. Only Philly mints. To get started, I'd use a jeweler's loupe until your eyes KNOW what they are seeing. After a few finds or just practicing with 1992's, you won't need the loupe anymore. The secondary marker for WAMS is the "FG" initials. On WAMs they are closer to the memorial. A loupe helps here too. But my experience says when you get that huge 1992 gap on a 98,99,or 2000....you know you got yourself a WAM!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Numis Pam » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
OtusLotus wrote:I have been hand sorting pennies for several years.

WAMS are easy....find any 1992 or 1992D cent. Look at that wide space between the "A" and the "M". After a little that space just grows and grows. That big open space...no legs from the letter can touch. The 1999 is the rarest, followed be the 1998, and then the 2000. Only Philly mints. To get started, I'd use a jeweler's loupe until your eyes KNOW what they are seeing. After a few finds or just practicing with 1992's, you won't need the loupe anymore. The secondary marker for WAMS is the "FG" initials. On WAMs they are closer to the memorial. A loupe helps here too. But my experience says when you get that huge 1992 gap on a 98,99,or 2000....you know you got yourself a WAM!

This is an old thread but the info is very Nice to know!!
Guess I will have to get my grandson into doing this while he is sorting for copper. His eyes are much better than mine!!
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing