Is it possible to use a magnet to sort pennys?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is it possible to use a magnet to sort pennys?

Postby luke1988 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:07 pm

I know that a copper penny wont stick to a fridge magnet but copper is a diamagnetic metal which means it is weakly repelled by magnetism more then other metals like zinc, if exposed to a powerful magnet such as a neodymium rare earth magnet a copper penny should be repelled? anyone here ever try this?
luke1988

Re: Is it possible to use a magnet to sort pennys?

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:17 am

There was a thread on the old board about this. A guy had developed a machine that was actually able to sort them when they rolled down a ramp, passed by the magnets and arced through the air. It was a bit trickier than just using a Ryedale. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Hoard, do you ever sleep?!? 3:17 am! :shock:

I guess you are on the west coast...
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gumby_5 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Interesting. A magnet that strong might be bad to have around with all the electronics people have these days.

Do any of you know where a person can get the coin sorter device with plug in that you have to build a box for? I see them on ebay for about 50 bucks but surely there is another place to buy them or the sellers supply would run out rather quickly.
Gumby_5

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Isnt that the premise behind the "Ace" by Ryedale? A magnet? If so, it works.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Two Alpha » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am

I use a "Heavy Hitter" sluice magnet on my Canadian rolls, it allows for very quick removal of all the post 1999 copper clad steel coins. Also works great with Canadian nickels, it leaves all the cupro-nickel coins behind.
The magnet is a huge time-saver for hand sorting but it will probably be redundant once I get a hopper/feeder set up with my two el cheapo comparators.
Two Alpha

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing