One day...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

One day...

Postby bseballdude11 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 am

One day I think we will look back and laugh at the days when copper penny bullion sold for below spot value. Any other thoughts?
bseballdude11

Re: One day...

Postby willy13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Whatever happens, I just did not want to be the guy looking back and wishing I sorted copper cents. I wasnt born till 71, so I missed the days of sorting silver at reasonable percentages. I am sure many older people look back and wish they had saved their silver coins....
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby snappy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:24 pm

willy13 wrote:Whatever happens, I just did not want to be the guy looking back and wishing I sorted copper cents. I wasnt born till 71, so I missed the days of sorting silver at reasonable percentages. I am sure many older people look back and wish they had saved their silver coins....

I was born in 69 and I remember any thing under 5 silvers (dimes/halves) in a roll and that would be concidered bad in the late 70's early 80's I started doing this early I sold a lot of halves when silver was $45 and bought my mom a house.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby DEKAN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Some of us are just too old to know if we will even make money on copper pennies.
DEKAN

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm

funny... I was just thinking about this today. The funny thing was I was reading a forum and this person was going off... "It's cents, not pennies".. I guess he had a point.. lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

I was born in 1985 so I never had a chance to sort silver, I was not interested in silver until the last year so I never got a chance to buy it at the cheap prices. I sure do hope laugh at when pennies sold under spot and not be laughing at how much time I spent each week hand sorting my three boxs
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bseballdude11 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 pm

DEKAN wrote:Some of us are just too old to know if we will even make money on copper pennies.

Im 19. I just want one sweet vacation or something out of these pennies when Im in my thirties or something ha :D
bseballdude11

Postby drummermatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I'd like to think if I had the chance and was born earlier, I would have sorted some silver. But at least we have the chance right now to sort the next "outgoing" circulation metal. I'm 33, and I have about 30 years until I really would feel that I "had" to get rid of my hoard and be ready to reap the rewards. In the interim, time is on my side :)
drummermatt

Postby penny pretty » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 am

when I retire in 18 years, these are the possibilities. 1. the dollar will be gone, and the massive amount of copper,nickel, and silver I hoarded will save me. 2.the dollar held, and my 401k, pension, and savings will keep me afloat. 3. if the improbable number 2 happens, my pennies, nickels, and silver eagles will STILL be worth face value! I also regret missing the saving silver days but remember.. the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is TODAY.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cupronickel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am

When the silver dimes/quarters/halves were changed, the melt value was less than the face value. So if you hoarded the silver coinage, then you were paying above spot price. It wasn't until years later that sorting allowed for an instant profit. That's why I'm amazed that the 25/75 nickle keeps being produced.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing