Guess it Happens to all of us at some point

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Guess it Happens to all of us at some point

Postby ZigMeister » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Went in to one of my local Wells Fargo branches this past week to exchange one box of rolled Cents and the Manager came over to talk to me. I have been using this branch about every 3-4 weeks to either buy 1-2 boxes of cents or nickels or to exchange for unsearched boxes which they have been nice enough to do. This time the Manager said that in the future they will charge me $12.50 for every box I bring in as it takes them a long time to break open each roll and place in a larger bag for recycling back to Brinks.

She said there would be no charge for buying boxes just for dumping or exchanging. Bummer! :(
Fortunately there are a lot of WF branches around here.
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Re: Guess it Happens to all of us at some point

Postby abe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:34 am

Sounds like its cutting into their time for fingernail grooming.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 am

Bring the coins back loose then.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:21 am

At least she said you could keep on buying coins there. It is harder to find supply banks than it is dump banks.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 am

I find it strange that banks have a problem with taking money?! Used to bring back my zincs in handwrapper rolls with my acc number on it. Guy told me at my old bank one time "You know this does give us alot of EXTRA work." I was thinking in my head "Yeah and I care because??!?!??!." I'm just surprised the manager is the one complaining, usually it's the tellers making up bogus rules because they don't want to have to do anything that might challenge them.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:19 am

Very, very soon there will be two new dinoasaurs:

Strong Work Ethic and Customer Service :( :cry: :evil:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:Very, very soon there will be two new dinoasaurs:

Strong Work Ethic and Customer Service :( :cry: :evil:

Customer service has left already after people keep abusing the old adage "The Customer is Always Right."
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby totalcount » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:13 pm

I'd ask for some of the plastic bags, it sounds to me like if you bring them back loose they won't charge you.
totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 pm

It happens to all of us. Usually they cut you off on both dumping and receiving. My local BofA cut me off for bringing in a mere $3000 in zinc one week.. all neatly bagged.

Some banks will allow you to turn it in loose in bags. This is always preferrable.. especially if you happen to have a high speed counter or two. Most of the banks have to break the rolls open to bag them and send them in. Some wil insist that coin being turned in is rolled so they can get a rough count when bagging it, and some will allow you to turn it in in bags.

The way to twist this in your favor and make the bank manager your friend is to offer to take all their CWR of all denominations so they never have to break the rolls and never have to ship. I have this arrangement with several branches. I either stop by on a regular basis and pick it up or they call me when they have a bunch. Works out really well for both me and the banks.. though it seems I am always behind on nickels.. lol. Of course you will have to find alternative dump banks.. but this will definately increase you source side. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:16 am

For dumping, I use a large bank that has coin counters at several area branches. Taking a slip of paper to a cashier is much easier then showing up with a bag of cents. Of course dealing with machines is not always fool proof. One time the counter stopped because I had filled it up.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 am

exbingoaddict wrote:For dumping, I use a large bank that has coin counters at several area branches. Taking a slip of paper to a cashier is much easier then showing up with a bag of cents. Of course dealing with machines is not always fool proof. One time the counter stopped because I had filled it up.

hahahhahah, one time you filled a machine, heck when i walk in , they get out the bags, they know i will be filling either the penny or nickel bags.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ZigMeister » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:59 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:It happens to all of us. Usually they cut you off on both dumping and receiving. My local BofA cut me off for bringing in a mere $3000 in zinc one week.. all neatly bagged.

The way to twist this in your favor and make the bank manager your friend is to offer to take all their CWR of all denominations so they never have to break the rolls and never have to ship. I have this arrangement with several branches. I either stop by on a regular basis and pick it up or they call me when they have a bunch. Works out really well for both me and the banks.. though it seems I am always behind on nickels.. lol. Of course you will have to find alternative dump banks.. but this will definately increase you source side. :mrgreen:

Thanks Hoard! I went back to the bank and offered to buy any and all CWRs that are turned in, They initially said that many rolls are short and that they did not want their customers unhappy. I told them that I would assume the risk. They then asked if I would pick them up quickly if they called and I told them I would. We'll see if this works out.
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm

cwgii wrote:hahahhahah, one time you filled a machine, heck when i walk in , they get out the bags, they know i will be filling either the penny or nickel bags.

I'm only a rainy day hoarder. I wouldn't make it in the bush league compared to a lot of people on this forum. :)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! They cut me off. So I have been ordering boxes of nickels and pennies through a local bank, always no questions asked and happy to do it. I only buy a few hundred dollars at a time. Today they said they have changed policy and no more. They mentioned some other dude was massively buying pennies. They did get me 77 bucks worth of nickels and pennies from the drawers. I guess they are going to become a dump bank. Damn, I really liked that bank!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhh! They cut me off. So I have been ordering boxes of nickels and pennies through a local bank, always no questions asked and happy to do it. I only buy a few hundred dollars at a time. Today they said they have changed policy and no more. They mentioned some other dude was massively buying pennies. They did get me 77 bucks worth of nickels and pennies from the drawers. I guess they are going to become a dump bank. Damn, I really liked that bank!

Is this the bank with the teller that you were thinking about courting? :shock:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Nope different one. She works at Chase, I don't like the bank but do like that teller. I dumped some pennies there a couple days ago but she was not there.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm only a rainy day hoarder. I wouldn't make it in the bush league compared to a lot of people on this forum. :)

Hey! Me too. When I don't get a box I just ask the teller for twenty bucks of nickels and ten of pennies. Four bundles. Easy to carry and tellers have them in their personal vault at their station. Never had a problem, even at two banks where I do not have an account, until this Monday, at a branch of my main personal banking institution. I'll admit I was wearing my holiest 'fashion' jeans :lol: Teller says: "Are these coins for your business?"
" Oh no ma'am, for my personal use. I just look for the old ones." Very icily " Do you have an account here?" Rattled out the account number so fast she couldn't possibly understand it and followed it up with "checking, savings, and paycheck direct deposit." Her tone changed, I got my coins, but I won't go back to that location. No use antagonizing anybody. Besides, this institution has a branch on every corner.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing