very expensive pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

very expensive pennies

Postby penny pretty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

heres a new one I bet! went to a house to buy a jar of pennies( put an ad on craigslist) took precautions, only took $40, the price of pennies, left my credit cards home. get to the door, dude has a big jar, looks good, then his PITBULL comes at me and clamps on my leg. got out of ER a few hours ago. nice chunk out of thigh. the guy said he will pay me back(lives in a crappy APT, no use suing.) he did drive me to hospital. hopefully I will find enough 1914Ds or whatever to make up for deductible. I did get tomorrow off work, so I will tackle that jar,wish me luck, hurts like an SOB,lol..PS he did give me the pennies! brutal hobby!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: very expensive pennies

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 pm

You paid for it in blood...good luck!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm

You should ask him if you can have that dog, he's good at guarding pennies! :shock:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Elcid69 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:16 pm

"Does your dog bite?"
After he chews off your thigh you replied "" I thought you said"'your dog didn't bite"".
AND THEN HE SAID....
"That's not my Dog"
Humor can be the best medicine - get well soon.....
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Dogs name Copper?
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coinwolf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:44 pm

hobo finds wrote:Dogs name Copper?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Elcid69 wrote:"Does your dog bite?"
After he chews off your thigh you replied "" I thought you said"'your dog didn't bite"".
AND THEN HE SAID....
"That's not my Dog"
Humor can be the best medicine - get well soon.....

:lol: Peter Sellers/Inspector Closeau gag... I saw that movie many times.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 pm

going through the whole jar tomorrow, got the day off. will post the results.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 pm

penny pretty wrote:going through the whole jar tomorrow, got the day off. will post the results.

I don't know if it would be worth it, but you could take legal action against this guy as he was negligent in not restaining is dog.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Wow.. I know a lot of us go through some pain to add to our hoard.. but that has to be the most painful so far. I have busted my leg open by hitting it with a bag of 4 boxes of zinc.. but never had a critter latch on yet. I guess that dog didn't want to give up the pennies. Hope you have a speedy recovery. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby SilverEye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:16 am

Thank you for this post. I just bought a commercial grade coin counter and was thinking about putting it to use in exactly this manner. Now I know I definitely will NOT be doing so.

I do hope you heal well. Take care of yourself. I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:20 am

you never know... the guy might have renter's insurance, which would cover something like that...

Don't assume that b/c his apt looks crappy, that he shouldn't pay for your injuries...

The dog might have to be put down....
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 am

So out of curiosity, if you had been armed at the time would you have had enough
time to react? Or was the dog so quick that wouldn't have even helped?

Generally if there is any sign of a dog I won't go anywhere near.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby woodyh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am

sorry about that
hopefully they will be worth it
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:46 am

My sympathies; it must have been awful. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to take a one-day self-defense course against dogs.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:33 am

I hope the bite was reported to animal control, and the dog is currently in quarantine. If not, you should report it. If for no other reason than to have a record that the dog has bitten someone in case it happens again.

Just because you were in his place is no reason for him to not have had control of his dog. My Cane Corso/American Bulldog mix goes on the leash whenever I open the door for someone or let someone in the house. I used to always do the same thing with my Rottie/Chow mix (RIP).

May you have a speedy recovery, and find some treasures in that jar.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am

Dude, that sucks. I totally would have stabbed that dog in the eye if he was latched onto my leg though. So far all the craigslist dogs that I have encountered have all just tried to lick me. One looked mean enough and approached fast enough that I had my knife in my hand (in my pocket) but it turned out to be a real nice dog so it got to keep its eyes. :lol:

Reminds me of the time when I was a wee lad and a decent sized dog started chasing me and nipping at me as I rode by on the way to my friends house. I just squeaked by without incident. But he wanted me bad. On the way back home later on the dog had a much better line on me and as he lunged for my leg, I made just enough of an adjustment to kick him right in the nose and keep moving. I got lucky. Stunned him just enough to shake him off of my tail. I found an alternate route for the next time that I went over to that friends house.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 pm

That's crazy, better start asking people about pets, friend of mine, his cat bites. Bit him so bad in the finger he had to take some major antibiotic regime, I would have taken it out and shot it. To risky, people will sue you to high heaven and medical bills are not cheap anymore.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I think this should be turned over to the 3 stoogers legal team.
Doowey,
Suwem,
and Howe
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm

justoneguy wrote:I think this should be turned over to the 3 stoogers legal team.
Doowey,
Suwem,
and Howe

As opposed to Dewey, Cheatem & Howe?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

2nd the recommendation to report it to animal control.

That said, the dog might have got a piece of me, but you can be sure I would have emptied a clip into it. Then reloaded in case it (or the owner) twitched.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
justoneguy wrote:I think this should be turned over to the 3 stoogers legal team.
Doowey,
Suwem,
and Howe

As opposed to Dewey, Cheatem & Howe?

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe the dog didn't believe in an unstable fiat currency and wanted to protect his owner's real money.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm

just finished the process, animal control is taking the dog. the owners took me to hospital and were very cool. they said they will pay me back, but who knows. well I just had to go through the pennies on my day off work. $38 in a jar. about %40 copper, 43 wheats including three 1920, one 1920s,35s,a black nickel, and a 1983 large cent that said penny on back, and queen on obverse. When dumping at coinstar recently I have seen so many people cashing what looked to be old penny jars, I decided to post an ad to buy and count pennies without a fee and give a few bucks extra if I liked what I saw. If the dog had not come into the mix, I woulda been proud of myself! Well If the grandkids ask how I got that scar on my leg, I can proudly tell them, I stopped a nazi biker gang from stealing your freedom!
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Not bad, but you deserved better! Double check that black nickel and make sure it's not a silver one.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm

almost forgot TY all for replies, and I am limping quite nicely!back to work tomorrow to get barked at( they will know why I callled in) but should I tell them my craigslist ad was for pennies? or something more normal, like a hooker?
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing