Dimes in the penny bag

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dimes in the penny bag

Postby Dinero2005 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Picked up 5 bags from the CU today. First one I went through had $4.50 in dimes. I'm torn because the 8% instant gain is nice but the darn things chew up my sorter. :? I almost feel bad for the person that lost $4.05 in that machine.

Oh yeah. The best part is the head teller told me that she had 84 Eisenhower's in the vault that I could pick up tomorrow. :o I was kind of in shock so I hope I heard her right. "An 84?" I hope she's not mean enough to not tease me like that.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Dimes in the penny bag

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 am

Dimes are usual but my last couple of bags had a quarter or two in there! My guess is some sort of overflow or unfroze jam or something like that.

Back in the day....those darn smashed/flattened pennies would always cause havic with the Ryedale, :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:54 am

I just ran a bag that had 5.25 in quarters! must have been a jam in the machine because this banks machine is usually spot on...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 am

The 2 machines that I get my penny bags off of are pretty darn accurate. Always the correct amount of coins. I do average about 4-5 dimes per bag and they are usually slightly bent or squished in some way. As soon as I crack open a bag I dump it into my SC303. It only takes a minute and gives me piece of mind that I got the correct amount. Additionally, it filters out any dimes, bent cents, and other junk. I keep waiting for that "money bag" that is loaded with dimes. I just got this bag source about a month ago, so there is still plenty of time.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 am

I run a good amount of dimes through my dump bank's counting machines. Usually, I come up short by 30c-80c or so when I dump $2000. Also, I get odd amounts back as if a few dimes were counted as pennies. I'm pretty sure some of the dimes that I'm short are going into the bank's penny bag. My loss is someone's gain. Since the banks I deal with have free counting machines for me, I look at it as a small fee to pay to get SILVER dimes. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby crazypennyguy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 am

Dimes are only an occasional surprise for me, but I work through rolls.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I picked up my 82Eisenhowers today. The nerve of her telling me there was 84 and getting my hopes up! :lol:

I was very grateful as you can imagine. It felt like she just handed me a $700 bill. :)
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Congrats on the Eisenhowers... why a 700? I cant seem to get any premium for any I pick up,,,
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PMLurker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Did you get 82 silver Eisenhowers or clad ones? Few Eisenhowers are 40% silver.

Diggin, clad Einsenhowers are popular with people that have a game room with a slot machine in their house. You can sometimes get a 25-30 cent premium per coin if they are desperate
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Today's bag came with a small key....now that would do some serious jamming!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dinero2005 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

PMLurker wrote:Did you get 82 silver Eisenhowers or clad ones? Few Eisenhowers are 40% silver.

Diggin, clad Einsenhowers are popular with people that have a game room with a slot machine in their house. You can sometimes get a 25-30 cent premium per coin if they are desperate

They're clad. After checking coinflation.com I figured out that there were clad ones. :oops: Now I have to figure out what to do with them? Oh well. Nothing lost/nothing gained...
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing